Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit a pothole @ 4mph - guess the damage

Hit a pothole @ 4mph - guess the damage

So the girlfriend was driving the RS, pulling out of a parking lot, stopped for a stop sign, knew there was a pothole but due to rain, had no idea how deep it was. Big crunch, half a mile later low coolant + engine temp spiked. Pulled to the side of the road, shut it down, had it hauled to a local indy shop. Let's play guess the damage! Closest without going over wins bragging rights

I'll even give the following hints:

Front bumper cover is getting resprayed
    Left intercooler replacement authorized
    Right intercooler removed/inspected/remounted
    Both headlights snapped their mounting tabs
    Lower engine cover is gone
    Both sides lower grilles are gone
    Both front fenders bent inward (1/4" on right side, 3/4" on left)
    Lower radiator hose is gone
    Alignment needs serious adjustment
    2 tires on the passenger side went flat, some sort of repair got them good again (even though they're nearly bald).

I'll give you a range - it's vehicle history reportable (>$3k), but not enough to total the car (<$17k)

I'll update this thread when the final final supplemental final supplement bill and receipt comes through (round 4 so far, including the initial estimate)

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

dang sorry to hear that bud. ill throw a number of 10k with parts and labor. hope everything gets taken care of correctly.

That sucks, sorry to hear! I'm guessing you didn't crack the block, so $3,350.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Greater than 10k

Totaled when they find the cracked rad support

pothole or sinkhole?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I am going with DHall, if that deer totaled that one members car, this thing has got to be toast. Sorry Erik, good luck.

Positives:
    - He is still referring to her as girlfriend (not ex)

Negatives:
    - $6600 in damages

Sorry to hear it buddy, but the roads up in New England have been awful too. Been keeping up to the same roads so I know where they are. But holes appear to be getting larger and deeper by the day.
    Good luck.

Just totally random guess cause I want to play. I hope they don't total it. Unless it had a bad trans. Hehe
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

yeah, that wasn't a pothole, that was a freakin' ditch in the middle of the road...i'm really sorry to hear that, that's one stupid way to get a car totaled, can't you sue the roads company or the municipality?
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Liberty Mutual is paying the claim so far, their subrogation team is going after VDOT / Loudoun County.

Pothole measured 7 feet 10 inches across, 2 feet wide at the middle tapering down to a couple inches at the end, and 7 inches at its deepest point.

If/when they total, I'll be doing the buyback because it's already had a good amount of work done.

Still no final bill yet, so I won't post how much the initial + 3 supplements have been, but a hint is that Avus-RS6 is out of the running...

Keeping my head up, and hoping it gets back to me in better condition than it was. The girlfriend was so apologetic until I told her "Yep, I would've hit that same pothole at the same speed and angle, you did nothing wrong..."

I'll ask the shop to take a good look at the radiator support just in case.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Bummer, hope it works out well. One day I tagged a cutout road section that our local municipality was working on and forgot to flag. Luckily only 2" or so deep with 90 degree edge, shook the crap out of me, made it through...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I must have not read the entire initial post, I do that sometimes, short attention span. Given the hint and your recent post, I revise my guess to $15,250.77
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

That isn't a pot hole, that is a crater!
    my guess is $16,998.56 as it IS under the $17,000 limit.

Good Luck to you!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

My RS6 is in NoVA (Alexandria), and the roads are awful in and around the DC metro region. I am also sporting the Sportec Mono 10s in 20". I feel each and every pebble on the road. I spend a considerable amount of time scanning the road for ANY imperfection, no matter how small. And, NoVA has BIG property taxes. I wonder where those go? Obviously not to fixing the roads. Just another thing Government can't do correctly, and, in this case, it's nothing more than fixing holes in the roads.

After 10 years of ownership, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that it's probably time to give up the RS6 and go Range Rover. Plenty of suspension...

When I do finally make that decision, I pledge to you that I'll offer it here first in order to keep it in the family.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    My RS6 is in NoVA (Alexandria), and the roads are awful in and around the DC metro region. I am also sporting the Sportec Mono 10s in 20". I feel each and every pebble on the road. I spend a considerable amount of time scanning the road for ANY imperfection, no matter how small. And, NoVA has BIG property taxes. I wonder where those go? Obviously not to fixing the roads. Just another thing Government can't do correctly, and, in this case, it's nothing more than fixing holes in the roads.

After 10 years of ownership, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that it's probably time to give up the RS6 and go Range Rover. Plenty of suspension...

When I do finally make that decision, I pledge to you that I'll offer it here first in order to keep it in the family.

CW
    you may feel every pebble but damn 20-in Sportecs look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post

CW
    I wouldn't mind feeling every pebble, I do like the feedback - my problem is when said pebble causes a bent rim...

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    I wouldn't mind feeling every pebble, I do like the feedback - my problem is when said pebble causes a bent rim...
    Or worse.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    ...but damn 20-in Sportecs look so good.
    I agree...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Passenger Sid&#.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	15376

CW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	15375