Thread: Extended Warranty question

Extended Warranty question

So i have searched the forum, and not found what i was looking for, so here it goes (new guy here so be gentle)

Quick background:
    Purchased a 1 owner, private sale RS6 with 87k on it from a gentleman in FL. Has had every service done at Audi Dealer, and has all the records. Had the torque convertor replaced in 2007, and the DRC suspension fully replaced in 2009. On top of that, there is thousands of dollars spend (all thru warranty's) on other various stuff! (last 6 of vin are 904647)

I am thinking about getting an extended warranty (its currently under one until 7/15/14), although current company wont extend it. The dealer i am going thru is Auto Advantage Inc in Yorktown Heights in NY. Been in business a while and has a A+ BBA rating. The plan provider is Marathon Administrative Co out of IL, and also has an A+ BBA rating, and is underwritten thru Dealers Assurance Company out of OH A- BBA rating. The broker tells me they are one of the best ones out there, and i cant find any horror stories like with other companies i reserched (but i cant find much good stories too). Anyone out there have any first hand experience with these companies. I normally would shy away from an extended warranty, but i want one for this car. I have gone into detail and gotten a copy of whats covered and whats not covered. Also, i can bring to any licensed shop, and in my policy (b/c i have to get most expensive one to cover turbo's) they dont set the rate that they will pay for labor, its what ever the shop charges, they just pay based upon what the book says how long it takes to do the job, so thats a plus. Here is a quick snap shot of whats covered and whats not. I have to get the titanium coverage level to cover the turbo's.

Here are the BBA links to the companies:
    http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bus...n-hts-ny-64919
    http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-...n-il-310048941
    http://www.dealersassurance.com/

Looking to see if anyone has used this company for their RS6. its $5k for a 4yr, 48k warranty. no per claim limit, but a aggerate limit of NADA book value of car at time of claim (says its around $20k right now). What does everyone think? Really hoping someone has experience with these companies......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warranty 1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	15372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warranty 2.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	15373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warranty 3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	15374

You are paying 5 to at best get 20 of coverage.

Put the 5 in the bank and find a good indy.

Other than a few known weak spots this platform is rock steady.

DHall1, i see your point, but a lot is covered in the warranty. If over the course of 4 years one or two of those things go every yr or two, it could/would eat up that $5k in no time. I agree its a solid platform, but there are lots of parts that just due to age can start failing, no?

Fidelity not offering a plan? Odd, they only disclaimed me because they wouldn't cover >120k miles...
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

It depends on your planned use of the car.

Will this be a daily or 8k/yr pleasure veh?

If you're a good wrench and have the indy as a backup.....put the 5k in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by petzl21 View Post
    DHall1, i see your point, but a lot is covered in the warranty. If over the course of 4 years one or two of those things go every yr or two, it could/would eat up that $5k in no time. I agree its a solid platform, but there are lots of parts that just due to age can start failing, no?

Not sure about Fidelity, is this them? Other members using them on their RS6 with little complaints?
    http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

**Update** Just spoke with Fidelity and an Audi Dealer and they said no go because of the 2003 model year. only would cover 2005's and newer (they said 9 yrs is the limit)

This is going to be a DD, with 8-10k a yr on her.
    Last edited by petzl21; July 10th, 2014 at 18:34.

So after much debating, at the mastery level of course, i have decided to skip the purchase of the extended warranty for $5k (and what ever time and headache's i would have spent on the phone with them trying to get them to cover claims).

I do have access to lifts and my bother does own his own shop. But with anyone that has a mechanic in the family, knows its hard to get them to spend any time working on your vehicle unless your a paying customer! I have been wrenching for a long time so i think i will be able to tackle most everything on this car (with a hand here and there from my big bro) and keep the cost's down to just what the parts would cost me, and i am sure that $5k in wholesale parts will go a long way.

Plus, my car is an early vin, but had the TC replaced late in 07 by dealer (but not tranny) and the DRC in 2009. This was a one owner, well maintained car, from down south (yea, no rust or corrosion like we get up here in New England) so that will make working on it that much nicer.

Thanks for all the input! I am sure i will be posting up as my adventure unfolds! I'll be sure to share with everyone!
    Last edited by petzl21; July 18th, 2014 at 17:40.

Good choice.

I wondered what took that car so long to sell. One owner and all

Pics please

Not sure how long or how hard PO was trying to sell her, as it was his baby! But the RS7 took its place! Well, here she is, safe and sound up in CT from FL.

Name:	RS6 pic 1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	15378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 pic 2.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	15379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 pic 3.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	15380

^Vedy nice and of course...Welcome aboard the...

210K miles rolled

That was a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by petzl21 View Post
    Not sure how long or how hard PO was trying to sell her, as it was his baby! But the RS7 took its place! Well, here she is, safe and sound up in CT from FL.

Name:	RS6 pic 1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	15378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 pic 2.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	15379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 pic 3.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	15380

I am happy with it. Overall she runs great, and shifts great and i have a big grin driving her around. A much nicer ride than driving around in the 06 Silverado duramax everyday! I am swapping out the nav and side mirror buttons as they are chewed up and peeling (thanks k2switch23) for a set in much better shape. now just gotta figure out the easiest way to get them out.

Drivers CV axle, front control arms and koni yellow struts will most likley be the winter project.

So nice, looks to be in great condition, nice score. Now please stop parking on the street...welcome!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    So nice, looks to be in great condition, nice score. Now please stop parking on the street...welcome!
    It resides in the garage but had to move to the street for a hot min!