Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting the heat

Fighting the heat

Hey guys just have a quick question, I'm trying to battle the heat here in Texas. Im fixing to have a little money to play with on the car and I'm trying to decide if i should do Water/Meth first or Oil and Trans cooler first. If i have to get a tune to run water/meth then i will just do trans/oil cooler first. just trying to see what everyone thinks on what should get done first. All will come in time just trying to set priorities. thank you in advanced for the responses

Water meth for around $1,000, lots of options, will help performance more. I noticed a big difference in keeping power when it was 80-90 in Oregon. 100+ degrees down here, sure it helps but just feels so hot. I'm waiting for October to roll around

I think the upgrade trans and oil coolers are more for safety of parts, not much higher performance. I looked into this a while back and we estimated $2,000 roughly with labor.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Here's the side mount tank option...personally I'm biased to my custom 2.5 gallon tank in place of the battery.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...eth-tank/page2
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

A note on heat....I drove home today....90 degrees....made the climb from 4200 feet to 7500 over the course of 20 minutes, in and out of the boost running 70 -100. A/C/ on. Aux rad delete. Noticed the power starting to go and saw the temp to the high side of H. Not sure if it's the aux rad delete or something else. Guess I could run them side by side to see. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Water meth for around $1,000, lots of options, will help performance more. I noticed a big difference in keeping power when it was 80-90 in Oregon. 100+ degrees down here, sure it helps but just feels so hot. I'm waiting for October to roll around

I think the upgrade trans and oil coolers are more for safety of parts, not much higher performance. I looked into this a while back and we estimated $2,000 roughly with labor.
    for the oil cooler and trans cooler, i wasn't thinking along the lines for gaining anything from it minus being safe. the water meth was more less for performance on hot day. i might just get all three done at the same time, guy i take my car too said 3-400 to install water meth, i just need to sit down and talk about getting trans and oil cooler installed and see if i could get all them done at once. Would i need a tune to run water/meth? would it be ok to run it without a tune for a while?

Where does he plan to drill the injectors in? Most people do both sides of y-pipe, need to remove stuff up front. We already had the car apart so was easier. Mounted the spray adjust box in the fuse box area so it's hidden, but easy access.

I think you'd be fine running low to mid spray, shouldn't make it too rich. I'm tuned on the edge and run full spray through two D05 nozzles, perfect when hot, will bog down when cool, so I adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Where does he plan to drill the injectors in? Most people do both sides of y-pipe, need to remove stuff up front. We already had the car apart so was easier. Mounted the spray adjust box in the fuse box area so it's hidden, but easy access.

I think you'd be fine running low to mid spray, shouldn't make it too rich. I'm tuned on the edge and run full spray through two D05 nozzles, perfect when hot, will bog down when cool, so I adjust.
    i was going to suggest that way cause when i searched thats how i saw most people had it. and ok good to hear, when i get some time on Monday gonna go chat with him and get a price on all of it at once. i figure its all gonna be apart doing the water meth so im really hoping he can work something out with me. ill report back once i get all the kinks worked out. Oh at lswing what do you think about the Snow Stage 1? will it work? thanks again for all the help i was really hoping you were gonna chime in lol

Went with these guys, few others have, good stuff, basic and good pricing. Thanks, glad to offer some info and feedback. Really like having the setup, power stays in the heat, engine is cooler in general.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

Couple of pics, super clean install, LED's in tank cover to see level at night...Odyssey PC925 battery mounted vertically in back of meth tank...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6-tank-photo.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	15395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6-WM-photo.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	15396

very nice install sir, did it come with two nozzles or did you have to buy the Y separate? what size tank are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by SA RS6 View Post
    very nice install sir, did it come with two nozzles or did you have to buy the Y separate? what size tank are you running?
    You can choose to customize a kit when ordering. Stage 2 base kit with controller, then picked two D05 nozzles, the y-splitter, and the 2.5gallon tank with sump level section to not run dry when low and cornering. Honestly a gallon lasts a while, but I like the idea of filling up less, plus I had already gone to the small battery so there was space to be filled. Thanks!

On a hot day, freeway, plenty of fast driving, think I burned a 1/4 gallon that day, about 200 miles.

what size nozzles should i run till i get a tune?

what size nozzles should i run till i get a tune?
    Personally I would never want to swap nozzles after the install. If a chip of metal comes out of the threading, other stuff, could go into engine.

Just use the two D05's.

You need to run the progressive controller though. Just set it to never get to full spray. Stock boost is around 8-9psi, so set the controller to start at 2psi and max at say 16psi. In theory you'll just be at about half spray at that point as the controller will not open up the flow all the way.

ok, what if i go with the Snow kit cause i can get it all for a little cheaper then the DO, if he cant do all three at once i may end up going with DO, but just in case i don't should i run dual 225ml nozzles or dual 375's, they dont have a 315 like DO does.

ok, what if i go with the Snow kit cause i can get it all for a little cheaper then the DO, if he cant do all three at once i may end up going with DO, but just in case i don't should i run dual 225ml nozzles or dual 375's, they dont have a 315 like DO does.
    Hmmm, well I'm assuming the 315 is equivalent to the D05 nozzle from DO. I'd go with the two 225's, bit less than two 315's, but should work better until you get tuned. I know that in warm weather, with an aggressive tune, I can use all the spray from the two 315's. And the DO's calculator has that at about the max for a boosted 4.2 V8, but not sure how exact those numbers are. I'm assuming you'll get a progressive controller with the snow kit? Two 375's could certainly cause some bog as they would over spray it seems.

Edit; If you have a good progressive controller consider going 375 on second though. Personally I'd like to be able to max out my water meth in warm weather. Just make sure the controller can keep them from spraying 100%, at least initially. I'd hate to have too much spray, then you'd be forced into a smaller nozzle change down the road.

ok i need a little more help, im trying to pick the oil cooler to run, i thought about the Mishimoto 10 row oil cooler, but now im thinking that it may be to small. So what does everyone think? would that be good enough? or should i get something wider, more rows? this is the one i was looking at getting-

http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMOC.../dp/B007ZG28LQ

thanks in advanced for all the help!

Is that any better than the stock one? Look at custom pieces, I would never trust an Amazon or EBay piece in my car. A few threads have great details on sizing, max/best, for custom work.

It's not a cheap amazon one it's a mishmioto, amazon just happened to have it for the best price. But that's what I was thinking, it seems really small, but I'm having a hard time finding one that's around the same size as the stock one but for oil only. I found one made my setrab but they cost a very pretty penny lol. And I'll try searching again but in the meantime what size should I be looking for?