Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A disappointing day at the drags

what were all the splits on those runs. They might be able to tell a story.
    1/8 time and MPH
    1000 if timed
    1/4 time and MPH we have those.

Uusally we can see whats happening by looking at each split.

Since I am not familar with the gearing, what speed does 1 st go up to, then 2nd, then 3rd??

Originally posted by andyp
    One other thing I thought of:

Most of the tuning companies recommend swapping out the diverter valves on the turbos. The OEM ones are some kind of plastic I believe so they might be susceptible to sticking and leaking boost. You might want to change yours even if you don't do any other mods.

Sorry, this tuning guy really likes the oem valves.
    Torque-Factory, Inc.
    Jeff Moss (ASE A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8 www.asecert.org)
    310-466-4296
    moss@torque-factory.com
    Authorized Sales and Service of:
    GIAC and StaSis Engineering
    West Los Angeles / Santa Monica Area

Originally posted by J.Moss
    This is the same story I've had from a couple of tuning houses in the UK.

The latest revision of OEM DVs, as fitted to the RS6, is reputed to be more than satisfactory.
    03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara :)

Originally posted by J.Moss
    Ummm ... money under false pretenses then ... they had me :mad:

Originally posted by andyp
    Ummm ... money under false pretenses then ... they had me :mad:

Most of the tuners and normal clients really buy into the "Need." This does not make me popular... But, since I have been doing this for a job for over 10 years they just walk away, and smile at me a lot....

I had gone so far as making a tester that can check both the spring tension and the holding ability under actual conditions like seen in use.

Jeff
    Torque-Factory, Inc.
    Jeff Moss (ASE A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, A8 www.asecert.org)
    310-466-4296
    moss@torque-factory.com
    Authorized Sales and Service of:
    GIAC and StaSis Engineering
    West Los Angeles / Santa Monica Area

Sure, Audi is not for drag racing, but anyway, I would expect more from 450 hp. I do run the same ET (13,78) with my -110 hp. car. Trap speeds are quite ok, mine are appr. 96 mph. I think the problem is tiptronic, I would consider custom made torque converter with +1000 rpm stall, to achieve acceptable standing start acceleration and it will help also from rolling start. Not sure though, if somebody can manufacture one for RS6 ?
    2004 RS6 Avant

I see a dealer Monday about this lackluster performance

I didn't mention the drag strip visit to the dealer because the warranty can be voided by participating in "competitive events" and it's not clear to me yet, or the factory guy (AoA owner advocate), whether drags fit that description. (I asked my owner advocate about drag racing without telling himI had done it & he said he would get back to me.) But subsequently I tried some 0-60 mph runs with a handheld digital stopwatch & the best I could get was 5.91. So, as I said in the opening post, clearly something is wrong.

Audi has published a factory 0-60 time of 4.7, and fortunately both the dealer and my owner advocate are aware of it & agree something needs attention if the best I can get is 5.91. (I don't believe there is an official factory figure for the quarter mile, although there are plenty of magazine reviews with quarter mile times ranging from the mid 12s to low 13s. But Audi is not beholden to magazine results & that's why the 0-60 figure is better to deal with in this instance: Audi has their own spec and cannot ignore the fact that my car is far from it.)

In any case I'll know more next week. Regarding tuners: I may go that route but want to get it running good in stock form first -- and if the dealer + factory guys agree it's performing below spec (which they do), then what have I got to lose by accepting their free warranty-backed help?

On the other hand, I have a LOT to lose by going to a tuner -- like warranty coverage on a $46K engine if something goes wrong. Still, MTM (Hoppen Motorsports) is near this dealer, and the dealer is said to be mod-friendly, so I may visit there as well. Hopefully will post an update Monday night or Tuesday.
    Last edited by JAXRS6; December 5th, 2003 at 06:59.

:mad:

5.91??? I can get CLOSE to that in my 2.7T Tip, and I'm down about 200 HP on you.

Sounds to me like you have a boost leak somewhere, since your 1/4 mile trap speed also isn't where it should be.

Please let us know what they find, and GOOD LUCK!

Boost leak for sure...

I know because I just got mine fixed (2.7T).
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

JAX what were the splits for the runs??

Maybe that will tell us a story. Also I usually keep that stuff for comparison.

An A6 2.7T Tip with K04's at 1200' altitude runs

60' 2.11
    330' 5.85
    1/8 8.85 @ 83mph
    1/4 13.6 @ 103mph

It was running out of breath due to software problems(set up for K03)
    At sea Level with its correct software ~13.2-13.3
    Its detuned to .9bar since its a Tip about 350-370hp and 340lbs.

If it turns out its not a boost leak, a friend of mine ran .5 slower one day at the drags due to bad gasoline. Put in some different gas when it was empty and presto, power was back on.
    We could really see it in the timeslips because at the higher RPm's the ECU must have been pulling back because the car did not have any power at the middle to top of each gear.

OK, here are the splits:

Best run before AC on, then with AC on, then best run after AC on

60': 1.990, 2.125, 2.019
    330: 5.791, 6.240, 5.970
    1/8: 8.829/80.33, 9.655/71.35, 9.285/73.52
    1000: 11.446, 12.638, 12.155
    1/4: 13.604/103.43, 15.126/89.53, 14.536/94.62

I typed this in table form, but unfortunately it doesn't come out that way on the post. I proof read all the data; no typos. Hope you can follow it OK.

Have at it, fellow speed addicts, and thanks again for your help!

Re: OK, here are the splits:

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    1/4: 13.604/103.43, 15.126/89.53, 14.536/94.62
    Looks like the car died on you!
    Some kind of emergency program stepped in perhaps?
    Or boost leak? Or over heating / too warm air intake?
    AC or no AC I don't think will do much change, never THAT much anyway.

I've done 14.665 sec. / 94.5 mph with my chipped A6 2.7T tiptronic. 2000 kgs and 312 hp.

Hmm...not sure why you rated this thread 5/5. :blush:

In any case, when we're on the matter here's some interesting data with regard to what the wheel size and added weight will do to your times. The times are from an Eclipse GT.

Rim size
    16" 15.5@89.4 mph
    17" 15.5@89 mph
    18" 15.6@87.9mph

Stock weight 15.5@89,4mph
    +50lbs 15.5@89,4
    +150 lbs 15.6@88,6
    +250 lbs 15.8@87,1

your cr is losing steam higher rpms each gear maybe. Could be a boost leak or bad gas.
    I would try using 100 octane the next time.
    Your 60' time is fine but it looks like a leak or the ECU is pulling back in the higher Rpms' maybe from pinging or knocking. You would be amazed what better or bad gas will effect the performance of these cars.
    Does the RS6 come with a rubber TBB(does it even have one : )) ) if so maybe under heavy boost load it expands a slight tear that is masked under less boost loads.
    A vag tool can be used and monitor timing, psi, air flow, that will help out greatly in pinpointing the problem.
    I would have to say that your car has more HP and torque than mine and you should see that edge at every split getting slightly larger and larger but it isnt and mine was at 1200' and K03 software.
    The later runs look like heat soak or the ECU continuing to pull back on you. Running outta power up high and the RS6 shouldnt do that...