Thread: Swapping steering wheels

Mech Swapping steering wheels

How difficult would it be to swap steering wheel on the RS6 with something with a square bottom from another RS.
    Similar to what the TT-RS has. Anyone done this?

Call Riccardo @ Raven Motorsports in Long Beach California. They swapped an R8 steering wheel on his manual RS6...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If it were possible to do that and make use of the audio and Bluetooth controls, that would be geeeeenious!

Round airbags are 2 stage. ours are single stage. You can swap those wheels all day long but airbags will not function (i.e., leave unplugged). Obviously, that is the undesirable route but there are very few folks in the US who have successfully worked out the single stage/double stage issues and installed on C5 platform. I considered this too over the last few years and have several times done a deep dive into research with multiple leads for excellent sources. I always end up in a dead-end. The one question I kept asking myself: If you work out the electronics how will you know its confirmed functional without test blowing several airbags (~$400+ each). And, how do you know if you buy a retrofit harness from a low or high-end vendor that they have tested it and confirm fully functional. It scared me a little too much to know that I really could never be sure a round airbag (flat bottom or round bottom wheels) would not blow in my face one day.

But, all that said, I will be curious what you find in your venture so keep us all posted. Oh, the volume, bluetooth, up/down, etc buttons/controls can easily be reworked... and, safe, if you screw up.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad