Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intercooler data? CFM flow? Pressure drop figures?

Intercooler data? CFM flow? Pressure drop figures?

Im thinking of changing out my intercooler cores with something a little bigger and efficient. But I don't like doing things unless I know that they will make a difference. I'm curious if anybody has any information on stock intercoolers.

These companies that so intercoolers don't seem to have any back to back data to use in comparison.

Anybody do any back to back testing with intercooler temp? Is anybody ever had a factory intercooler tested?

I can tell you that when I ran rs6's back to back on the dyno the difference between a car with stock inter coolers vs wagners was immediately noticeable. Stock coolers: 3 runs. Wait 5 minutes, soak with alcohol spray and they were still hot going into run 2. Wagners? Didn't even have to spray em, but we did anyway. Room temp to the touch.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

That's good seat of the pants info.... I have to yank the bumper off anyway, I think Im just gonna replace the cores with some 9.5x10" cores from Bell OR Griffin. Ill order some tomorrow.

Search for the Wagner ICs and look for images, a few good charts are out there...

Biggest pressure drop is from the cracks in the stockers Although guessing you meant less pressure since more space to fill....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This guy posted a dyno video with recored IAT at 76c stock and 39c with Wagners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJs83S523rE

That's about 168 and 102 Fahrenheit, respectively.
    Last edited by RAUDI; February 4th, 2014 at 03:28. Reason: Added conversion.
    2004 S4 Avant - 2003 Avus Silver RS6 MT (sold)
    Public link to Onedrive.com 6MT Files
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjZTWt7Mgp7SiVfliUkt64Ao6iSE

Another thing to check into is apikol. I believe they use bell cores and just reuse your end tanks. 1200 bucks.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I am using bell intercoolers and my stock end tanks. Dirt cheap. Cost of the end tanks only run $590 shipped. Realistically take me 4 hours to cut off stock tanks and reweld onto the new cores.

Seems the best way to go... I am going to use 10 tall x 9.5 wide. My biggest decision is whether I should run 3" or 3.5" thick cores. Stock is about 3" and I will already be increasing the core length and with a fair amount over factory. 3" will retain less heat and offer better flow in low speed street applications, but I ran 3.5" in my last performance car with 840rwhp and the intake temps were very low, but that's with a huge single mount...

I damaged my right intercooler with a raccoon, so I might as well just swap cores. I will never buy factory parts for more than aftermarket. Lol

If your altering the overall size of the unit, you may have a tough time getting them to fit correctly. Thicker by .5 inch wouldn't really be a big deal, but if taller, id think you'll have mounting issues.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket View Post
    I will never buy factory parts for more than aftermarket. Lol
    I would agree with most makes of cars with this statement. However, when it comes to German cars I have to disagree. I guess it just depends on what is being replaced. Control arms, t-belt related items, brakes(not pads) everything electronic, and others I would ONLY go OEM. It has been proven over and over its worth the extra price.

Now with suspension, ic's, sway bars, and brake pads/fluid, aftermarket seems much better.

The aftermarket intercoolers are both wider and taller, hence why I would use a the same size core as the aftermarket does. They seem to fit.

If anyone needs a set done, Im about to do mine...

I'm interested to see the welding process involved in attaching a new core to the stock end tanks. I figured it was furnace brazed or something similar at the factory...

It's just tig welding, i build my own, I own a little shop. Do lots of aluminum and atainless.

Hmmmmmmm, veddy interesting....
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

This is a good find. Those are significant changes on IAT with just the intercoolers. Notice how the meth improved but not as much as the intercoolers. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by RAUDI View Post
    This guy posted a dyno video with recored IAT at 76c stock and 39c with Wagners.

Awesome test of alot of B5 S4 cores, which most of them have about the same core size we do, just different end tanks.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...f-Flow-Testing

And Apikol uses the same Bell core's for the rs6 and b5 s4

Quote Originally Posted by RAUDI View Post

That's an RS4 though.

This puts it's about 144F to 108F, not bad. I think the water/meth can come into play more on hot days when the IC's can't cool down, and certainly when not a lot of air movement. The two combined make a great combination of power when warm out...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6-wagners.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	14827
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com