Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First "real" Problem

First "real" Problem

I think I may have my first real problem with the RS6. I have had the transmission in drive or sport mode NOT shift out of second and hit redline and then kill the motor. This has happened 3 or 4 times. Kind of dangerous when you are trying to pass someone on a two lane country road as I was doing yesterday. Dont flame me folks it was legal to do so where I was . Anyone else have this problem???? car is at dealership right now.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Very bizarre

and very dangerous! I hope they figure it out quickly for you; let us know what codes the ECU threw.

Just got a call from the dealer...tech cant recreate the problem, wants me to go on test drive with him. I will let you know
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

re: First "real" Problem

Bauer

Have not had any experience like this and I've done a fair amount of two lane road driving in the 10600 on the car? Did you do the shifting into second to effect the pass? I often use the paddles to downshift prior to begin a pass? Concur on the dangerous too. I don't think I want to feel this condition at all
    I'd be interested in the codes too.

FEVR

RS6FEVR-

When it happened the car would loose power since it hit redline and so even after up shifting the car would have MASSIVE power loss until the ECU I guess resets itself. It would take a few minutes of driving for this to happen. So when it happend I would back off and not pass. The car did not do this everytime I floored it just 3 or 4 times.....enough to piss me off AND make me a little nervous.
    Bauer

01 S8

I had a similar problem in my previous Volvo S70 AWD (manual) after I chipped it. VERY dangerous since it always happened during over taking!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Well took a test drive with the tech this morning. He said an over boost fault code (p1555) came up and that the car was shuting down because of the over boost. Car was making 609 Nm when its supposed to make 560 Nm. I like the extra power but dont like the cutting out:mad: . He asked if I had a chip...which I dont. I told him I had put in 1/2 a tank of 100 octane fuel in the car, which he thought would not cause the problem.

I am bringing the car in next week to have the cracked break pads replaced (had to order) at which point he is going to do some more tests. I will keep you posted.
    Bauer

01 S8

Out of curiousity, how did you find out your brake pads were cracked?

Originally posted by Bauer He said an over boost fault code (p1555) came up and that the car was shuting down because of the over boost.[/B]
    At least they were able to replicate it, which IMO, is more than half the battle. Keep us posted.

Breaks have been making a grinding noise since the Audi Club Nationals.....Randy Pobst did a few laps in my car which caused them a "little" stress. Tech said not dangerous just makes noise. He also said he has noticed it on another car.
    Bauer

01 S8

Wow, that happened to me (similar) in 1st gear...like the car had no turbo kicking in and it would not shift out of 1st. I thought it was the Chip causing it but it happened in stock mode too.

If the car was overboosting then it's probably in "limp mode" where it makes very little boost at all and is pretty slow as to save the engine if something has gone wrong.

Avus-

What did they find to be the problem with your car...I recall you posting but I dont recall what the outcome was?
    Bauer

01 S8

Well took the car in yesterday to have the front breaks replaced and to try and figure out the overboost problem. Picked it up last night and the dealer replaced the front pads as the rotors were still in spec and could not replace under warranty. The tech said the pads were toast and that each pad was worn differently. Somes pads were cracked very badly all the way through some on the edges and the the wear on each one was at a different level. He suspected that the conditions of the pads were creating a warped rotor like effect at high speed breaking.

He also could not re create the overboost problem and I have not had it come back since that one time. His thoughts were that a vacum leak or piping leak my have caused the problem. He could not find anything loose on the car but said if it happens again try and bring it in as soon as possible.

Also, last week I noticed my left side valve cover gasket leaking slightly, no real brunning smell from hitting the exhaust yet. Dealer ordered a new gasket and will put in on when they get the part.

All in all the car has been great and my "problems" have been fairly minor in my view. Will have to see how this set of pads hold up.
    Bauer

01 S8

Your Killing Me

I am waiting for the winter to end to drive my RS 6 HARD like I drove my M3 for 5 years with 60,000 miles. I never had to do more than oil changes! Brakes were just great the day I turned the car in.

Your telling me that the HIGH performace brakes on my RS6 are not good enough for spirited driving, YIKES....

I hope yours is the only RS 6 with brake problems (sorry).

So I have been compiling a list of parts to stock up on.

Rotors
    Brake Pads
    Pulleys
    Surpentine Belt
    Special Oil

Yikes

Bauer, glad to hear that the overboost problem has not come back. As for the breaks, it would appear that more than just your car is affected. I had cracked pads since before the Nationals. The breaks held up well during the event and the pads were replaced (just the fronts) upon my arrival back home. They have worked great with no further squeal or noise since.

Ben
    BTW, for those interested i had the dealer print up a R.O. so i would know how much $$$ i was looking at once the warranty was up. Over $700.00 for front pads:bigeyes:

I met Bauer at the Thunderhill safety driving session and we exchanged info and discussed our great time at Thunderhill. He mentioned his concern about the brakes. Less that two weeks later we are again talking about brakes. On Thursday his car is coming out of his dealer and Friday mine is going in. (different dealers 40mi apart) With one similar symptom, "pulsing brakes during light touch at highway speeds."

I have my service writer sign on to RS6.com to read the posts on rotor, pads, and fluid issues. An hour later I find out that my left front rotor is 0.06 out of spec.and that the pads are in fine shape and really don't need to be changed. Similar cars, similar driving experiences, and similar symptoms different outcome. (so far) My dealer didn't two rotors in stock (only one) so I will go back Tuesday.

Because I had been in communication with Bauer, and he informed me that this dealer had two rotors in stock, that they had expected to install on his car, my service writer put in an immediate request for them. We will see..... They know I am signed up for the driving school at Laguna Seca at the end of the week..... We will see..

Mike Allen at Sonnen Motorcars has been interested and helpful. I know he bookmarked this site and I hope I comes here and sees the overall situation.

I wonder how many dealers sold more that ten RS6's. Maybe this is the place they should keep up on problems and issues.

This site has already be helpful to me. And thanks, too, to Bauer

Terry

I'll let you know what happens Tuesday...

Welcome to the board StealthSix, and thanks for the compliments.

Most super saloons (M5, E55, RS6 etc.) need a brake upgrade for track use. I know for sure that mounting Movits front brakes on my A6 2.7T made a huge difference. The feeling is Porsche-like.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.