Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Holiday's RS6.com

Happy Holiday's RS6.com

To all the guys that will pinch a few minutes away from the family to check the forums, here's wishing you all a happy holiday.

I have no family to enjoy the holiday with this year so going to enjoy the day by dropping the engine/tranny hulk from my one beast here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4744 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	14527
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Ha..did our partying last night...nice quiet day... Have fun in the garage!!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
    2013 Audi S8

Merry Christmas!!
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Santa came a bit late, but he still delivered! Woo Hoo. The moose is loose...

Name:	IMG_4780.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	14528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	14529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4782.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	14530
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

^Congrats!

Merry Christmas to all
    210K miles rolled

Nothing wrong with spending quality time with the 6 in the garage even on x-mas. Cheers to all!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Happy Holidays, guys! I'm pleased to be driving my car and not taking the engine out right now! Fingers crossed that it'll stay that way!

Slow and steady wins the race.

Half way there - per see. Going to start reassembling things tomorrow. Assembly will be slower because I'm going to see about having the turbo's overhauled while I have things all apart. Also going to take care of O2 sensors, the oil cooler pipe, SAI system block-off plates, and possibly a modification to the manner in which the coolant return pipe that snakes around the passenger side hooks up so that passenger side valve cover isn't such a pain to do.

Name:	IMG_4807.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	14539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4808.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	14540

When I was first taking things apart, I was surprised on just how small the KKK turbo's were. I snapped a quick pick of the compressor adjacent to the compressor on the FI system for my NSX and you will see the KKK is half the size. There's a reason the tunes on the cars max out the flow through these units. Would like to see what options exist for other turbos while I have things apart, but really don't have the time. Need to get things back together in a moderately timely manner.

Name:	IMG_4810.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4811.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	14542

Also, had another frustrating thing occur today when one of my specialty allenhead wrenches stripped out inside the head of the one header bolt that is tucked up way inside..... Can't get the wrench out now either. I think I will need to use an actuall puller to extract as bang and wrenching hasn't been successful to date... CRAP!

Name:	IMG_4812.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	14543

Don't recall 100%, but pretty sure a socket fits into all of these?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Don't recall 100%, but pretty sure a socket fits into all of these?
    Fastener similar to those used to couple the turbos to the exhaust, except that they have a 7mm Allenhead insert in lieu if the triplesquare. Yes a socket fits, but only a 13mm 1/4" drive (at least in my case. All the 3/8 drive sockets I own are too thick in the walls and don't fit inside the alcove). I was afraid if snapping a 1/4" drive so opted for the high grade Allenhead. Have now gotten the swivel head end of socket stuck. Lol. Damn.

I know what they are..had mine out plenty of times...They are a bear. I seem to recall having to spray some monkey piss up there and hammer a socket in on a few of them. If I said I missed working on that car, I would be lying.
    2013 Audi S8

You would indeed know yes. lol I haven't gotten to the point of being totally jaded with basic repairs or even this labotomy yet though. I do however get super frustrated with simple aspects of engineering that could have been introduced or performed wiser that would have still enabled the manufacturer to shoehorn this hulk in to the engine compartment while accounting for even the most basic of repairs/maintenance at a later time frame. Things like CHEAP fasteners where high grade ones should have been used (exhaust clamps, header bolts, turbo bolts, etc.). Aluminum pipes in lieu of plastic where longevity is required. Improved locations for coolant return pipes that still accounted for the air cleaner assembly (although that would have necessitated another step in assembly once the engine was raised up in to the bay). There are a number of smart pieces of engineering for sure on this car, but it's the stupid ones that sit with you and fester. >ack<

If you plan ahead when you have the engine out, you can make things easier. I deleted my SAI and my EGT's. I also disconnected my MAF's from my airbox when I first got my car. The elimination of these 3 things all but eliminated ALL my CEL's. THEN with the addition of the O1E, it's really not that bad to work on. You can reach and access MUCH more. HIGHLY recommend it. When I had my engine out, I replaced my 2 front O2's, (deleted the rears). I made new catless downpipes (with no rear O2 ports). I upgraded my wastegates. I just bought some 10lb cans on eBay and fabricated them in. Set them up on the bench to crack at 13psi. Other than not having the manual tune sorted, my car gave me 0 issues for the last 6-7 months I owned it. NOT ONE PROBLEM.
    2013 Audi S8

I'm looking to update my tune to delete the SAI & EGT's both (already removed from the engine bay while I disassembled everything). I did the rework for the MAF's a few years ago after the first pair of airbox removals. Again, smarter engineering would have elimintated this. I mean really - this one doesn't get any more obvious does it. lol

I'd like to talk with you more about what you're referring to with the wastegates. Definately want to improve the downpipes. You have any pics you can send?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I'm looking to update my tune to delete the SAI & EGT's both (already removed from the engine bay while I disassembled everything).?
    I had a conversation with a tuner about removing the EGTs and coding them out like the 2.7T people are doing and it's definitely not recommended. Apparently they have added functionality in the ECU versus the 2.7T. Maybe that's why they're double what the 2.7T ones cost.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I had a conversation with a tuner about removing the EGTs and coding them out like the 2.7T people are doing and it's definitely not recommended. Apparently they have added functionality in the ECU versus the 2.7T. Maybe that's why they're double what the 2.7T ones cost.
    Dully noted. Definately removing the SAI and would like to remove the upper O2 sensors as part of a modified downpipe assembly too. Going to take the Turbo's in to a local shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about their condition.

With the various frustrations encountered here and there, I have to say the direct swap effort for the tranny itself once the turbos were removed was one of the easiest I've ever done. Even with the stout 385lbs, I was able to extend the arm on my hoist and lift it up and in to place quickly and bolted everything including the TQ up in less than 1/2 hour.

We discussed the EGT removal at great length, and decided that the rewards were greater than the penalties. I ran with no EGTS for the last 6 months I owned my car, with no issues. Tim, I think you meant rear O2's? You cannot remove the "upper" or front O2's. And for the record, EVERYTHING is easier with the engine and transmission out of the car. PM me your email Tim, and I will send whatever pics I have...
    2013 Audi S8

Tim,

Since you're going to all this extent on the high miler if you want to update any wear items while its out...LMK. Randy had exhaust manifolds come apart at 150ish. I have all the bolt on stuff from the 55k engine here. Fuel injectors too.

Its going to take me 10 more years to reach that mileage on either one of mine.