Thread: RS6 Driveshaft - oil leak

Mech RS6 Driveshaft - oil leak

Just came back from my 21-day European vacation, and the RS6 started up right away.
    Unfortunately there were 3 oil leaks identified, and needed immediate attention.

The second oil leak seems to be in the driveshaft, around center of the car.
    There is some sort of pan or shield in front of it, making it more difficult to identify real location.
    Also it is between the exhaust pipes.

Car going in for service.
    Anyone ever had this type of leak that can share some info?

Most likely trans rear output shaft seal.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Most likely trans rear output shaft seal.
    Let it leak and wait for the inevitable catastrophic trans failure, then fix it. My 0.02

^^^
    Agree with this...
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Yea, output shaft from the Center differential is not and uncommon leak. That cover easily removes with two bolts but almost guaranteed that is what it is. PIA to replace unless you have a lift.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Not sure letting it leak is the proper approach, given the tranny replacement would be out of pocket.
    It sounds cheaper to just replace the seal at this point.
    Thanks everyone for the pointers.

Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

That is awesome. Thanks for the information. I was going to have the tranny oil replaced too, and this is perfect information.

Allowing the leak to continue will eventually ruin the center diff. The oil is under great stress and heat. An older car needs updated care "tactics".

I do this repair a handful of times each year. Have an S6 that's next, just finished an S4. The main reason for seal failure is from the seal being over heated. The catalytic converters heat soak the center diff. An S8 I did lasted about 3.5yrs before starting to leak again due to this issue (and that fact that said wife only drove in town at low speeds). That was after the using the update drive flange and seal due to excessive wear. Big bucks. Dealer only.

I only install the seal using a special sealant. Using just oil is a setup for early leakage or sudden oil loss (in due time).

Always use Amsoil Severe Gear lube- incredible stuff. In the V8's I typically use 75-110. In my personal car 85-140 or 190 race gear oil. Changed frequently (about 1 year). The OE spec fluid is marginal, especially for performance driving . If metal flakes come out, do a short change interval, or a good flush. Then change again at next oil change.

Personal car is getting heat wrap on the cats at the next gear and engine oil change. I've yet to see ANY Audi that wasn't in either poor or dire straights for oil condition. Including newer low mileage models (still in warrany, too)-- again, especially so on the V8's.

So when you dip into that 500lb/ft of torque, just think about that sheared down OE oil that's letting metal eat into metal.

Hope that might help keep these great cars on the road a bit longer.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Thanks Gary for the insight.
    I think/hope that our friends on the forum were just kidding when suggesting letting it leak until everything goes bad.

Just got an update from the svc deparment, and they confirmed the leak on the seal. They will need a few parts to come in on Monday (clamps I think), and should be done same day no problem.

I want to thank all that have provided great detail, and those that shared their opinions as well.
    Great forum/family/group to be part of for sure.
    Given all the info, maybe I'll tackle this myself next time, even before it leaks.