Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note about registering to the RS6.com forum (new members)

Post Note about registering to the RS6.com forum (new members)

This is a message for any new member trying to register.

Each new member is moderated to avoid spammers to register.

Regardless what methods I've tried using, I'm still getting a massive amount of spammers (spam bots) registering.

If I wait for a day or two before I moderate new users I'm having 100+ members, and 99% of them are "fake" accounts.

It is really difficult to identify real persons amongst a long list of generic emails and IP addresses.

So I have been forced to ban new members with e-mail addresses containing @hotmail.com @Yahoo.com.
    Yes...all the @mail.ru and onlinemoneymaking.org are banned too

You can still register using, for instance: "name @ no-spamming-Company . com" etc.

There is still a small chance I don't discover you as a 'real' person. Please excuse me in advance.

I really, really hate this, but at the moment I see no other way.

/ Erik @RS6.com

PS RS6.com will never sell our email database to anyone else, and we do not mass email. It's a forum. Period.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I ran in to a little trouble joining this forum but I must say that Erik was EXTREMELY helpful in sorting it out and well, here I am. I just wanted to thank you again Erik, but do it publicly so that others know that they will get sorted out. Thanks again!

Just Another day in a webmasters life... another 140 "members" deleted this morning.

I f*cking hate spam bots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spammers.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	14236

Thanks for getting me through, Erik. I'm a real boy I promise! Very happy to get my learn on when it comes to the RS 6

Thanks for all the work Erik, I deal with plenty of that myself.

I would support a yearly fundraiser like you had a while back. Thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks, appreciate it.

LOL didn't look at "new members" over the weekend and had 3 real new peopl and about 600 spammers registering.

Unless people use a pretty clear user name and email it's not easy to spot.

I try to use this on the most common spammers now, feels a bit better fighting back.

http://www.scammerspammer.com/status.php

I admit, I was a bit perturbed when my first attempt was denied. But I didn't see this sticky and I certainly understand your predicament. Thank you for letting me in on this second try though. This board has been a big help in my decision to pull the trigger on my first RS6 and I'd love to contribute back.

how do i post or start a new thread or post on here? im new and i dont know how

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinrs6 View Post
    how do i post or start a new thread or post on here? im new and i dont know how
    Button is on the top left of the main page that has a listing of all the threads.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Button is on the top left of the main page that has a listing of all the threads.
    still couldnt find it

Once you log in to the forum, you will have a list of the options on this site. Choose RS6 / S6 / RS7 / S7 / S8, which is where you have been viewing and posting reply's. Upper left is a button that says Post New Thread. Try a different browser or computer if you are on a mobile device.

got it thanks.

I set "New User Registrations" to NO. This means that it is currently not possible to register new users.

There are just too many spammers around at the moment, and I will be out of office for a few days.

If you want to register I plan to open this option at a later stage, you can send me an email and I can open the function.

Perhaps time to upgrade the forum software to get the latest anti-spam functions.

Thanks for the add Erik
    '03 RS6 Daytona Gray #905621 / '04 A6 4.2 Daytona Gray / '06 Honda Odyssey - Instagram - @amcocr

Sorry to all members who have tried (and failed( registering.

I have now changed some settings. Hope it works.

We still get a huge amount of spam bots that try to become members, and it's really difficult (and time consuming) to recognize a human in all this mess.

PLEASE chose a name and please use an email which stands out as a real one, it will make my life a lot easier. Thanks!

Added a few new members today.

Sorry it's taking so long time, but when I open the forum for registrations I get hundreds (over 800 today) spam "members" registering.

So it's difficult to see a spam bot vs a real person, and I'm sure I miss a few. Sorry in advance!

And if you email me, please give me a reference as to which email or forum name you used.

Example: "Hi, I registered but under another email" - isn't going to help me, and in the end not yourself. I get many of those.

Cheers!