Thread: VW Golf GTI "Design Vision GTI" concept - VR6 is back!

VW Golf GTI "Design Vision GTI" concept - VR6 is back!

It apears that this concept car has a new 3.0l VR6 biturbo engine in it!

This makes me even more interested in future of 2.5 R5 T with in VAG...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...ision-gti.html

From what I read the TT 3.0 VR6 is not guaranteed yet as VW doesn't have much use for it. A high performance CC R or Touareg is perhaps the only VW that needs 300 + hp from a VR6. Actually the Touareg (next generation) could go with an Audi or a Porsche V6. Perhaps the new US crossover could use down the line but that vehicle is not 100% approved yet either and the current VR6 would be sufficient. But using this engine in two back to back concepts is interesting.

The 2.5T will remain in the TT RS and RS3 I would imagine but not go anywhere else as apparently Audi won't let VW use it for say a high performance Golf/Jetta or Passat.

Just saw this on Jalopnik. Looks fantastic!!
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    The 2.5T will remain in the TT RS and RS3 I would imagine but not go anywhere else as apparently Audi won't let VW use it for say a high performance Golf/Jetta or Passat.
    Not sure about that part... I thimk that Audi isn't in position to make such big desicions like "giving" orn "not giving" something witin VAG AG...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Not sure about that part... I thimk that Audi isn't in position to make such big desicions like "giving" orn "not giving" something witin VAG AG...
    The 2.5T is an RS/Audi engine and I haven't seen any other RS engines in a VW before. Audi has had its 2.0T with Valvelift for quite some years already but the GTI is just getting it now.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    ... but the GTI is just getting it now.
    But, its getting it! That is the key sentense!

You scertanly have wright about some time delay, but that is one big company and everything within is shared!

The basic engines up to 2 liters are shared as VW takes lead in their development but above is "Audi" engines. With the power generated by 2 liter turbo nowadays VW almost has no need for anything bigger for 90% of its line up (especially in Europe) which is a bit sad.

The more I read about the GTI concept the more it seems like the engine development is not signed off yeat. Only an MQB based crossover/SUV can turn this engine into production but that is where it first showed up.