Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 repair battle between Audi dealer and Fidelity Warranty

RS6 repair battle between Audi dealer and Fidelity Warranty

This is my first post. I purchased a 2003 RS6 from a member last August. It came with a Fidelity warranty but I extended the warranty further. Love the car. AC went out. I took it to Fort Worth Audi and they diagnosed the issue as an AC compressor. Fidelity came and inspected the car and approved the replacement. When the dealer tried to remove the compressor, they damaged two supply lines. They claim they are steel lines that screw into aluminum. Over the years, they connection was welded together and they could not remove it without breaking the connection. Then they realized that all of the lines were the same way and they would all be broken when removed. Their solution: remove the engine, install new lines from the compressor to all of the other connections throughout. Cost estimated in excess of $8,000 not counting the original AC compressor. Fidelity refused to pay, other than the original compressor replacement. Fidelity took pictures prior to the dealer removing the lines and Fidelity is taking the position that the dealer damaged the lines. The dealer claims no one could have removed the lines as they were "welded" together. My car sits at the dealer, torn down and inoperable with the dealer expecting me to pay the $8,000 plus. I have asked for a supervisor at Fidelity with the same result, extra work is not covered.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue with these AC lines? Any advise on a course of action?

Steve F, Happy RS6 owner but frustrated

Break out the Vasoline.... Seriously. This is #@$%'ed. There is no way a pair of seized AC lines requires the $$$ you are talking about - even with the hours spent dropping a power plant. Many here certain to chime in on the rotorooting.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Please expose the dealer here. There is no way that dropping the engine and replacing a few lines would cost that much. If you did not authorize that work and sign for it, you are not obligated to pay. If you did, Vasoline time. And if you have an attorney friend, get them involved. Next step, find a good independent shop in your area. I hate hearing stories like this...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

This is not typical for ac lines.

You could be getting the shaft on this one...i would request tobe present when the tech breaks loose the next fitting. They could be stripping them first.

Ask for proof of said lines being "welded". Maybe they were leaking and a previous owner welded them up? That would suck. Maybe Fidelity missed it on their inspection, but if they did that's their problem right?

A engine pull and replace (just labor) with an indy mech at $75 per hour with fluids and other misc. can easily be $3000. So put the stealer at $125 per hour would be around $5,000. Please provide a price breakdown for us here, sounds like they are adding some extra costs in.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Dealer f'ed up and they know it. Without your signature/approval, or that of Fidelity, they are going to be out the labor they've put in so far.

They decided to do the motor pull and all this other work that they had not foreseen. They are required by law to get approval in advance to perform any labor and to keep the old parts for the owners' inspection.

Tell the dealer that you'll have a flatbed there to pick up the vehicle and take it to an indy shop to finish what they're not willing to do, and that they can expect a bill to perform the engine re-install if the vehicle is not back in running condition when the flatbed picks it up. That should light a fire under the ass of the service manager

Be sure to let them know that you're relating your experience with them to the largest RS6 owners' community in the US, and that you'll also be reporting their shenanigans to AoA corporate via the Flagship Desk (866) 892-2834

You'll be made whole one way or another...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I personally replaced all my A/C lines as part of the conversion from the S6 to the RS6. The engine did not have to be removed at all. So that's total BS.

There are only two lines going to the compressor: One from the drier, which is right behind the passenger side headlight and the other is a short one that goes to the driver's side of the condenser.

The A/C compressor is aluminum and the lines are aluminum. If the connections are stuck, then you can free them up using the necessary chemicals and due diligence.

My guess is that a neanderthal technician jacked up a lot of stuff by not being careful.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

^^^You guys are good, so much win, great information, hope it works out for the OP, it will take some time, hang in there!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Be sure to let them know that you're relating your experience with them to the largest RS6 owners' community in the US, and that you'll also be reporting their shenanigans to AoA corporate via the Flagship Desk (866) 892-2834

You'll be made whole one way or another...

O_E
    AoA corporate doesn't give a sh*t about what their dealers charge/how they handle repairs - I know first hand
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    AoA corporate doesn't give a sh*t about what their dealers charge/how they handle repairs - I know first hand
    I did get them to replace a faulty steering rack, but they wouldn't cover labor from my independent mechanic. Was a fight for sure, I had to take many steps to show them it was impossible for my mechanic to have broke the rack (interior seals leaking). They wanted to do no coverage at all initially because it wasn't at an Audio dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    In my experience, this is 1/2 true unless you are dealing with the Flagship desk:

I got strong armed into a $500 service I wasn't prepared to take on at the time but they used the "safety" word on me.
    I paid for the service at that time.
    Then AoA calls me and asks me how things went with the service as I didn't give favorable marks.
    They transfer me to the flagship desk and I retold my experience.
    The agent then asks me "what can we do to resolve this issue so that both parties come to an amicable agreement?"
    I said without blinking "Send me my $500 back or some sort of credit".
    The agent said "Is $500 enough to cover it?" almost like she thought I should be asking for more.
    I said "yes as that is fair enough"

I used the $500 on the DRC recharge and I go to check out and they have no idea about it.
    Call to AoA flag ship desk and using the VIN = all is covered except $50
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Wish I could say same ... but my experiences are far different
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

This is my previous car. FithianRS6 called me this week and told me about this dilemma he is having with Fort Worth Audi. I think it's a bunch of bull what they are saying. The AC lines aren't welded together. I just clarified this with FithianRS6. They are stuck and hard to remove due to age. I would think that it is a mechanics responsibility to use whatever anti seize lubricants that he has at his disposal instead of forcing and breaking the lines like they did. Im sure this isn't the first time that they have run into this. All work stopped when the line broke so the dealer hasn't pulled the engine. I think its very excessive that they want to replace everything even though the other lines aren't broken. He was also having the 75k mile service done at the same time.
    #1 RS6 Mugello/Silver, RNS-E, Revo Tune, Sold. #2 RS6 Avus Silver/Silver, SE Exhaust. 08 Suburban LTZ 4x4. 09 Cadillac CTS-V 670 hp. Sold. 2000 BMW Z3M Roadster Dinan Supercharged, 2008 BM3 m3 Coupe, 2011 BMW M3 sedan, 1990 Spec Miata.

If he didn't sign off again, he does not need to pay. Who in Ft. Worth Audi are you dealing with?
    -Maria
    ACNA Member
    2003 RS6

I am dealing with Kyle Jackson. I have an appointment with him tomorrow. We (Kyle, the mechanic and myself) are going to get on the phone together and call Fidelity. And I am going to look at the car and take my own pictures. I have not actually seen the car since they tried to remove the AC compressor and ruined the lines.

Having just done similar maintenance I don't see how you have to remove engine for ac lines?
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    Having just done similar maintenance I don't see how you have to remove engine for ac lines?
    You don't. That's why anyone in the know can well speak to the a$$ rape being presented by the Stealership...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

my $.02;

Dont take an RS6 to a dealer unless they have an RS6 Certified Tech. I would stick to DFW Audi and Audi Dallas.

75K service at the dealer! OUCH!

Next time save yourself some hassle and call Zink Autohaus in Grand Prairie.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement