Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new tire thread

Question Another new tire thread

So after having some fun accidental drift moments on the snow, Blizzak LM-60's are on the way, next question is which A/S or Summer tires to put back on the beast when there's no more snow days to play around.

Almost posted before I remembered to say that I'm running stock wheels and lowered, going to be raising the KWV3's one notch because I'm fed up with scraping every speed bump in the DC Metro Area.

I won't say that money is no object - obviously I'm not going to be dropping $500/tire or something ridiculous. I'm just looking for your opinion/experience with 'anything but winter' tires for a daily-driven RS6.

Obviously, I love grip, so that's a factor, but I also like being able to brake and turn when there's rain / wet road surface, so those "DoT (barely) street-legal" 265-wides you run at the track are right out. I need to be able to daily drive my RS6, and while I'm not thoroughly impressed with the PZero's that are on it right now, I'd get another set (with more than 3mm tread) if they're the best I can do.

I've read a couple threads, everyone saying Pilot Super-Sports are great, 30k miles out of a set, but I've seen great reviews on PS2/PS3's - if they're fairly equivalent on the number of miles I can expect, and PS2/PS3 squeak out a win on wet surface, that may be my decision-maker.

I don't hoon on the car very often, so straight-line performance isn't as big a deal to me.

TL;DR - Which new tires will give me 25k+ miles, solid grip, and wet road traction, best bang for the buck?

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I just got PSS' for my car and I love them so far. However, if you are looking for an all season tire that's still got great performance, look no further:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...%2FPerformance

Continental DWS' are a good choice, too. Depends on your budget I suppose but I don't think the Conti's are much cheaper.
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    I just got PSS' for my car and I love them so far. However, if you are looking for an all season tire that's still got great performance, look no further:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...%2FPerformance

Continental DWS' are a good choice, too. Depends on your budget I suppose but I don't think the Conti's are much cheaper.
    I think the Pilot Sport Asymmetric's didn't show up in my search results before because they're not an XL/RF rating for load... SL rating not heavy-duty enough...
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Pilot supersport

Only tire i will run.

Lower price than PS2 and they last 2x as long.

I love my Continental DWS. Great tire at a great price. Not going to handle like a Pilot Sport but then again its a long life, all season. I like the fact that there was one thing on this car that I could make so that I don't have to replace every 30K miles.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

Pilot Super Sports seem excellent to me in dry and wet...running stock size.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Pilot Super Sports HANDS DOWN.

30k mile tire and reasonably priced.
    And Michelin uses "Tuaron"

There are a couple of us owners that got an invite only from Michelin to go and "test" their tires in THEIR cars on an autocross course, a wet panic stop, and larger track (Fontana was for me).
    The car line up was BMW's 3 series on AutoX and panic.
    IS-F for the larger track (my instructor was Dieter Thayes, yeah THAT guy!!!)

In each category, the PSS out performed.
    In my experience being my first time driving 4 wheels on a track, the PSS were completely predictable and allowed an abundance of grip. The DWS/Pirelli/Goodyears were sliding/screaming/protesting the entire time. I felt like I had little to no control driving that IS-F on the track without the PSS on.

Then the pro drivers came out with a 458/GT-R/R8 V10/Vanquish/SLS and showed us what REALLY was up with the PSS.
    If you know about the PS2's, the PSS are the next "better" step in the line of Michelin (PS3's were not that great).

Shop around and quite possibly you might find someone (cough, Joshua, cough) still might have a contact at Michelin...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

^^ uhhhh, what Ben said. No brainer....I keep the next set of PSS ready and in the garage. When I see a sale and or rebate...I just buy the next set.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    ^^ uhhhh, what Ben said.
    Thanks Dave!

On a side note, they fitted me with a helmet and had a camera facing me when I did the pro ride along in the R8 V10: it was tough to keep my head from not hitting the window or the driver. A cam never does ride along justice.
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Far as A/S go, the Mich AS/3. That's what I have now for my winter tires. First set of A/S tires purchased in my entire auto driving life. Love'm for what they are.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

In 30 years, Michelin is the only brand that has never disappointed me for an A/S rated - or any - tire. The PSS I run in 19's are great too.

Only other tire I have is the Hakkepelitta SUV snows on my wife's Torsened and lockable Lexus GX470. Climbs ice walls. Can't imagine if I had bought studded.....
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Worst expensive tire I ever had was Michelin Ice X2, just horrible...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Another vote for the Pilot Super Sports. Amazing tire, and a great value as well. You won't be disappointed.

Question though: Why Blizzaks, and not a more performance-oriented winter tire like Dunlop WinterSport M3s? Blizzaks are better in deep snow, but the Dunlops are better the rest of the time, which after all is 95+% of the time....

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Another vote for the Pilot Super Sports. Amazing tire, and a great value as well. You won't be disappointed.

Question though: Why Blizzaks, and not a more performance-oriented winter tire like Dunlop WinterSport M3s? Blizzaks are better in deep snow, but the Dunlops are better the rest of the time, which after all is 95+% of the time....
    Got the M3's on the suv, feel very good all around. Nokian Hakka's on the Audi, amazing wet/dry stability, awesome in the snow/ice....

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Worst expensive tire I ever had was Michelin Ice X2, just horrible...
    Ditto that x2. Best expensive tire I've ever had are my current Blizzaks. Aside from Hakkepelitta that are frequently perceived as being the Rolls Royce, I can't recall anything being as good for my daily drive throughout the late fall to early/mid spring timeframes. My summers are short and have seen Michelin, Dunlop, and Pirelli all used at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Blizzaks are better in deep snow, but the Dunlops are better the rest of the time, which after all is 95+% of the time....
    Maybe 95% of the time in your part of the world, but less than 40% of the time in my part of the world. The Bridgestones stick to the ice as well as broom stick shoes do.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; February 6th, 2014 at 19:29.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

May have to try the Blizzaks once my Michelin Pilot Alpins burn through. But since I only drive those Dec-Mar that will take a few years. I have almost three seasons on these and they have been great. Not one complaint.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Quote Originally Posted by NSU RS6 View Post
    May have to try the Blizzaks once my Michelin Pilot Alpins burn through. But since I only drive those Dec-Mar that will take a few years. I have almost three seasons on these and they have been great. Not one complaint.
    when I had the 'zzaks on the ol' N905355, they felt invincible! The sidewall was a little more soft than a summer tire.
    The grip was more than I would have taken her in snow/ice/rain/wet&dry combo.

PSS for summer.
    ZZaks for winter.

Bit of a departure from what everyone else has - I am running Good Year F1's. So far I am very pleased with the performance but can't say what the wear is going to be as I have only had them on for one season. Blizzaks in the winter but I don't drive it very often in the winter - mostly just to move fluids around...