Thread: Gas tank valve recall failure

Gas tank valve recall failure

Hi all,

just a fyi for everyone. I had the gas tank recall done months ago. Well, last week I filled up my tank and parked the car for the evening. The next morning I had a 3 x 10 inch gasoline puddle on my garage floor the next morning (subsequently parked it outside the next few nights as I didn't want to take any chances with a pilot light igniting the fumes [over reaction, but better to be safe then sleeping on a bomb]). Also, a good reason to drag out the garage queen and drive her to work for a few days.

Anyway, I called and got an appointment at the local Audi dealership (Barrier). They are now installing a new tank in my car...at Audi's expense (100% covered). They said the recalled fix either wasn't installed correctly, over tighten, or that the crack had started before the recalled item was fitted and it just didn't prevent the crack from progressing/starting.

Keep an eye and nose out in your garage for the tell tail signs!

Best,
    Aaron
    Daily Driver = 2003 Audi RS6 - Stock
    Weekender = 1978 Porsche SC - Stock

^Thanks for the update and info- Good to see Audi step up to the plate for the repair! Hopefully- they will do the same for all that may have this issue arise again. I am on tank #4 or 5- with the last one having the epoxy recall service performed.
    210K miles rolled

I had the same problem. Fixed, but still leaked. Audi replaced the tank for free (4K charge waived), but the dealer had to fight for me with Audi USA. I did get to drive a brand new A6 for 2 months. Still trying to figure out how to add some of those options to the RS6.

I found the leak a week after I bought the car. The dealer went to great lengths to hide it from me. This forum saved me and told me what I needed to say and it worked. Can't thank you all enough.

Michael

So you got that recall done recently? Wasn't it just a bulletin? I thought it was a bulletin that expired.

I had it done about 6 months ago. The original owner had it done, but they made a mess of it. It doesn't expire because of the life safety issue. They have to fix it or repair the fix if it was done incorrectly. Audi USA tried to tell me it was VIN specific, I called BS and they sent me to the dealer. I called Sarah at Larson in Tacoma. The service people there rock and fought to the point the rep came to look at the tank. He gave up when he saw it.

No issues so far. They HAVE to fix it. Here is a link to the recall notice. Use the number to reference the recall. It was worth the hassle to save 4k.

Michael

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...NR!-1635534025
    2003 Daytona Gray Audi RS6 - Frozen rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, smoked LED tail lights, 25% tint windows
    It is never too late to be what you might have been