Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 RS6 Build Sheet with Dyno Results

2003 RS6 Build Sheet with Dyno Results

So my car finally makes it to the dyno after a year long build process.

The Cliff Notes: 417whp and 571wtq

Here are the specs:

- 2003 Avus Silver/Ebony/Carbon Inter. 59k miles

- Build Shop: Griffin Motorwerke Berkeley California http://www.g-werke.com/

- European Performance Lab new upgraded RS6 Turbos; Custom compressor wheel and housing, Tweeked exhaust wheel, Friction work done to the shaft, modified wastegates http://www.eplabs.net/

- European Performance Lab modified fuel injectors

- Tuned by Tony of EPL remotely

- Dyno runs done in Santa Rosa, California at Fine Line Imports. Miles of Fine Line was the dyno master and loaded files, did runs and sent logs back to Tony. Subaru tuning is Fine Line's specialty. http://www.finelineimports.net/

- Wagner Upgraded Intercoolers

- Okada Plasma Direct Coil On Plug http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm

- Fluid Motor Union Intake……..and no, I don't have before and after dyno figures. http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/performance

- Full Milltek Exhaust non resonated

- STE PPD information display http://www.getste.com/

- 517 Built Transmission and TC http://517trans.com/

- MTM TCU

- Aquamist 100% Methanol Injection

- Aces IV gas treatment and Aces IV-A Methanol treatment This was mainly done to help over come in any possible way the garbage gasoline we have in California. 91 octane crap.

- Apikol Engine, Transmission and Differential mounts. Both blue and red…don't remember what is where.

- Sterns Upper and Lower Control Arms

- Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers

- Loba built AP Racing 390mm brake rotors

- Loba modified C6 RS6 (Euro) brake calipers. These calipers were on some Lambos.. I think they started using Brembo calipers later. Then they discontinued the kit and only sell C5 RS6 rotors.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4406915&type=1

- Phaeton brake duct mod

- Sportec Lower Air Vent Modification http://motorsports.chrismore.com/201...ification.html

- Hotchkis Sway Bars

- Hartmann HRS4-252-GS 20"x9" I wanted to get Forgelines for the car but just don't want to spend the money now…..maybe never.

- Vredestein Vorti 265/30/20 tires I got a killer deal so I thought I would try them. Some really love these tires.

- Passport 9500ci Radar Detection System

- Pioneer/JL Audio audio system We also used Dynomat inside the trunk and rear quarters.

- Stephencl Carbon Fibre Air Splitter

- I am sure I am forgetting something…

Let me say that I have not driven this car. Because of work related travel I won't be able to pick it up until the end of January. I was told it hauls ass!!

Here is the quote in the email I got from Fine Line after the dyno runs…..I was not able to attend,

"The RS6 is done. There is some partial throttle mapping I notified Tony about (with logs) but all wide open throttle is done, cold start, hot start, cruising, idle, etc. The results were great. It took lots of time but I believe well worth it. The cold start is as good as it is going to get with tuning remotely. I believe it is fine for a car with larger injectors.

Peak torque to the wheels was 571 at 2600 RPM, 417 whp at 4750 rpm with 18.5 psi tapering to 9 psi. I know you wanted 16 psi tapering to 14.5 psi but this engine / turbo combination does not warrant that. "

RS6 Cool Correction vs No Correction Dyno Run, 91+Meth.jpg

RS6 Cool Dyno Run, 91+Meth..jpgRS6 Cool Dyno Run, 91+Meth.jpgRS6 Cool vs Warm IAT Dyno Run, 91+Meth.jpgRS6 Warm Dyno Run, 91+Meth.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Cool Dyno Run, 91+Meth..jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	14724  
    Last edited by Del Stator; January 12th, 2014 at 05:41.

If I remember correctly the Mustang tends to read lower than most depending on how their setup (they are adjustable though). If that is right then those are pretty good numbers.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post

"The RS6 is done. There is some partial throttle mapping I notified Tony about (with logs) but all wide open throttle is done, cold start, hot start, cruising, idle, etc. The results were great. It took lots of time but I believe well worth it. The cold start is as good as it is going to get with tuning remotely. I believe it is fine for a car with larger injectors.
    Nice mods!

The 2 points above would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

If the injectors are good and flow the same across the board (not crappy re-drills), the cold start should be able to be tuned correctly as well as partial throttle. If the injectors are crap, you will chase your tail on the tuning.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Nice setup, odd numbers. On the same type of Dyno I put down 420/450. Your HP numbers are low and TQ is off the charts high. That tune will shred your trans with all that TQ I would worry. Are they logging in 2nd gear or something? Maybe the Dyno is off calibration? I've never seen such a difference in numbers. Will be a mean machine for sure though!!!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Nice mods!

The 2 points above would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

If the injectors are good and flow the same across the board (not crappy re-drills), the cold start should be able to be tuned correctly as well as partial throttle. If the injectors are crap, you will chase your tail on the tuning.
    I don't know exactly what qualifies as a re-drill. Tony uses parts from similiar injectors to make a new one out of my original stock injectors. They are then balanced and flowed.

There is more tuning to go. I will know more later this month.

That has to be a second gear log with the torque so high. Third is correct gear to log in, 1:1 ratio. Third will not generate that much torque so low I think...and give you accurate readings.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Nice setup, odd numbers. On the same type of Dyno I put down 420/450. Your HP numbers are low and TQ is off the charts high. That tune will shred your trans with all that TQ I would worry. Are they logging in 2nd gear or something? Maybe the Dyno is off calibration? I've never seen such a difference in numbers. Will be a mean machine for sure though!!!
    Yes, I have never seen such a wide difference either.

The dyno is a well maintained unit. But I will asked about it's calibration. I couldn't imagine these guys, as thorough as they are, running an out of calibration dyno. I have not spoken to Tony since they finished Friday. Just an email from Miles who was running the dyno. I will get to talk to Miles and Tony tomorrow.

If the transmission shreads, then in goes a manual... I'm not going to worry about anything.

If this project had actually had a plan I would have put in a 6 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    That has to be a second gear log with the torque so high. Third is correct gear to log in, 1:1 ratio. Third will not generate that much torque so low I think...and give you accurate readings.
    That is what I was thinking when I first saw the numbers. I am not a tuner and I know to run in third gear.

You have to get this car on the road. I got a feeling you're going to be veddy happy.

Congrats to you for sure.

Yes, I have never seen such a wide difference either.

The dyno is a well maintained unit. But I will asked about it's calibration. I couldn't imagine these guys, as thorough as they are, running an out of calibration dyno. I have not spoken to Tony since they finished Friday. Just an email from Miles who was running the dyno. I will get to talk to Miles and Tony tomorrow.

If the transmission shreads, then in goes a manual... I'm not going to worry about anything.

If this project had actually had a plan I would have put in a 6 speed.
    Sounds like a plan. I've only heard good things from EPL. Will be a beast!

I emailed with Tony this morning regarding dyno tuning.

I am Blue.

Tony is Red.

I got the dyno sheets from Miles. Amazing amount of torque!! I have never seen such a wide margin between HP and TQ. What is up with that?
    I agree, awesome torque was great! Notice the boost curve, boost tapers a fair amount in the upper rpm (for various reasons) resulting in the spread between HP and FT.

Someone ask me if they ran the car in second gear.. I assumed not but didn't actually know.
    Nope, this was 3rd gear and I believe we tested some in 4th. 2nd would net even higher torque numbers.

This is a quote from Miles in an email to Terry after the runs: "The cold start is as good as it is going to get with tuning remotely. I believe it is fine for a car with larger injectors."
    Let Terry review and we'll get his opinion on the matter. Its hard for me to gauge things like this from across the country.

I was asked if the injectors were re-drilled.... I didn't know the answer so I was wanting to know the process you used in rebuilding the injectors.
    They are dismantled, cleaned, new larger components are installed and where necessary they are "drilled" to balance. This is not the "drilling" of years past, it's done with very up to date tooling.

I am very happy with the results. I am not sure if the boost drop is a function of the tune or a symptom of dysfunction in my car. I imagine both. I will look more into this.

There is still a little bit more work besides the tune. We have a couple of Aquamist gremlins to work out and she will be in the driveway soon!! This thing must pull like a freight train. Do I really need my F-350?
    Last edited by Del Stator; January 13th, 2014 at 17:17.

True test of everything will be physical performance results. Give the beast a few haunts down the strip and post your times.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    True test of everything will be physical performance results. Give the beast a few haunts down the strip and post your times.
    With pleasure... I can't wait for a 0-100mph run and 0-100-0 run.

I like the intake setup. Do they have a template and sell this or is it 100% custom? I've been told that our air filter area is a tad small for the amount of power these cars make, especially when tuned. Gains should be had by improving intake flow.

Thanks,
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    I like the intake setup. Do they have a template and sell this or is it 100% custom? I've been told that our air filter area is a tad small for the amount of power these cars make, especially when tuned. Gains should be had by improving intake flow.

Thanks,
    Fluid Motor Union sells the complete kit fully built.....just install. It is a tight fit. We had to modify the kit slightly so that the hood would shut.

I bought mine used on this forum for $1k. I see then now and then for sale used. I wish I could have done a before and after dyno but that was just not going to happen.

^Congrats on getting it put together like you want it- Enjoy the miles!
    210K miles rolled

Fluid Motor Union sells the complete kit fully built.....just install. It is a tight fit. We had to modify the kit slightly so that the hood would shut.

I bought mine used on this forum for $1k. I see then now and then for sale used. I wish I could have done a before and after dyno but that was just not going to happen.
    Is the FMU set-up similar to this?

http://www.apikol.com/media/catalog/...ke_zoom_23.jpg
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    kinda sorta not really:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...e-(FMU-Intake)
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth