Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Milka Build thread

I tried to register a couple of times but my account was deactivated every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Milka

Awesome build thread, loving (almost) every bit of what you've done here. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have sunk into this build? PM if you don't want it public info, I'm looking at doing something similar (not _as_ extreme) when the time comes for major service around 150k miles, and I just hit 128k pulling into the parking lot for work this morning...

My mod plan:
    --To-Do--
    Rebuild/replace turbos, stock size hoping for a little better compression / less lag - lag is the only reason I wouldn't go to a larger compressor, I know building more boost makes more power, but waiting for that boost is why I'd never gone turbo on other cars...
    Engine out // teardown replacing every leaky OEM seal and tired electronics (EGT's, etc...)
    Wagner IC's, keeping my fog lights but dremeling down the fog housing to get maximum airflow inbound
    High temp ceramic coating turbos, headers, exhaust back to the cats (gut precats)
    Titanium full wrap headers back to the cats, turbo blankets to keep my snails nice and toasty
    Cams and cranks balanced and blueprinted for stock lope efficiency
    Full-Ti valves/springs/seats/locks - not that the stock ones don't work, but I plan to get 20+ years out of this car, and want to do it right the first time

Misc. lines and tubing replaced as available with -AN and/or flexsteel - the less rubber I've got in the engine compartment the better

--Hopefully won't need, but if needed --
    A.C.E. hardened Torque Converter
    Tozo rebuilt // hardened parts transmission - doubt I'll need this since previous owner got replacement under warranty at 97,xxx miles around 2010

What kind of engine bay modification did you have to do to fit the larger starter motor, larger turbos/headers? I know even being a scrawny dude my knuckles hurt just thinking about trying to reach into the engine bay with everything stock - there isn't room to put a magnetic pickup tool to try rescuing a locking nut I dropped way back when...

O_E

The larger starter is the RS6 starter, I'm using the smaller B7 RS4 starter as it mates to the gearbox I'm using and the starter ring on the flywheel.

No real engine bay mods as when you remove the Auto and put the manual in place you make a lot of additional room for the larger turbos/headers. I'm not sure how you would fit larger housings with the auto still in place.
    OZ RS6, 0A3 manual, Tilton Carbon/Carbon Triple Plate, twin GTX3071s, twin Tial mv-s gates, Custom ICs, BMC OTA filters, A8 MAFs, 980cc injectors, etc

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Also, I can't recall if you mentioned it, but what are you doing for ECU tuning?
    Just using TunerPro with some assistance from one of the Nefmoto guys
    OZ RS6, 0A3 manual, Tilton Carbon/Carbon Triple Plate, twin GTX3071s, twin Tial mv-s gates, Custom ICs, BMC OTA filters, A8 MAFs, 980cc injectors, etc

Originally started with the RS6 MAFs but they maxed out at 15psi through the GTX30s. Hence I modified the stock airbox and mounting to accept B5 S4/R32 MAFs. These only added a little bit of extra air and anything around 17psi maxed out the R32 MAFs/sensors. So then went to the following setup with B5 RS4 MAFs. This is the home built intake, I have since added some brackets to hold things in place and painted the silver/grey intake ducts to Matt Black.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake001.jpg 
Views:	1782 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	15073

This is what it looked like mocked up at home.

Name:	Intake002.jpg 
Views:	1620 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	15074

Name:	Intake003.jpg 
Views:	1810 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	15075

I then had some slight variations in the airflow so decided to change over to the A8 MAFs which are exactly the same as the B5 RS4 except they have flow straighteners on them. A8 MAF on the left.

Name:	MAFs001.jpg 
Views:	1592 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	15076

Name:	MAFs002.jpg 
Views:	1563 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	15077
    Last edited by milka; March 11th, 2014 at 07:16.

Quote Originally Posted by milka View Post
    The larger starter is the RS6 starter, I'm using the smaller B7 RS4 starter as it mates to the gearbox I'm using and the starter ring on the flywheel.

No real engine bay mods as when you remove the Auto and put the manual in place you make a lot of additional room for the larger turbos/headers. I'm not sure how you would fit larger housings with the auto still in place.
    Heh, good thing I don't plan on going manual, then. Living in the DC area makes stickshift a non-starter for me. Like I said, I love just about everything about your build, that trans swap tho, freakin' kills me...

Also, what's up with the multicolor puzzle pieces? Just a cheap way to foam out the garage floor? I can understand that, but did you not have a choice of color(s)?

Those custom intakes are pretty wicked, but the engine bay just doesn't look right without the top engine cover for me. Maybe mock something up to sit between them and over top of the engine? Not enough CF!

Happy build, hope it makes your beast everything you've ever wanted it to be!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Heh, good thing I don't plan on going manual, then. Living in the DC area makes stickshift a non-starter for me. Like I said, I love just about everything about your build, that trans swap tho, freakin' kills me...

Also, what's up with the multicolor puzzle pieces? Just a cheap way to foam out the garage floor? I can understand that, but did you not have a choice of color(s)?

Those custom intakes are pretty wicked, but the engine bay just doesn't look right without the top engine cover for me. Maybe mock something up to sit between them and over top of the engine? Not enough CF!

Happy build, hope it makes your beast everything you've ever wanted it to be!

O_E
    LOL, that's sooo funny, I never thought anyone might think that's my garage, but now I can sort of understand why.... That's my lounge room and they tiles are for my son, so he does not hit his head etc on the wooden floor boards. That intake works great have been driving it for months with great results, that dyno was also done with that setup too.

In the process of painting the intake manifold Matt Black, I may yet make a custom CF cover but looks is not my first concern. I'm trying to create the ultimate sleeper, stock looks on the outside, fully legal and hammers ;-)

Saw in your original post you're running 265/35-19's, doesn't that throw the speedo off a bit, or you using reluctor wheels? I'm trying to go wide for my summer wheels/tires setup, thinking about going stock fronts 255/40-18 and going 295/35-18 in the rear, but worried about losing the bead running 11.5" wide tires on a 8" wide rim... At your power level, are you experiencing any loss of traction under hard acceleration? If not, then I have a long time before I have to worry about going wider in the rear, can save myself a couple hundred bucks on the next set of tires...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Ok, so the mafs right after the filter are the active ones then? I'm guessing the ones that go into the inlet tubing are there just to simplify mounting rather than make a mount?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Ok, so the mafs right after the filter are the active ones then? I'm guessing the ones that go into the inlet tubing are there just to simplify mounting rather than make a mount?
    Good catch! I didn't see the extra set.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The guy is smart. I think he needs to patriate to the us and open up a shop :-)
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Originally started with the RS6 MAFs but they maxed out at 15psi through the GTX30s. Hence I modified the stock airbox and mounting to accept B5 S4/R32 MAFs. These only added a little bit of extra air and anything around 17psi maxed out the R32 MAFs/sensors. So then went to the following setup with B5 RS4 MAFs. This is the home built intake, I have since added some brackets to hold things in place and painted the silver/grey intake ducts to Matt Black.

Name:	Intake001.jpg 
Views:	1782 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	15073

This is what it looked like mocked up at home.

Name:	Intake002.jpg 
Views:	1620 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	15074

Name:	Intake003.jpg 
Views:	1810 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	15075

I then had some slight variations in the airflow so decided to change over to the A8 MAFs which are exactly the same as the B5 RS4 except they have flow straighteners on them. A8 MAF on the left.

Name:	MAFs001.jpg 
Views:	1592 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	15076

Name:	MAFs002.jpg 
Views:	1563 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	15077

Yeah- that is what I would have done..;0
    210K miles rolled

Saw in your original post you're running 265/35-19's, doesn't that throw the speedo off a bit, or you using reluctor wheels? I'm trying to go wide for my summer wheels/tires setup, thinking about going stock fronts 255/40-18 and going 295/35-18 in the rear, but worried about losing the bead running 11.5" wide tires on a 8" wide rim... At your power level, are you experiencing any loss of traction under hard acceleration? If not, then I have a long time before I have to worry about going wider in the rear, can save myself a couple hundred bucks on the next set of tires...

O_E
    Yeah it will change the speedo a touch, but it actually changes it so that it is spot on as the speed normally reads a little low from factory.

I would not be running 295s on an 8' rim, hence why I'm looking at running R8 Rims with 255/35/19s front and 295/30/19s rear.

I am getting a little traction loss but that's the reason I am looking at the R8 rims (I have 40:60 and up to 20:80 torque split). This is also why I have installed an LSD in the front diff.

On Stock position/size/turbos and Auto I would not run staggered but rather get the best set of 265 or 275 sticky rubber you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Yep, exactly what I did. The MAFs that sit in the original position are S4/R32 units with the sensors cut and the inside of the pipe smoothed out. they are also positioned such that I can bolt a bracket down to hold them in place. Also the y-pipe Pipe at the back of the engine has been opened up to nearly twice the diameter as that is a bottle neck with a larger turbo mouth (same sort of dia as the RS6 turbo inlet)

I'll be in Vegas 11th-16th April, but only for work not moving over there, yet.... ;-) Would be heaps easier for me too as most things here have to come from the US anyway.

That intake is great! I was just under the hood last night using dryer vent to mock up something similar. I have saved your pics for reference. Thanks for sharing.
    '03 RS6: Full APR EMCS/TCU, Nurburgring Bronze 19x8.5, Freshly Rebuilt Turbos, Gutted Precats, Stern Racing Mounts, SAI Delete, Aux Radiator Delete, Venair Hoses, Koni Yellows.....

Yep, exactly what I did. The MAFs that sit in the original position are S4/R32 units with the sensors cut and the inside of the pipe smoothed out. they are also positioned such that I can bolt a bracket down to hold them in place. Also the y-pipe Pipe at the back of the engine has been opened up to nearly twice the diameter as that is a bottle neck with a larger turbo mouth (same sort of dia as the RS6 turbo inlet)

I'll be in Vegas 11th-16th April, but only for work not moving over there, yet.... ;-) Would be heaps easier for me too as most things here have to come from the US anyway.
    I'm sure there are some guys in that neck of the woods who would love to talk shop and buy you a beer. Wish I could. As the kids nowadays would say, "Mad props on that build, Yo!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beardown1 View Post
    That intake is great! I was just under the hood last night using dryer vent to mock up something similar. I have saved your pics for reference. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks mate, when I first tested it I actually used PVC pipe, even drove it for 30 mins like that.

Any progress????

Just using TunerPro with some assistance from one of the Nefmoto guys
    Would you happen to have an xdf for the rs6 ecu? I can't find one anywhere and have yet to successfully change an .ori to xdf with the Java tools provided on the forum