Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I didn't buy an RS6 after all...

So I didn't buy an RS6 after all...

After an exhausting (pun intended) search beginning in January this year, I have finally purchased a car! I was looking for a fun to drive sedan that would be a good highway car to drive to and from events with my camera gear and any passengers I might need to pick up, flag girls, etc. I was originally looking for Audi RS6's but after talking to several sellers (no one on here) who got tight lipped when I started asking about service history and so forth, I got burnt out on them. Around that time, I rode in my friend Kyle's G8 GXP and realized it was exactly what I was looking for. So I changed focus around the summer to looking at GXP's and came across this one on Cars.com.

I spoke with the seller, Eric, and we coordinated via email for the past few weeks until we settled on a price and arranged a time to meet up. Dad and I flew up to Pittsburgh to pick it up this past Thursday and Eric picked us up at the hotel Friday morning. Eric was very friendly and it was obvious he took great care of this car. He was the 2nd owner. He said he was selling it so that he could move on to something else, possibly some classic muscle that he could work on with his dad.

This car is black on black with the 6 speed manual transmission and the sunroof (the only two options on GXP's). It had just a hair over 15k miles on it at the time of purchase. It is all stock except window tint.

We drove down to I81 and headed south through Virginia; made it to Dad's house in NC around 10pm. We averaged 26mpg on the highway. The car is a dream to drive. It feels raw yet just refined enough to be comfortable at the same time. The sound is fantastic, the torque is evil-grin-inducing, the seats are comfortable, lots of room inside and the trunk, and it turns heads. It's an amazing car all around.

I don't really have a lot of plans for it, I truly like it just the way it is but I'm sure I'll find some things to do. It will stay mostly this way until it's paid off, then I may do some performance mods but I'll figure that out later.

First bath:

Eric let me borrow his tag since we couldn't get a transit tag

Me and the GXP

All cleaned up, at least for a few minutes

Thanks for looking, I will update this thread as I start to mod it.
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Cool car, and congratulations!

This is a first for me actually, can't recall I've seen one before.

Cool car, and congratulations!

This is a first for me actually, can't recall I've seen one before.

Yeah, they are very rare. Total GXP production was 1,829 units. 841 were manual. Only 81 were Panther Black Metalic with a manual and sunroof according to g8gxp.net. I think the seller said this one was #289 in the production run. I need to confirm this with a spreadsheet over on g8board that lists all the VIN's in order. The interior is definitely no Audi but it is a really nice place to be anyway and good Lord this thing is fun to drive!
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs

Bought a "GXP" tag for the front off of Amazon. It's definitely not OEM quality like you would have been able to pick up at a GM parts counter a few years ago but it seemed to be my only option these days. Today, the sun broke out for a few hours so I pulled the G8 out of the garage, cleaned the garage out and moved my car care stuff down to the garage. Parked the both vehicles together and stopped to take a quick pic before getting back to work...

Well done! Congrats

I hear that is a fine chassis. Get some clear bra on that front end...esp those fender flares.

I'm afraid it's too late for clear bra, there's already a few rock chips. However, if I were to ever repaint the front end, I'd get all that fixed, ditch the front plate bracket and then put a clear bra on. I'm not even considering that at this point though.

went to Cars & Coffee Upstate this morning and parked with some other fellow Holdens. That's Wendel's white GT on the right, Kyle's silver GXP in the middle and mine down on the end...

Kyle said his wheels were "competition gray" lol

front tag helps A LOT lol

oh yea, there was a C6Z next to us as well

Nice! Another rare, powerful big saloon car

Yeah I stayed in the same ball park, just switched to a different team. I'm not trying to stir the pot sticking around, I hope you guys can appreciate car enthusiasts, no matter what brand they drive. I'm a big Audi fan, this just made more sense to me both short term and long term. Securing a loan was not nearly as much of a problem either.

Pulled the GXP out of the garage during the warmer part of today (55*) to give it a bath so I could install my new VG SharkFin and replace the unsightly factory antenna.

Before SharkFin

After!

Mileage: 16,510

That old antenna just didn't fit that car at all.

Tell me about it... It's not like sharkfin style covers are expensive either :facepalm:

Oh well, got that remedied. Dad ordered me something pretty cool, but small, for the car for Christmas. It should be here next week. I'll post that up once I get it in the car

Curious, how many Rs'6 were driven before changing direction?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Curious, how many Rs'6 were driven before changing direction?
    I never drove one, if I'm honest. There were a lot of things that contributed to me swaying to a different car, the biggest two were factory manual transmission availability and the difficulty in securing a loan on a 10 year old car. I had money to put down but it seemed like everyone wanted 5-10k over book value.

Never seen this car before. Enjoy in good Health!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Never seen this car before. Enjoy in good Health!
    Thanks! Y'all don't get the Vauxhall VXR8?

My father ordered me an dash plaque from Third Shift Studios as a Christmas gift. It was finally delivered today in the mail. Here's some pics, came out pretty nice I think!

Before (above the air vents)

Installed

After!