Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2007 s6 v10...

The bold formatting utilization/placement swayed the argument for me..;0
    Last edited by MaxRS6; December 9th, 2013 at 17:13.
    210K miles rolled

Survey says....

If you dont want carbon deposits. Then buy this

[IMG][/IMG]

But watchout for too much of a bad thing....

GIAC FTW!!!! No carbon there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    The bold formatting utilization/placement swayed the argument for me..
    No argument here - just comments in an attempt to keep things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    Seriously, you guys are hilarious. Your cars are among the least reliable Audis produced in the past decade, and yet you're scared off by a "problem" which has yet to cause any actual issues for any 3.0Tfsi owners (that I'm aware of)? Really??

I'm at 64K trouble free miles so far, and was at the drag strip a couple of weeks ago. Car runs as strong as it ever has, and I've been tuned since new.

If my car needs a $500 carbon cleaning at oh, I dunno, 125K miles, I''ll still be MANY THOUSANDS of dollars ahead in maintenance and repair costs vs. any RS 6 owner at similar mileage.

Don't get me wrong - I love RS 6s, but the B8 S4 is a much better car in every way, as it should be with a decade's worth of further refinement and quality improvements on Audi's part.
    Sorry if I sounded a little harsh. I actually do like the B8 S4 and I have no doubts it is a great car!

There just seems to be a systemic "Carbon Issues" with DI engines on Audi cars.

Turns out from evidence that the B8 S4 may suffer carbon issues. Disappointing.

Agree the RS6 can be unreliable and a possible maintenance nightmare at times. But when they are looked after and running right they are a awesome car and in my opinion there is not much out there that is 4 door.. v8TT.. 4x4 and relatively cheap to buy.

FWIW, I'm looking at a certified 2010 A6 3.0T with 48k miles right now. It was supposed to be through service for me to look at, but they are having to do a secondary air injection carbon cleaning on the car. I drove it. Didn't notice anything "off" with the car, but it must rough start/idle or something when cold for them to have found the issue (or they are clearing the CEL before I test drive it). Allegedly being more frequent with oil changes (every 3-5k miles) greatly reduces the likelihood of carbon buildup, but my guess is you run into it at some point if you have a direct injection Audi engine (at least that's how I'm looking at ownership).

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubs View Post
    FWIW, I'm looking at a certified 2010 A6 3.0T with 48k miles right now. It was supposed to be through service for me to look at, but they are having to do a secondary air injection carbon cleaning on the car. I drove it. Didn't notice anything "off" with the car, but it must rough start/idle or something when cold for them to have found the issue (or they are clearing the CEL before I test drive it). Allegedly being more frequent with oil changes (every 3-5k miles) greatly reduces the likelihood of carbon buildup, but my guess is you run into it at some point if you have a direct injection Audi engine (at least that's how I'm looking at ownership).
    I think you're right with your suspicions on the car. Do they have service record oil changes? So far that seems like a big difference maker, and something I do anyway...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Also to note.

Need to control blowby in the engine as best you can. This means highest quality oil and short change intervals.

I have made the change to Quantum Blue from BND/Brian for both my RS6s.

Then, you need to keep carbon out of the intake passages and cylinders as best you can. I use BND Aces IV on all my vehicles including the big ol Cummins I have in the motorhome. I don't know how much it helps because I cant ride in my cylinders down the road but the cars perform better and that is good enough for me. Better performance and more fuel mileage.

Now, if the 3.0t has that intake track spray for fuel this would clearly help. The Aces that is.

I don't work for Aces. I don't make a cent for telling everyone I use the products. I just keep my cars a long time. ;-)

Edit: Funny story....I missed a tank fill up with Aces in #3 and the next morning when I had a wide open on ramp to a 75mph hwy I was able to have some fun. Well, that is until I had ping. Tune was dialed for the fuel octane w/aces and a full tank fill up showed poor fuel quality on the first wot run. I cant leave this 91oct ethanol AZ fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubs View Post

Most people that own very high end cars don't actually drive them much. An RS6 stands out and gets far more miles for the dollar. Personal experience seeing how 911 Gt3's. F360/f430's and other older Ferrari's become like maintaining a helicopter. $6k for timing belts on a 30 year old 328, only worth about 4-5 times that. None are daily drivers...

Compared to the broad array of Euro vehicles I see VAG is not exclusive to various issues, including carbonization. Case in point is a 04 BMW 745, with severe carbon issues that's ruined the cats and requires costly carbon cleaning (dealers are known to remove the heads). Plus major oil leaks that recently racked up $4k at the dealer (and another $5k when I'm done with it). All at 90k miles. Why? From what I can tell it's mostly poor oil maintenance, and a failing PCV system. The heads are known for passing oil at the valve guides (oil issue). Last BMW we saw was a 330, which are known for having throw away engines. I can also pick on Volvo and Saab and Mercedes...

So far Audi has stacked up very well. Use the best oil and change it frequently, especially so on FSI and timing chain engines. I don't expect this debate will ever end, due to a myriad of variables that create a truly "moving target" issue....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Ok, looking at a 2008 A4 S Line with 3.2 FSI and 6 speed auto paddle shifting, 65k miles, clean. Owner says oil has been changed routinely.

I agree FSI could be an issue, many cars have issues though. Seems like the 3.2 would have some pep, will see...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sounds nice. I was impressed with the 3.2FSI in a A6 avant, plenty spunky. And especially so in the v8 S5....

Look at the oil cap and inside the valve cover for excessive buildup.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

On a related note, Audi's 3.0 Tfsi engine was just awarded a spot on "Ward's 10 best engines" list for the 5th consecutive year:

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-te...0-best-engines