Thread: Passenger side valve cover gasket accessibility question...

Passenger side valve cover gasket accessibility question...

Can the coolant pipe be flexed enough to slide the valve cover out by just removing the 2 bolts along the cylinder head? Or, is it necessary to also remove/loosen the 2 bolts on the back of each head?...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Just unbolt the coolant pipe from the passenger head and pry it back carefully. I just did mine and had no issues
    2004 Sportec RS600 + 6MT + e85
    Fastest RS6 in the USA

I just did mine as well, and the coolant pipe wasn't as big of an issue for me as the SAI valve thing on the back side of the valve cover. I was able to get it off, but it took some doing. I ended up removing all of the SAI system before I put it back on, so reassembly was a breeze, but it'd be tricky if the valve was still there.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Mine was done also by experienced Audi mechanic. No problem.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Removal of front bolt only. No need to remomve anything off the rear of the heads. I found loosening the gas lines at the intake assisted with R&R.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Perfect!... All good info. Sounds like simply some extra time and effort and it's doable.

This weekend, I plan to remove the subframe to replace the passenger side differential side cover o-ring, replace both valve cover gaskets, and refresh the tranny fluid and filter.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l