Thread: New Member and question about debadging

Question New Member and question about debadging

Hello all,

Great site guys! This place really helped with my decision to make the plunge. This shall serve as a new member introduction as I recently took delivery of my Ebony Pearl RS6 on Thanksgiving Day! It was quite a sight to see an exotic car transporter pull in front of the house after a massive turkey dinner. The Audi was in great company with a new Lambo, a GT2 and a ’65 Jag on board. This is our 3rd Audi and the most impressive by far. How can you top breathtaking speed in such a civil package? Anyway, I've noticed all sorts of folks gawking at the car and ricer’s trying to drag me. I love the stealth factor of the RS6, however, I’m surprised at the attention the car is receiving. Which leads me to debadging the beast. Has anyone done this, and if so, can it be done without damage to the paint. My local Audi dealer won’t touch the project for liability sake.

Regards,
    James

I debaged my clk55 and AMG badges with a floss.
    There was no damages left after debaging and waxing
    Maybe the car is silver and it is hard to see scratches on silver
    cars...
    However, even if you debadge RS6 badge, people will
    still notice it is a RS6.

Debadging

Here is a a DIY debadging link from PaulW's excellent audipages.com.

Debadging Howto

Welcom, highrustler! Can't answer your question but I have one of my own (for all):

Namely, what is the purpose of debadging?

If it's to hide the identity of the car, what's the purpose of that? I doubt it will stop gawking or people asking questions. In fact there may be MORE people with questions since the vehicle is no longer identified.

I'm a semi-old fart & just don't get it. Maybe removing badges gives the car a cleaner, more streamlined look? Just wondering....

Another reason to debadge is if your lazy like me. I was tired of the wax buildup around the badges, back in my Acura days and now with the Audi. The "T" in 2.7T was always getting knocked around from me trying to get the wax off. So one day I decided to get rid of them.
    Like the article posted above said, I used a hair dryer, some cinnanmon wax dental floss, Meguiars clearcoat scrub. Now there is nowhere for the wax to hide!! : )). I did keep the badges in case I sell it and the new owner wants them.
    The only downside is, if done on an older car or a car that has sit in the sun for a few years, the paint may be dulled some or faded????? THen if you take the badge off, you see the unfaded color where the badges were. Don't know if this is valid or not.

Originally posted by jgun81
    However, even if you debadge RS6 badge, people will
    still notice it is a RS6.
    I've debadged mine and, as far as I am aware, it has attracted very little attention. To most people it's just a boring grey estate car. The deep air intakes at the front aren't that unusual these days, it's really only the tail pipes that give it away.
    03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara :)

Highrustler,

Welcome. Nice to have another owner on the forum. As the others have stated not too sure if the debadging will work (those mirrors are are dead giveaway) but you never know.

Originally posted by ming 2.7t
    Another reason to debadge is if your lazy like me. I was tired of the wax buildup around the badges.
    Good point.

Ben

(those mirrors are are dead giveaway)

"mirrors painted in car colo optionr" works nice - not sure if this is available in US.

highrustler,

Congratulations & welcome to the forum!

If you want to really be steallthy, don't just debadge, but re-badge with an "A6 3.0" or 2.8! LOL That will throw 50% of the population off.

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue