Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission Code 17125

In the past I was under that assumption as well.

It appears as this is not the case.

I looked at a flow diagr of our trans/TC and it showed the fluid path in locked vs unlocked. I don't think it changes line pressure at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    I thought the issue with the failure to lock was that it was due to an internal fluid leak which resulted in lower line pressure and therefor higher wear on the clutches.

My car has had the 17125 code for about 3 years. Only in the last 6 months has there been any symptom other than the lack of lockup. Lately it's been a bit balky at tip in sometimes, and I'm getting the sense that the problem has spread to the gearbox proper. I've had a 6 speed kit waiting to go in for 2 years but I've been waiting for it to get bad. Soon, I guess...

Started throwing 17125 intermittently for the past 8 months, but without any noticeable change in performance. My TC and transmission were rebuilt locally by my independent shop only 20K miles before, but with 3 year warranty. Took the car into the local dealer just for convenience sake for oil change service, and the dealer rep tells me I need a new TC, total charge would be $4390. Said thanks but no thanks, back to my shop. Ran all tests, logged data while driving, TC temps fine, no other codes. They even checked the transmission fluid which was clean. I was told that with hard city type of driving, lots of starts and stops, especially in sport mode with tune or manual tip driving, that the TC can get hot and that this might lead to slight slippage with the flex plate, and that this might then throw the code. Transmission has been fine without any hiccups.
    Just adding this as a note of caution for those who find their dealers eager to replace TC when all else is fine. Thanks but no thanks!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Pretty sure, the 17125 code means that your TC isn't locking up all the time. This obviously means that your transmission is slipping more. It could be an older TC that has a leaking seal, or it could be something totally different. It may not fail today, next month or even next year, but rest assured it is making your transmission work harder. If you are stock, probably last a long time. if your tuned, not so much...
    2013 Audi S8

The 17125 code means you should buy an RS6 with a manual transmission.
    Signal Green RS7

Quote Originally Posted by 716YETI View Post
    The 17125 code means you should buy an RS6 with a manual transmission.
    Well if I could get that installed locally, I'd consider that, but I don't know of anyone doing this on the west coast. For now, with 2 years left on the TC and transmission warranty, I'll just keep on course and hope I have the same good fortune as our friend in Cowtown!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Pretty sure, the 17125 code means that your TC isn't locking up all the time. This obviously means that your transmission is slipping more. It could be an older TC that has a leaking seal, or it could be something totally different. It may not fail today, next month or even next year, but rest assured it is making your transmission work harder. If you are stock, probably last a long time. if your tuned, not so much...
    100%....

If you have VAG-COM and some time, hook up and log the TC open/close block, glance at the laptop while driving around. Interesting to see when it's fully open (idle), transferring power (accelerating), or locked (cruising)...I think I got that right.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Dumb question but is 17125 a background VAG code or does it actually throw a CEL that would pop up and any code reader could read as a (P0XXX or whatever)?

Throws CEL after about 50-75 miles after it is cleared (by the dealer in my case)...

Any code reader will pick it up.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    100%....

If you have VAG-COM and some time, hook up and log the TC open/close block, glance at the laptop while driving around. Interesting to see when it's fully open (idle), transferring power (accelerating), or locked (cruising)...I think I got that right.
    I know that is what my shop did in checking it, and I do have a VAG-COM, and will do that with my son on the weekend. There clearly has to be variability in this, as some here have driven with that code for years without an issue, others not so lucky. Since I have this under warranty however, as long as things are fine, I am not about to pay out of pocket to get a new TC. My only point for those relatively new here is that when the code shows up, it may not automatically mean a very expensive repair job, but I have to believe every dealership will see it that way.

Confused here...

The trans is covered but not the TC?

What TC was used in the reman?

What trans fluid is in the car?

The code means one thing....tc is going out. Cant sugar coat it or say too much stop and go driving.....did they really say that? Geez. We offer a 3 yr warranty but only if you drive the car at hwy speeds 100 percent of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    I know that is what my shop did in checking it, and I do have a VAG-COM, and will do that with my son on the weekend. There clearly has to be variability in this, as some here have driven with that code for years without an issue, others not so lucky. Since I have this under warranty however, as long as things are fine, I am not about to pay out of pocket to get a new TC. My only point for those relatively new here is that when the code shows up, it may not automatically mean a very expensive repair job, but I have to believe every dealership will see it that way.

Dave, the warranty covers both TC and trans. The TC was rebuilt when my transmission bit the dust. I asked them to use the ACE TC, but they offer one year warranty only, and the shop convinced me that their rebuild was robust and had the 3 year warranty to boot. Trans fluid is not BND. Again, since the car otherwise drives fine, and the only issue is that the code pops up after a while, I decided not to push for a replacement at my cost for the TC as long as the warranty is still in effect. The warranty does not dictate driving behavior. If I don't like the code popping up, then maybe, but I consider it insurance for any type of driving, not a restriction.
    That said, it still is unclear to me how some drive with this code for years without a problem developing. I agree that it would not appear if all was well, but the vagaries of this remain confusing to me.

i know of an RS6 which has been driven for more than 4 years with the TC error code, not intermittent but permanent, for about(if not more 60k miles), the car is now over 100k miles and the gearbox is still the original one, never been touched, only had an oil change, the car still runs very well, if you don't know how to test it you'd never know there is something wrong with the TC.

I guess even with the TC not locking up, as long as you do the oil change to eliminate the residue formed by the TC's clutch wearing down, the gearbox will be ok. I have been reading and reading about this TC and its only main function is to bring the impeller and turbine together once you're at a constant speed to improve the fuel efficiency. A broken TC will not increase by much the oil temperature, so again we come to the point where if you change the oil often enough the gearbox clutches will not be damaged. And, of course, a stock car with a normal driving will definitely help in the eventuality you have a faulty TC.

Anyway, this TC saga is fascinating
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Dave, the warranty covers both TC and trans. The TC was rebuilt when my transmission bit the dust. I asked them to use the ACE TC, but they offer one year warranty only, and the shop convinced me that their rebuild was robust and had the 3 year warranty to boot. Trans fluid is not BND. Again, since the car otherwise drives fine, and the only issue is that the code pops up after a while, I decided not to push for a replacement at my cost for the TC as long as the warranty is still in effect. The warranty does not dictate driving behavior. If I don't like the code popping up, then maybe, but I consider it insurance for any type of driving, not a restriction.
    That said, it still is unclear to me how some drive with this code for years without a problem developing. I agree that it would not appear if all was well, but the vagaries of this remain confusing to me.
    Sounds about right. A lot of it comes down to the amount of slip (lack of lockup) actually occurring. Then add in a tuned car and driving habits and you'll get a 6 month to 4 year time frame of trans destruction.

Last time I checked in, when the TC doesn't lock it's permanently in max power transfer mode (regulating), therefore constantly sending max power to the trans and it's clutches. The trans clutches will always try and lockup on each shift, that is Valve Body dependent. What you don't want is max power transfer from the engine at all times. The TC actually sends more TQ through when in it's regulating stage.

Switch to BND trans fluid and retest. His friction modifier add pack is better and his high temp add pack is superior.

I have more but only a second to hammer this out while traveling

Hello fellas. Its been a while.

Willy B!!!!!

How the heck are ya

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Willy B!!!!!

How the heck are ya
    I tried to pm you Dave. Your box is full. I'm great. Retired now. Finally back in an Audi. I posted in the RS4 S4 forum. RS4 Line is the title of the thread.