Thread: Help!! RS6 blew right rear axle shaft on way to Carlisle!! Anyone?

Help!! RS6 blew right rear axle shaft on way to Carlisle!! Anyone?

Any chance any of you guys have a right rear axle shaft lying around or no where I can get one ? I was stuck on the side of I 81 for an hour and now the car has been towed to a local shop in Syracuse, got a rental and still on my way. Audi has no stock for this part so I am really stuck. So if there is one anywhere in the NE US I will happily take it please let me know. I will be at the show anyways wishing my car made it too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	15245  

That's a bummer! I was hoping we'd have a nice group together at Carlisle, but now it looks like we're cut in half.

You could try to call Shokan, they're in NY and seem to have C5 parts on the shelf. Also, there is a big u-pull-it yard on I-81 south of Hazleton PA that could possibly help you out.

Call raxels. They'll have them in stock
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Shokan

?..

Someone thinks the shafts on a A6 4.2 C5 are the same?? Can anyone confirm? Maybe a good Audi parts guy can tell me if I find one

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

If you are still headed to Carlisle, here is a guy parting out an S6 in the Harrisburg, PA area and you might be able to pick one up on Sunday on your return trip. The S6 & RS6 rear axles are the same.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/class...gs/36763.phtml

I spoke with him yesterday and he's not available today but will be on Sunday.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by 04rs6cdn View Post
    Someone thinks the shafts on a A6 4.2 C5 are the same?? Can anyone confirm? Maybe a good Audi parts guy can tell me if I find one
    S6 and RS6 are larger diameter than a base A6. That said, you are just trying to ensure you limp home too, so anything that has the same length, spline, etc., and bolts up will work in your situation I would think... You can then retrofit things back at home where you're not in panic mode away from everything.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Steveken any chance you could get him to call or text me 613 295 8087 wifi at hotel sucks and I can't seem to get on quattroworld thx a lot

I emailed him. Hopefully he gets in touch with you.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

OK so I took the wheel off to have a look at what happened on my way back in the rental Sunday. Looks like the clip that holds the large washer at the base of the spring failed or broke, I had it in the lowest perch setting. This caused the spring and the base to fall down the shaft of the koni shock about 3 inches. At this postion it started to rub on the axle shaft causing a heat build up and before i could pull over ( I was in the middle of DT Syracuse traffic at the time it happened) The shaft broke and the car would not move. So would this had been an installation problem or Koni failure? I was there when my shop installed the shocks and I drove the car for 2 days plus 200 miles to syracuse before it let go. Is it possible the large washer at the base that rests on the clip has a right side up? Possibly installed upside down? Seems like alot of weight for a small C clip to hold up.

Interesting, first I've heard of the c-lip failing to hold. I too thought it was really small to hold the weight, but I assume there are some physics to it that make sense?

Think I'll check mine on occasion, thanks for sharing the info, get back on the road soon!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by 04rs6cdn View Post
    Is it possible the large washer at the base that rests on the clip has a right side up? Possibly installed upside down? Seems like alot of weight for a small C clip to hold up.
    If I remember correctly, the large "washer" thing indeed is directional. If installed properly, it "locks" the c-clip in place. Pay very close attention to its orientation when removing for inspection - it really looks like it was an installation mistake.

I was going to make a comment when I originally posted about it appearing from your photo that the axle was rubbing on something to the point it got thin and then torsened apart, but knowing the noise that would make and the fact that you didn't mention anything, dismissed the thought. As mentioned, the bottom seat for the strut has an up and down orientation in order to ensure proper functionality. Can't tell from your photo on which way you had it installed, but suspect that may be your root cause for failure. Good luck with the repair. At least you don't need to repressurize things or worse - drop the engine...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

True but I did not hear any noise at all! It quietly ground down that shaft like a lathe I guess. lol Upstate Imports(thanks from mdegracia for a local shop he knows) in syracuse are taking it apart tomorrow