Thread: Need help ...recommendations drc system.

Need help ...recommendations drc system.

2003 rs6 with 94 k miles. In the process of replace the front control arms and springs and shocks. I brought the shruts springs front and back off a parted out rs6 30k miles but the shruts and shocks had 2k before the accident . Can any one tell me the proper installation procedure for the shruts/ shocks for this car? How can I reset the drc system after installation ? Thanks guys .neeed help.....need to get this right

Just some Koni Sport struts, $750, problems solved. Even if you do recharge the DRC, with the specialized equipment, it will fail again...

Location?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Personally, I recommend throwing all your drc parts in the scrap bin and installing some coil-overs. But this is just my opinion.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

New York. So after the installation , it a must to bring it the dealer for recharge . What is done with the recharge price???

You can update your location under your name, makes it easy.

Well, first the dealer charges you $$, then you hope it's done right, then you go back every 4-6 months to get it fixed. They pressurize the system, fill with oil. It's not bad in all situations, but frequently it's not recharged correctly and the car sits high, 4x4 style.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Personally, I recommend throwing all your drc parts in the scrap bin and installing some coil-overs. But this is just my opinion.
    +1 and some
    210K miles rolled

Opinions abound about the DRC and you will largely see nothing but negative about it. I happen to be the exception though as I have two beasts and neither had a DRC failure prior to electing to have Audi swap each out with the Gen2 version (1 car 125K and the other 220K when replacement work performed on a 100% OEM install)..... I personally prefer the DRC to Koni, KW3, or PS9's. Those that quickly dismiss the performance aspects of the DRC are jaded against the technology - and for good reason - due to personally experiencing hassle and frustration with failure. I hesitate to guess that those that have not had failure aren't so quick to dismiss it's use.

As for putting a replacement DRC in your ride, ensure it's the 2nd gen system as numerous people have had failures (well documented). I'm not aware of others with a 2nd gen system that continue to have woes. Really comes down to quality of install IMO. There is a documented procedure that a I've seen owners in Europe/UK use in lieu of hiring the services of an Audi stealership. For most of us however, the only option is to have the system recharged by a stealership. You can swap all teh items yourself and drive it to the dealer and have them perform a system recharge. Should cost you the price of fluid plus 2 hours shop time.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Here's a link to lots of Audi documents. The one I was referring to is the first on the list.

http://www.readbreed.com/lib-a/audi-c5
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

When I first got my RS6 it didn't take long for the DRC to fail on me. Your best bet in the long run to save you time, money and hassle..... Take it out and replace them with Konis. Best investment I ever made for the car. But if you decide to go the RC route you will have to go to the dealership to have them recharge them. Hope they do it right though....... Good luck bud

I had the recalled version of the DRC recharged at the dealership for $550.
    The audible paranoia was evaporated as noises were no longer there.
    Quickly replaced with 4x4 raked look at 4+ fingers between tire/fender but it did settle to 3 fingers.
    Quickly realized another limitation were the 'Kooks (I got what I paid for...)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Quickly replaced with 4x4 raked look at 4+ fingers between tire/fender but it did settle to 3 fingers.
    Quickly realized another limitation were the 'Kooks (I got what I paid for...)
    Experience definately reigns here. Even Audi trained tech's that are supposedly 'authorized' to conduct repairs on an RS6 fail miserably at the DRC. My ride on 2nd gen DRC and OEM springs rides fine and sits at perfect height (for e anyway) @ two fingers on the rear and just under that for the front. Certainly not jacked up like you can see occur when someone doesn't know how to preload the suspension components prior to torque down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRC ride height.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	14115

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Experience definately reigns here. Even Audi trained tech's that are supposedly 'authorized' to conduct repairs on an RS6 fail miserably at the DRC. My ride on 2nd gen DRC and OEM springs rides fine and sits at perfect height (for e anyway) @ two fingers on the rear and just under that for the front. Certainly not jacked up like you can see occur when someone doesn't know how to preload the suspension components prior to torque down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRC ride height.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	14115
    Mine was warranteed in 09 and is identical to yours in looks and performance. Maybe I was just lucky too.
    2013 Audi S8