Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch - feedback appreciated

Ouch - feedback appreciated

Beast at dealer due MIL, fan running consistently after shutdown;

dealer says needs:

O2 sensors replaced (P1457, P1453) - oops, read EGT sensors, not O2 sensors
    Coolant temp sensor + thermostat replaced
    emissions purge valve solenoid replaced (P0441)

Dealer quoting $6600 - the standard "we have to remove the engine blah blah blah..

Any suggestions?

Fyi 142k on her

TIA
    Last edited by LIRS6; April 15th, 2014 at 23:52. Reason: oops, read EGT sensors, not O2 sensors
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I have 2 suggestions: 1. Ask the dealer to wear a condom. 2. Find a good indy. HIGHLY recommend #2. As I recall, all of these can be done with the engine in, and fairly quickly, and parts are probably under $150 if you get them yourself. Dealer isn't going to do it that way, but that's why it's $7k.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Beast at dealer due MIL, fan running consistently after shutdown;

dealer says needs:

O2 sensors replaced (P1457, P1453)
    Coolant temp sensor + thermostat replaced
    emissions purge valve solenoid replaced (P0441)

Dealer quoting $6600 - the standard "we have to remove the engine blah blah blah..

Any suggestions?

Fyi 142k on her

TIA
    Check with a local independent shop specializing in Audi's. Dealer quoted me $4700 to replace a failed motor mount with the same rigamarole, local indy did the whole job for $785

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Yes, despite what the dealer says, MANY things can be done with the engine right where it is...is it easier with the engine out, sure...but STILL not as much time as engine removal.
    2013 Audi S8

Thanks for the comments, has anyone actually replaced any of the: O2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, thermostat, or emissions purge valve solenoid without engine removal? If so, which please?
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

All of them. O2 sensors are obviously the hardest, but can be accessed with some persuasion. I think you can lower the rear of the subframe and reach in to get them. I THINK you can see the upper ones from up top too? Coolant temp sensor is a 10 minute fix, as long as you don't drop the clip. It is behind the drivers side cylinder head (usually a green sensor on the coolant hoses, held in by a plastic clip) "Emissions purge solenoid"? If this is what I think it is, it is the solenoid feeding the combi valves. This is sitting right on top of the manifold, on the front of the engine, under the carbon fiber cover. 1 connector and 2 hoses. MIGHT take 10 minutes to swap, if you don't take a break.
    2013 Audi S8

Many thanks ttboost
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I have actually changed all the items you describe. If you have a friend that is handy with a wrench, buy him a case of beer and save yourself $6300 or so...Good luck and keep us posted.
    2013 Audi S8

My bad - it's not the O2 sensors, it's the EGT sensors (P1457 + P1453) that need replacement .... still unnecessary to remove engine?
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

The EGT sensors can be replaced with engine in car. It isn't the easiest task to accomplish but definitely doable.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

My bad - it's not the O2 sensors, it's the EGT sensors (P1457 + P1453) that need replacement .... still unnecessary to remove engine?
    At least it's both of them, a parts dealer said they sold the last single one in the US to my mechanic. So now you can only order pairs is what he said, $500-700 for the set I'm guessing...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    The EGT sensors can be replaced with engine in car. It isn't the easiest task to accomplish but definitely doable.
    +1. Connectors/modules are on the drivers side firewall, mounted back to back with the same 2 screws. I do think you can access them as well, with the engine in. Little tough as they are up there. MIGHT be easier to access from up top, don't recall. If you have a tune, ask your tuner to code them out and just leave them there forever...I deleted mine...cut them right out...
    2013 Audi S8

Did you get the codes that it was throwing?
    I could not find "P1457, P1453" in the eBahn Reader manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EngineCoolantTempSensor.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	15165

Name:	EngineCoolantTempSensorLocation.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	15166

Name:	EmissionsPurgeValve.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	15167

Name:	O2SensorsLocation.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	15168
    Last edited by nene; April 16th, 2014 at 02:38.

Ensure you ask for the complementary reach around..... EGT and O2's can be done without removing the engine/tranny in their entirety. I does however necessitate significant lowering of the engine and tranny from the bay. I have done it, but not without also removing the K frame and bracing/shoring the powerplant. It is by no means remotely close to 'easy', but with patience it can be done.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Hope the previously attached images will help.

I checked a previous service I had at 33K miles, and I had the emissions purge valve replaced by the dealer, and no mention of the engine coming out.
    Valve part number: 077-133-517-C (count: 1)
    Clip part number: N-100-980-01 (count: 2)

I have no record of ever fixing the other parts.

Keep us up-to-date though on what you end up doing/paying because I think we all love indy/audi frame of reference price wise.

Talking of indy shops, I think it would great to have a thread on indy shops with details on location and contact (name/email/phone). Also if they specialize in something in particular, that would be useful in the posts as well.
    This could prove quite useful in the long run. If possible make it sticky, even more useful.

I don't know any indy shops so I can't really start anything useful. Maybe Tozo is a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Talking of indy shops, I think it would great to have a thread on indy shops with details on location and contact (name/email/phone). Also if they specialize in something in particular, that would be useful in the posts as well.
    This could prove quite useful in the long run. If possible make it sticky, even more useful.

I don't know any indy shops so I can't really start anything useful. Maybe Tozo is a good place to start?
    Great idea - I'll start a thread, maybe Eric will make it a sticky.
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa