Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody buy the Audi RS6 winter wheel set?

Question Anybody buy the Audi RS6 winter wheel set?

One of my local dealers had three sets in stock. These are genuine Audi 5 spoke 18" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 2 rubber. Dealer tells me these are specific to the RS6 with an Audi part number. Price is $525 per wheel with tire. Seems like a pretty attractive deal but I better jump soon as Audi NA has less than 150 wheels left in stock!

Question: Why are some of you opting for the Tire Rack offerings when Audi has a very attractive wheel/tire combo, mounted and balanced from the factory at a very fair price? Is Tire Rack that much cheaper? Or, do you prefer a different tire? Wheel?

Thanks,
    James

I bought the Audi set this time around. I previously purchased two sets (one for our X5 and one for the 540 that the RS6 replaced) from Tire Rack. I bought the Audi wheels this time because I wanted OEM wheels. The two sets from Tire Rack worked out well, but I always wished that I plopped down the extra scratch for OEM rims. Just a personal preference, I guess.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

I think a number of us would prefer an aftermarket wheel for our summer tires, but choices are very limited right now. So we're putting snow tires on our OEM wheels and waiting until spring to address the new wheels.

Price differential

Same tire (Dunlop Winter Sport M3) in same size 225/45 18" on 5 spoke ATI wheels (virtually identical to "Audi wheels") are around $1600 v. $2200 from the dealer. I've bought a number of wheel/tire combos from Tirerack and haven't been disappointed.

M3's good

I decided to just get Dunlop Winter Sport M3 for the stock rims (255/40/18).
    They are on right now, and they seem great thus far.

I bot the same wheels but Dunlop M3 tires from my dealer for the same price. TireRack had Pirelli snows in stock with similar wheels for less but when I realized I didn't have the tools to put them on myself, plus my late action in getting around to it (after the 18" of snow fell), the dealer was the easier way to go. I do like the look of the 5 spoke wheels. just got 'em on today so not much experience with road feel yet.

snows

I picked up a set of Pirelli 240 pre mounted on AT 18" wheels( five spoke) from the dealer last Friday. The five spoke wheels show off the brakes nicely and the Pirelli tires handled the snow on Sat. very well. On the dry the tires are great! Noise level is low and the handling is excellent.
    I wound up at the dealers since my local tire shops all reported a shortage of snows in the size we need- including Tire Rack! It seems there is a nationwide show tire shortage in unusual sizes.
    The dealer had the tire/rims in stock and mounted on the car in less than 1 hour.

JH

Nene-

I thought the RS6 was going to "sleep" for the winter and the S4 was going to be the winter driver? What happened? are you a little addictded?.......I think someone needs an intervention

Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Question:

John you said you, "picked up a set of Pirelli 240 pre mounted on AT 18" wheels"

What size tires did they put on there?

Thanks in advance!

re: Anybody buy the Audi RS6 winter wheel set?

highrustler

I'm with GmbHouse. Bought the M3's from tire rack about a month ago (same exact size as the Dunlop Sport 9000) and just had them put on the 9 spokes ($120.00 for removal, remount and balance from my favorite tire place Just Tires). I'm hoping that I'll get some decent warm weather rims during the upcoming couple of months and then put the sports on those. The initial drive on the M3's, albeit on wet pavement wasn't disappointing in any way, not bad on noise and I've always definitely enjoyed riding on brand new rubber Supposed to get some snow here in the Chicago area next couple of days and then I'll have a better opinion.
    FEVR

A word of caution about the Tire Rack ATI w/ Pirelli's. I got the wheels from Tire Rack (whom I have purchased from in the past with success). Dealer put them on the car the morning of our first snow storm and about a mile out of the dealership, I hit a dip in the road and the front tires rubbed the wheel well.

I went back to the dealer later in the day and they measured the tires and found that even though the wheels should technically fit, they were slighty wider than the performance wheels.

Called Tire Rack and they said that there is a problem with that setup, and that they did not have anything that they could sell for the car that would work fine.

I left them on for the storm and they were great, but I rubbed the wheel wells a couple more times and had to maintain a more passive driving style.

Tire Rack is taking back the wheels on Monday (paying for everything) and I now have the Audi RS6 Winter wheels (OEM) for $525 a wheel. It's great in the snow, but disapointing on dry. But then again, it's winter and I can go where most cars cannot. And my wife refers to it as "the Tank" because it gets through anything and makes you feel secure.

genuine Audi 5 spoke 18" wheels

do the Audi winter rims come with pressure sensors?

No, they do not. I bought them out of necessity and their supply was "running out." I had an A6 4.2 with performance tires during one winter in the past, and it was like driving on ice skates. For the money, they're fine.

Which dealer?

Hi,

I'm in Fort Collins, and want a set. Which dealer has them?

I'm in New Jersey. Audi of Mendham had them. They did not say exactly how many sets, but that was about a week ago. Send me a PM and I can get you the number. Don't know if it's ok to post it.

I found original brand new, not cheap aftermarket, factory 19" Audi RS6 wheels on Ebay in England. www.ebay.uk I will use them when the snow thaws. For winter I put new Dunlop M3 Winter Sports on the factory 18 wheels which came with my RS6, and am using them for the winter combination.

I was going to do the same, but since there is alot of slipping and sliding in the winter, I thought I may destroy my rims by running through pot holes and curbs accidentally. I do prefer the original rims. They are much nicer than the 5 spoke winter rims.

Which Colorado dealer?

I live in Colorado, and want a set. Who has them?