Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler data? CFM flow? Pressure drop figures?

Anyone willing to check these out?
    http://www.kwe-racing.de/Audi/Audi-S6/RS6/::707.html

I should have check the site first. I just ordered the Apikol intercoolers. I tried to get them done at AMD before I left but they were just too busy.

Hopefully the install isn't too bad.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Bumping this old thread, Because I wanna know if it's better to go Wagner or SRM. SRM's price is awesomeeee
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I just put SRM intercoolers on my S4 Avant. Best value out there. Good build quality. I'd put them on my RS6 too but I already had AMD build me a set which I'm quite happy with.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Fitwise, the Apikol take a lot of space up. Can only see the core thickness being increased w/o causing other PITA issues. I like the Apikol since the aux rads can still be used.

Checked IAT, one with stock IC's and one with Apikol IC's. Under normal and repeatable highway driving conditions, there was no performance difference. The Wagner car actually had about 5F more difference between ambient and intake temps. 23-30F is typical temp split between ambient and IAT. Both cars ran the same timing.

Car #1 had this done: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4096386&type=3

Car #2 did not at time of testing. Resealed the IC ducting, put my dumbo ear IC exhaust vent flaps on (rev B), and a rubber lip air-dam for the modified undertray cutout. Unfortunately did not have the chance to retest for data values. I know it helped, as #1 reduced IC temps 10-20F (checked with IR temp gun at top of IC outlets). May see #2 again the future, pending on how long the trans holds out.

I think the biggest heat soak issue on these cars is the intake plennum. Get's heat blasted by the radiators. Kills low speed performance due to heat soak, especially in warmer temps. I wonder how the DME processes the high IAT input, or at least the transition point. It can be a drastic power reduction from what I've experienced.

With that said on the dyno or a long stretch of road the big IC's will show their worth. But for a 5-20 second road blast, i do wonder.....
    Last edited by G2; February 27th, 2015 at 23:58. Reason: saw Chung's post, oops
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

SRM and AMD both use stock end tanks with new cores, which are thicker and wider than stock with zero fitment issues. I don't think there will be noticeable performance difference between SRM, AMD or Wagner intercoolers given RS6 or RS6 based turbos.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    SRM and AMD both use stock end tanks with new cores, which are thicker and wider than stock with zero fitment issues. I don't think there will be noticeable performance difference between SRM, AMD or Wagner intercoolers given RS6 or RS6 based turbos.
    I'd agree they should be very close. Another nice thing about new ICs is not having to worry about the stock ones leaking.

Water/Meth to get rid of that heat soak!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    I think the biggest heat soak issue on these cars is the intake plennum. Get's heat blasted by the radiators. Kills low speed performance due to heat soak, especially in warmer temps. I wonder how the DME processes the high IAT input, or at least the transition point. It can be a drastic power reduction from what I've experienced.
    Intake plenum being Y-pipe from ICs to intake right? IAT sensor is after that comes together at engine intake I think?

Blast each side after the IC with cool water meth and problem solved!

My first summer before WM, major soak and lack of power around town. Big difference next summer
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Intake plenum being Y-pipe from ICs to intake right? IAT sensor is after that comes together at engine intake I think?

Blast each side after the IC with cool water meth and problem solved!

My first summer before WM, major soak and lack of power around town. Big difference next summer
    Yes, wasn't sure what Audi calls it. Not really a Y-pipe like on the B5 S4's, but same function. Not sure where the IAT is off-hand.... The sensor at the T-body is the boost sensor.

What really counts is IAT as it goes into the engine. Whether that is best accomplished pulling latent heat out of the Y-pipe (for sake of clarity here) with h20/meth or just at the t-body is a good question. I'd be inclined to keep it at the t-body. The intake manifold has lots of heat soak effects on it's own.

I've always wanted to "get scientific" ever since getting serious with my first turbo car 20+yrs ago. Some device that could monitor many temp inputs. Stick on sensors wired like an EKG. That way, in effect a "temperature map" could be laid out. Then attack each area with various heat mitigation methods- heat wrap, ceramic coating, turbo blankets. But big charge coolers look cool and help cool, but cost a cool grand or more.

Not sure if you guys heard but Chance at Devil's Own passed away recently. Got a nice note from his wife who's taking over operations. I have been kicking the can on getting a kit for 2 yrs now (lack of time mainly to install and fiddle with it). Will be supporting them very soon. Want my motor to last, work better, and support those that make the extra effort. RIP.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post

Not sure if you guys heard but Chance at Devil's Own passed away recently. Got a nice note from his wife who's taking over operations. I have been kicking the can on getting a kit for 2 yrs now (lack of time mainly to install and fiddle with it). Will be supporting them very soon. Want my motor to last, work better, and support those that make the extra effort. RIP.
    Man, that's terrible news. He was a great guy. Talked to him several times on the phone years ago when I was getting my system set up. He was a fairly young guy if I remember. I hope his wife doesn't get too overwhelmed with the business. There's already enough going through a person's head when this stuff happens.....
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

intercoolers

I have been thinking about putting in larger intercoolers and was interested in finding out if anyone has put in SRM intercoolers since they have been out for a while now, and are a good price if they work like their S4 intercoolers they made.

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    I have been thinking about putting in larger intercoolers and was interested in finding out if anyone has put in SRM intercoolers since they have been out for a while now, and are a good price if they work like their S4 intercoolers they made.
    I have them but yet to drive the car. Still waiting on a single trans mount bracket. Then I can let you know but I can't compare to stock because I never drove the car stock.

I can can tell you that even though they are the stock end pieces the cores are larger and take up extra room. It was a very tight squeeze to get them in and they were very hard to get in the stock hangers. The stock hangers are actually pretty rigid and the height on both was maybe a 1/4" shorter than stock. I had to do some bending and cursing the finally get them in. The main reason I evEn considered upgrading to larger intercoolers was not to lower iat but solve the notoriously leaky stock coolers. Preventative but expensive. To lower intake temps water/meth combined with a slightly more efficient non-leaking ics should yield great results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    I have them but yet to drive the car. Still waiting on a single trans mount bracket. Then I can let you know but I can't compare to stock because I never drove the car stock.

I can can tell you that even though they are the stock end pieces the cores are larger and take up extra room. It was a very tight squeeze to get them in and they were very hard to get in the stock hangers. The stock hangers are actually pretty rigid and the height on both was maybe a 1/4" shorter than stock. I had to do some bending and cursing the finally get them in. The main reason I evEn considered upgrading to larger intercoolers was not to lower iat but solve the notoriously leaky stock coolers. Preventative but expensive. To lower intake temps water/meth combined with a slightly more efficient non-leaking ics should yield great results.
    Are you able to still re install the aux radiators behind the intercoolers with the SRM system.

Quote Originally Posted by mbagge01 View Post
    Are you able to still re install the aux radiators behind the intercoolers with the SRM system.
    I am sure there is a way but I don't have mine installed because I removed the entire secondary radiator system. It would be a tight fit for sure. Also I forgot to mention that I got the front bumper cover all set and ready to mount when I realized it wouldn't sit back far enough. I had to remove again and trim the plastic shrouds because the new ic's protrude out just that much more

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Ok, my intercoolers will be done this weekend.

Im driving up next Fri to test...fit....retest.

Dyno 3 runs on stock ICs. Data log and measure heat and IAT.

Install ICs

Dyno 3 runs same as before. Same day same dyno same car.

What the heck....I may snap a picture or two and take the GoPro just for fun.

Any questions?
    The SRM thread triggers a revival of this dormant thread.

Did this ever happen in March of 2014?

March 2014??? Ykes.....
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Does anyone know if it is same size on the core on Wagners S4 as wagner RS6 core ?

http://www.myaudis4.com/wagner-s4-ic-test/

And have you seen any test on the cooling capacity and not only the flow.. ?
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

RS6 units are bigger. About 10"x9"x4"
    Per Wagner specs:
    Wagner RS6: 255x230x105mm
    OEM RS6: 250x205x65mm
    Wagner S4 220x215x90mm
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Ok good, then maybe Wagner's is not so bad, because on the first side in this thread is says "Apikol uses the same Bell core's for the rs6 and b5 s4"
    but if Wagner have bigger for RS6 then it should work better than the one in the S4 flow test,
    maybe even better than Apikol for RS6?
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8