Thread: Audi RS5 TDI concept

Audi RS5 TDI concept

If Audi goes in diesel direction for their mega cars I will be an even bigger fan. Now lets see the R8 in diesel

From the article:
    The engine produces 385 PS (283 kW) and 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque and is connected to an eight-speed automatic transmission which sends power to a quattro all-wheel drive. This setup enables the coupe to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in approximately four seconds, hit a top speed in excess of 280 km/h (174 mph) and consume less than 5 L/100km (47 mpg US / 56.4 mpg UK).

13 pictures and details

well this is the same power as the M550d from BMW, so it isn't really ground breaking they're doing here, i might quite say that they're behind competition, even their 3L diesel engine of 300hp came late as a response to the 35d engine from BMW....however it is surprising their lateness in bringing on the market these engines since they do have what it takes to build it and have acquired a lot of experience and data from LeMans races with their diesel engines...

then again, it would be interesting the pricing of these cars, i was yesterday looking at the M550d and that is a bit over the 60k Eur mark for a used one with around 40-60k km and for that price i can get a very low mileage new S6, so for me TBH i would rather have the S6 for that money than the oil burner. I think who ever is looking for a performance car and is willing to spend close to 70-80k Eur won't really be that bothered by the fuel consumption, and anyway these new V8 TT engines from Audi really do have a good mileage and range if driven on the highway.

I like however the idea of a very powerful diesel engine, but mainly because as an achievement of what technology can do with a diesel nowadays, otherwise the V8 TT gasoline is better any time.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast