Thread: Here we go: slipping trans in cold weather

Here we go: slipping trans in cold weather

The real reason for logging on tonight--

After sitting in the cold all day, noticed the TC took a few miles to finally lock-up. It was, still is, 33-34F out. First time it's happened. Once warmed up, lock up was normal. Zipped around someone on a 5 to 4 shift (10 miles into the 16 mile drive) and all was a-ok. The morning drive in was fine, but the car is garaged and it stays at about 45F. And it takes longer getting to the freeway.

Trans fluid and filter were changed last summer (and done the year prior). The fluid is Amsoil ATF, great stuff, but maybe a bit slippery especially in the cold (I will try my own ATF "blend" soon). Or my previously abused (lack of service) transmission is showing signs it's headed south....

Anyone else notice the effects of cold weather on their cars?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Both of the Audi automatic transmissions I own make a rattling sound (kind of like ball bearings dropping into an empty coffee can crossed with a pigeon warble) when they first start up in cold weather. My A6 has been doing it for years below about 20 F, and the RS6 started doing it last winter. Not sure what it is. Apparently a common problem on the 4 speed ZF at least -- the most plausible theory I've heard is cavitation due to a sticky air vent valve (??). FWIW.

The Tcu doesn't allow the converter to lock until it's up to temp. This is normal. I don't know what the exact temp is. Maybe Tozo or Google would?

I think there is a reason for this, but don't know for sure. I just assume so other trans components won't break/wear faster.

edit: this is also why your trans will go to shit if your temp sensor is faulty. Converter never really locks.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    edit: this is also why your trans will go to shit if your temp sensor is faulty. Converter never really locks.
    Just replaced my sensor yesterday, will see if it wants to hold gears better. It always said it was locking, at least when I drove around with the laptop hooked up, but it still felt mushy, or I was worried it was locking late.

G2, that's a tough one, guessing you gave it gas and the rpm's went up without much movement in the car. Seems like if it's the TC you would get a code soon. When my TC failed a few years back would get the code every 75 miles or so.

The one time I was getting real noticeable slip was when my box was on the way out, about a year after the new TC. I remember going around a corner, giving it some gas in third, rpm's spiked. It still drug on for 6 months or so...

My current issue with either the clutch's, or hopefully the temp sensor, has me thinking stuff feels a bit mushy, but no real slipping except that odd gear jump from 3-4 under WOT.

Just to throw it out, my trans builder recommended this fluid, http://www.schaefferoil.com/transmission-fluid.html.

Good luck on a speedy fix!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

20C if memory serves

Same here started slipping with cold weather.
    6spd complete

The TC will not lock below 30C.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    The TC will not lock below 30C.
    Better than google.

Quick question Tozo, my trans has about 20k on it. I'm thinking about a fluid change. Should I do the filter too?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I've noticed the ball bearing sound in cold weather occaisonally if my car has been sitting for a week or so(guess everything has drained down and the internals are fairly dry). I do recognize that the TC doesn't lock up until warm, and I do drive my cars hard but I am anal about the fluids I use and always letting them warm up. I idle them for a few minutes before movement and never get into boost until the oil temp is just about up to normal (way after the water temp is up).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Better than google.

Quick question Tozo, my trans has about 20k on it. I'm thinking about a fluid change. Should I do the filter too?
    I would change fluid/filter every 35-40K.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I would change fluid/filter every 35-40K.
    thanks tozo.