Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super cheap tires...you're welcome

Thumbs up Super cheap tires...you're welcome

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com

Can't believe I didn't find this before. Checks out legit. Bought some PSS from them. Hope this helps!
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

About a $30 difference overall with road hazard warranty and shipping vs. TireRack, thanks for sharing!
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

While on subject of cheap tires- Has anyone tried the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires? Set of 4 at $524. I had a friend say he had these on his ride- He said they were a bit noisy. Otherwise- he was happy with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z3XL&tab=Sizes

Last edited by MaxRS6; April 11th, 2014 at 16:18.
    210K miles rolled

As far as cheap tires go, I have had the Hankook Ventus (V12 I believe) on a prior sports car, very impressed. I bought them because at the time i believe Tire Rack ranked the bargain performance tires and those came out near or at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    As far as cheap tires go, I have had the Hankook Ventus (V12 I believe) on a prior sports car, very impressed. I bought them because at the time i believe Tire Rack ranked the bargain performance tires and those came out near or at the top.
    ummm, I had these on my RS6 about 3 weeks before the PSS were available (I needed to replace the PS2's that had a large bubble on the outer sidewall).
    I can't recommend the V12's at all and here is why:

Cheap - yes, but then again you get what you pay for.
    Noisy - yes, compared to the worn PS2's
    Flat spotting - yes, if the car sits for more than 2 days, takes about 15-20 minutes to un-"F" them
    Hydroplaning - YES, with plenty of tire tread depth left, I hydroplaned the lardy barge at 60mph on I-8 in the rain. There was no puddle, no river, no nothing out of the ordinary, just rain on the highway. Car "stepped" @ 5' towards passenger side. Then about 2 hours later, it happened again on a different highway at the same speed but not as much lateral travel.

Wear was fine, and if you are just putting around, they are suitable for that.
    Any type of spirited driving, the 'Kooks are not up for the job.
    You would wish that you had spent the extra bucks for at least the Contis or P Zeros or PSS.

That is my take on the 'Kooks = Fail.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

this was the article i was referring to, took a couple seconds and it was google result #1, they actually tested all of the cheap usual suspects...but if you had them on the RS6 ben then i'll go with your humble opinion. I had them on a tuned MKIV R32 with super lightweight wheels and they were great...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10

Oh and i have hydroplaned three times in my summer PS2's that have over half tread left, and with my cruise control on, so not under acceleration

I also wont run the Hankooks anymore. They are OK for a lighter car, but mine got destroyed as well and same problems as Ben. They wore quite fast as well
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

+2- Pile on- Hankooks chunked on me within very short time period.
    210K miles rolled

I have heard you should check the manf date on the tires from places like these. They may be old stock.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Oh and i have hydroplaned three times in my summer PS2's that have over half tread left, and with my cruise control on, so not under acceleration
    PSS's at 80mph, heavy standing water, rock solid on the ground....although basically brand new.

Last thing I would want to worry about at 150mph would be what I saved on tires...not that I will ever know, but just saying....not that there aren't other less expensive options close to the PSS's, but they have been great for two years now.

Edit; Always chatted about tires for cars, trucks, and bikes...the consensus....no matter the vehicle, only rubber touches the road. Keep the rubber side down...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Like I said I shopped around these are the cheapest you will find. I got the PSS for 800 dollars, they also have sales a lot so just thought I would share.
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Pat has those ventus tires at one point too. Leave them sit for any longer than 6 hours and they flat spotted. I think the sidewalls are just too weak for the weight of our cars.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I had them on one of S4's prior and they were fine on a lighter car. ~3400 vs ~4100.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    While on subject of cheap tires- Has anyone tried the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires? Set of 4 at $524. I had a friend say he had these on his ride- He said they were a bit noisy. Otherwise- he was happy with them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z3XL&tab=Sizes

I've run Sumitomo HTR Z III on my Acura and my Jaguar with no issues. My beast has run Michelin PS2 A/S's and Nexen's
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    I've run Sumitomo HTR Z III on my Acura and my Jaguar with no issues. ..
    Thx for the input. My PSS have a lot of life left. However; I think I will give the Sumitomo a shot next time for da street unless future input/issues develop.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Thx for the input. My PSS have a lot of life left. However; I think I will give the Sumitomo a shot next time for da street unless future input/issues develop.
    Yes I may try the Sumitomo's on the beast next time around as well since I seem to run through the Michelin's every 10K miles getting its getting expensive. I can't speak for the Hankooks but those seem to be not a high quality as the Sumitormo's. Forgot to mention another selling point of the Sumitomo's they come with a factory road hazard program one I bought from tire rack picked up a nail on the wheel well shortly after purchase and since it was in the Sumitomo road hazard (think it's 90 days or something need to check) Sumitomo replaced the tire free of charge, tire rack sent a return label for the damaged tire. Thought that was really nice
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

With nearly 2600lbs front axle weight, most tires just aren't up to the task. I was even hesitant to get the new AS-3's due to a low weight index rating. But those French Fiends really have tires figured out to a science. The Mich's do better on storage flat spotting than my high load index B-stone S-04's. And look better no matter the pressure. Run them low (34psi) and they look the same as 40PSI. The high load summer tires can't match the Michelins.

I did cheap tires on the B6 S6 years ago, and it was rude awakening. But the car was being sold and something "decent" needed to go on...that is the only semi-justifiable situation to go cheap.

Nice cars and cheap tires don't mix, that doesn't always mean cheaply priced....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com