Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New RS6 Member in Michigan

that Avant looks stunning and has an interesting story, how did they sort out the engine in the end? have they bought a new one or have they sourced a used one? on the link above posted by lswing it doesn't say...it is probably the only one in US, the only true RS6 Avant.

They didn't bring it here either or it wasn't of any interest for the local market here as back in 2002 the Middle East market wasn't so appealing as it is now to car producers and especially for Audi which is still building up their image. The local people here are totally against Avants, the only ones that you might see are driven by us, expats, and most have been imported from Europe. They brought however the new RS6, i haven't seen yet one on the roads except for the Demo car and it is not the price holding it from being sold, not the case here mainly for the locals, unfortunately it is the case for me .
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Does your rs6 avant have registration or a vin? Not sure what the rules were on grey market vehicles. Very nice car!
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Mik15, the engine was rebuilt. It had hydraulic'd and bent some rods. Audi would not sell them just ods so they put a set of Pauter custom connecting rods into it. Brian Pauter does all my rods for my other engines so I am happy with that choice. I would worry about such a fix except for two things. The car was the owner private vehicle and the fix was done 7 years ago and it is not like Shokan has never seen an Audi engine before. But the fact that it has seven years under its belt certainly adds some confidence to the purchase.

Korben007 the car is titled in Michigan. It had a New York title. I am not sure all the details for grey market either but don't have to deal with that in this instance. Months back I read through a post from a company in Florida that outlined all the changes required to federalize an RS6. It is on the government list of importable cars. So with enough interest and cash there is no reason why someone can not import one. It was a pretty light list of parts. BUT you would probably need a US RS6 donor to accomplish it since buying the all the bits new, if available, might be cost prohibitive.

When done you have to ask yourself what that extra bit of luggage is space is worth over the available sedan. For me I love my S6 Avant, just a power junkie so that is why I purchased the RS6. Power and feel is the same as the RS6 Sedan so other than the practicality of the wagon there is no difference. If it wasn't available to buy in the US I know I would not go through the trouble to import one, well not a 2003. If it was the V10 RS6 that is a completely different story. For that I would row the boat myself to get it over here.

I have the same addiction as you. However I am building my rs6 out of an s6...
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527044

Curious what you paid. You can PM me if you like. Just trying to compare the cost to my project!
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

....or you could post the price , i think we're all curious what this rare bird got sold for

Nice......the only RS6 Avant lives in Michigan! Keep me posted when you fellow Wolverines meet up.
    '03 RS6: Full APR EMCS/TCU, Nurburgring Bronze 19x8.5, Freshly Rebuilt Turbos, Gutted Precats, Stern Racing Mounts, SAI Delete, Aux Radiator Delete, Venair Hoses, Koni Yellows.....

$58,000. Do you guys think that was too much ?

well it's definitely not cheap for a 10 years old car, but being that this is not just any car, and it was if i remember well 12k miles on the clock and it's most likely the only RS6 C5 Avant in the States and legally registered, i'd say is almost a fair price. An RS+ version, with about 25-30k km on the clock is still commanding in Germany a shy over 35k EUR(48k USD), but then again it isn't so rare as yours in US, even though it is a plus one there's still another few hundreds of them left .

Only 3.5 years more and I can have one here in Canada..... Avant's sell for 10-12Pounds and 15Euro. I could land one here in Canada in 3.5 years for equal to or less than the US saloons.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Only 3.5 years more and I can have one here in Canada..... Avant's sell for 10-12Pounds and 15Euro. I could land one here in Canada in 3.5 years for equal to or less than the US saloons.
    O/T
    I remember sometime back that the USDOT (or was it NTSHA) flip/flopped on the number of years delay before a EU vehicle could be imported in the NA. First it was 15 years, then it was recently updated to NEVER, then back to 15 years.
    Can anyone confirm?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

the question is are you going to drive it or leave it in the garage?
    Current Rides:

Quote Originally Posted by essexmetal View Post
    $58,000. Do you guys think that was too much ?
    Well that is a lot, but with a unique car it's tough to really place the value. If it works for you then excellent! I would have rather seen it in the $40k range, sweet ride though!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Guys, sorry I was just doing a bit of Yanking on you. The purchase price was sub $40K. I was actually looking to see how many people would write back and say "are you F**king Nuts". I think that those that answered were thinking that but were respective. Great people here. It is a really neat car but I not one worth a ton more than it's 4 door counterpart.

It will get driven a lot, but seldom as a for daily commuting. For those not in this area the driving season is short, the roads are crap and many drivers are inattentive. Not a good environment to keep a nice car nice. The RS6 sedan gets the brunt of the use.

Sorry if I missed this... I think I read the whole thread and attached link on other earlier post.... but how did this car come to get legal US papers??

I have a little experience with attempts to import gray market cars etc. and it is near impossible or so expensive & involved a lot lot of the time it just isn't worth it. As for the 15 year wait to never back to 15 I'm not sure about that. You can find all the info. on DOT / NTSB websites. First off you need a registered/licensed auto importer for such transactions and retrofitting emmis. equip and usually tons other stuff airbag sensor nuances etc. etc. of which there are very few in US. You can also find on those websites lists of all the many many cars/applications that were denied (even if all retrofit work was to be done properly). I know there is like a "show and display" route you can go that allows for limited mi.s driven per yr. I think 2.5k and other restrictions but it seems very limited in approval, must present case that car is historically significant etc. etc. and based on the many Porsches that I would considered to be very "show and display" worthy that were denied... I doubt a wagon variant would please these people.

Recently somewhere on web I was reading about fairly recent attempts by one of these few licensed import co.s attempting to bring in non-US spec Ferrari 599 GTOs as the US models are very limited and sought after / expensive and all the nightmare they were going through in that process.... and that is a co. set up legally, engineering capabilities and otherwise!! And a car model for which there were US spec models brought in by mfg.er. If it wasn't a model brought in at all I think there may be crash test requirements etc.... not sure if Avant vs. sedan would rise to that level. I know there are a lot of cars we don't ever get here (TVRs come to mind for one as whole mfg.er who just wrote off US bc of all the bureaucracy BS).. It seems kind of dumb to me in light of how many totally unmaintained dangerous pos cars you see on the rd. all over the place. If I was king that would be more of a worry to me than some of these nuance things that disallow cars from ever coming here. But I guess they have to have some system and I'm sure there are many bureaucrats whose jobs depend on this system's clunkiness.

So just curious, how did this car get to be as such??

I know sometimes in the DC metro area where I live cars get in here with embassies and consulates etc. and somehow find their way thru the cracks to getting a legit. title, probably mistakes or inside MVA type jobs. But short of that I believe it is a real process and headache if possible at all. And I know even then the DOT/NTSB essentially has claw-back jurisdiction forever to repo. cars not done legit. thru their process. I know of a bunch of Jap. Skyline cars that were brought in, not done fully correctly and sold to various owners fed.s somehow got on the trail and seized all they could find even thought owners were bona fide good faith purchasers etc. Maybe they would have civil claim against outfit that brought in and sold them but other than that prob. sol.

So maybe, depending, Avant owner may want to shelter car away / use sparingly and draw as little attention to it as possible??

I did speak to the Shokan (?sp) people once about some RS6 parts (they were really not friendly at all and way expensive like barely less than dealer and not even incl. shipping.... but thanks for the recommendation I got for them on here nonetheless) and they mentioned plainly that they had had multiple RS6 avant models that had been thru there. I didn't question them but that's what they said. And they also said they don't like really dealing with RS6s / RS6 customers b/c they are always so picky about the condition of what they are in search of that they really don't even like messing with it. I was like "uhhh OK". LOL

Friend of mine in NoVA who is a car nut and has pretty good basis of knowledge (he actually insures a lot of nonUS cars belonging to diplomats etc.) and he swears he's seen a new black RS6 Avant multiple times parked at Tysons mall in NoVA. He said he looked at it close up and went online to verify what he thought he saw is what it was. I told him take picture next time he saw but hasn't happened yet. Prob. true prob. diplomat car, they can do whatever they want, incl. get drunk and run over and kill pedestrians and then go home scott free... that's happened here too.

If there is a meeting of Michigan RS6s I would be interested in attending. Besides my car I've only seen one other RS6, which I saw last week on I-94 in Wisconsin just south of Milwaukee.
    2015 Q7 TDI 2013 TTS 2003 RS6 2000 A6 4.2 Widebody
    1984 Thunderbird (351 Supercharged) 1975 Nissan Fairlady Z