Thread: In dash Nav favorites?

In dash Nav favorites?

Been looking at the OE rns-e, http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SPEC-OEM...-/130838959938

It takes the Zawa kit and some work to get bluetooth involved right? Single CD player?

What are some other folks running for in dash nav with bluetooth and cd changer?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Zawa hooked me up with an RNS-E that should be arriving -TODAY!- Pretty sure he doesn't want me spouting prices and whatnot on public-available forums, PM me if you want the full story. Basically, I'm receiving in the box:

New RNS-E head unit, with A6 Adapter in matte black, anti-glare screen protector, black knobs, fully coded for the RS6
    PIN card for head unit
    Navteq 2011-2012 update DVD (already loaded on the head unit, but I still get the physical discs)
    Adapter harness for Symphony II with Bose
    OEM Audi bluetooth module with harness
    Speed sensor adaptor cable (for higher accuracy on displayed speed/direction)
    Full printed installation instructions
    DVD full of pictures and video tutorials
    Audi radio removal tools

All for much less than Audi wants to charge for the RNS-D head unit, much less adapter harnesses, control module, etc...

Installation including the BT module and setup is probably going to take me 2 hours, and I'm very deliberate and slow with anything to do with the Audi.

As an aside, the unit you're looking at on ebay includes:
    Used RNS-E head unit with A6 Adapter in matte grey, matte screen protector, black knobs not coded for your car
    PIN card for head unit
    Unknown map update - Navteq has not released a 2013 update for RNS-E

Looks like you'd have to find and order your own harness, as well as a bluetooth module (OEM runs ~$350, aftermarket compatibles can be had around $225-250) if you're looking for that function, plus you'll need removal tools for your old radio, and you'll have to find someone to code the RNS-E for your car (I'm sure with your mod list, you've got a VAG-com, and could do it yourself if need be, but that's more effort on your part).

That said, I'm all about saving money where and when I can, but I see a minimal difference in cost equaling a major headache in pulling together my own kit, comparing an ebay purchase to the kit Zawa puts together.

Other_Erik

I'm not trying to put you off the eBay listing, just saying that you get what you pay for.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

RNS-E in both RS6 and allroad. OEM BT module in allroad. lswing, this is the way to go if you want full integration with the DIS display in middle of dash and an OEM fitment look on the head unit. The unit is not a single CD player but rather only DVD map disc reader. It can control CD changer in trunk if you have the OEM one. The one in my allroad is an older gen unit. The one in RS6 is latest gen from Zawa. Pm me if you want to discuss specific differences, price, recommendations, installation, etc.

eric
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

I understand the OEM look, and that DVD can be better during the rare instances when GPS data is not available, but dollar for dollar I think an aftermarket head unit gets you so much more. I have a Kenwood DNX9980 in my car and while it's not a "factory" look, I'm OK with it. My steering wheel controls work, bluetooth, I have Garmin maps (not 2011/2012, but early 2013), can play/watch DVDs, HD radio, 2 ipod connections, and the adjustability for the EQ is incredible. As for the CD changer, the Kenwood will play MP3 or even better, there is an SD card slot, and 4GB of MP3s is more capacity than what 10 CD Changers could provide. I do appreciate an OEM or OEM+ look and the clean integration, but for me, unless it came with the car, I doubt I'd ever go with any non-GPS based navigation system, nor spend the money on one over an aftermarket setup. I don't miss the info in my DIS one bit. This is why these options exist, and why people change out shocks, turbos, and get a car tuned. OEM is good... damn good on the RS6... but time & technology bring options that can improve the beast. This is not intended as a 'bash' in any way at all, just offering up some food for thought for other options. In the end, get what makes you happy.

VAGNav.com, is where I got the RSN-E for the Allroad. It was $1500 or something, comes w/ appropriate wiring harness. Plug and Play, install took no time at all. I have an Alpine IVA-NAV 20, 7" touch screen in the RS6. Bad-ass unit. The RSN-E is great for the AR because the AR has the steering wheel buttons for headunit control. The RS6 doesn't, so that was non-issue. It would be nice for the unit to display the information in the DIS, but I really don't miss it at all.

RS6 sound system:
    Alpine IVA-NAV 20
    Focal seperates in all doors
    JL Audio 10" in trunk
    JL Audio 500w Amp powering everything up
    I-phone cradle hardwired (sits right in front of shifter)
    Alpine back-up camera.

Thanks for the input. I really like that stock fit/look, plus the sound and amp power works for me. Can you send me Zawa's email? Reading you can at least play a cd in the drive if you want. Also wonder if you can use an 8 or 32g card, or limited to 4g?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I just checked and the SD Card slot is only used for either A) updating the internal map information, or B) as a source for newer map info (slower than internal). There is a USB cable where you can plug in a USB drive, thought I'm not sure what capacity it can read. Since 4GB can hold roughly 1,000 songs... that's a large number of tracks and more than I ever fill up in a 'take with' type of device.

Quote Originally Posted by Papadelogan View Post
    I understand the OEM look, and that DVD can be better during the rare instances when GPS data is not available, but dollar for dollar I think an aftermarket head unit gets you so much more. I have a Kenwood DNX9980 in my car and while it's not a "factory" look, I'm OK with it. My steering wheel controls work, bluetooth, I have Garmin maps (not 2011/2012, but early 2013), can play/watch DVDs, HD radio, 2 ipod connections, and the adjustability for the EQ is incredible. As for the CD changer, the Kenwood will play MP3 or even better, there is an SD card slot, and 4GB of MP3s is more capacity than what 10 CD Changers could provide. I do appreciate an OEM or OEM+ look and the clean integration, but for me, unless it came with the car, I doubt I'd ever go with any non-GPS based navigation system, nor spend the money on one over an aftermarket setup. I don't miss the info in my DIS one bit. This is why these options exist, and why people change out shocks, turbos, and get a car tuned. OEM is good... damn good on the RS6... but time & technology bring options that can improve the beast. This is not intended as a 'bash' in any way at all, just offering up some food for thought for other options. In the end, get what makes you happy.
    The benefit of having the OEM RNS-E in the RS6 is this: the Audi Part Number. (The Fidelity Warranty COVERS the RNS-E even if you install it yourself as it has an OEM Audi part number)
    Also it looks original and there isn't that displaced look of "new" technology with a 2003 flagship vehicle.

Mark basically installed mine in a very short time. The most challenging thing was removing the OnStar module and using the Sat connection to plug into the RNS-E versus using the GPS magnetic hockey puck.
    I would still choose the RNS-E with the Fiscon B/T module over a newer whiz-bang aftermarket head unit.
    It is kinda like putting RS6 parts/badging on an A6 = doesn't work...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

On the 2010 and newer RNS-E's you can go up to 64GB I believe. The older unit's only could go to 4GB and it had to be a non-SDHC SD card which in anything larger than 2GB are hard to find. But with 2x2GB cards you can still get a lot of songs on there. I had the old system and upgraded to the newer system. Benefits are a better display (can hardly tell the difference unless there side by side), capability to use the larger (much larger) capacity SD cards, supposedly faster processor (really doesn't seem to be), and TMC (traffic info, which if your in the city for crowded area may be important to you.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks for the extra info Marc, good to hear from you. Looking forward to a new unit, I'll probably go the Zawa route. I've about had it with skipping discs, plus the changer is starting to grab one on occasion.

+1 lswing
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Latest gen RNS-E's max is 32GB cards. There is no USB port and you cannot update the map data or the internal software using the SD slots (only using DVD). You can put the RNS-E in screen shot mode and write screen shots to slot 1 SD card however.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    The benefit of having the OEM RNS-E in the RS6 is this: the Audi Part Number. (The Fidelity Warranty COVERS the RNS-E even if you install it yourself as it has an OEM Audi part number)
    Also it looks original and there isn't that displaced look of "new" technology with a 2003 flagship vehicle.

Mark basically installed mine in a very short time. The most challenging thing was removing the OnStar module and using the Sat connection to plug into the RNS-E versus using the GPS magnetic hockey puck.
    I would still choose the RNS-E with the Fiscon B/T module over a newer whiz-bang aftermarket head unit.
    It is kinda like putting RS6 parts/badging on an A6 = doesn't work...
    I agree it won't have the fit/finish/integrated look of OEM parts.... but that's a personal preference that some, like myself, are OK with due to the value of what is to me, improved functionality. I'd bet that when you need new tires, you're not putting the exact OEM tires on that the car came with in 2003; you take advantage of the technological advancements and get better tires. I'd also like to see someone install a steering wheel from a newer Audi with stereo controls and integrate them. To each their own, they are gorgeous mechanical beasts, no matter what is in the dash.

Check out THIS THREAD to see what some of the newest tech can get you (installed in an A4 but could fitted to the RS6). It's not as 'clean' as OEM but (for me) the functionality outweighs the cosmetics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpine_nav.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14190

Alpine 7" touch screen.

Sweet work, so custom fab backplate? That's been my concern. Nice charger/dock too...

Got some details on the work done?