Thread: 01E Compatibility

01E Compatibility

Can anyone tell me if a 2004 B6 S4 will work as a donor car for the 01E swap in the RS6 (C5)?

thanks,
    Matt
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

You probably have a line on one of these cheap. but if you are going to go out of the norm..get a TDI box...
    2013 Audi S8

Yeah, its local to me. It has only 60k on it too. I was planning on doing a rebuild with the diesel 6th gear and new syncros.

Do we know if the axles (fronts and rear) are a direct swap?

Nice..so you'll have it covered anyway..wish I could have done it..

Not too familiar with the newer Audis...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    Can anyone tell me if a 2004 B6 S4 will work as a donor car for the 01E swap in the RS6 (C5)?

thanks,
    Matt
    I think that the transmission might be the only thing that is similar in dimension to the 01E.

I can't say for sure, but the pedal assembly, axles, prop shaft and shifter and linkages might have the wrong geometry to fit in the C5. I'm also unaware if the final drives of the front and rear diffs are compatible which might require a ring & pinion swap.

I can't see buying a whole donor car for the swap unless you have the time and room to part it out. I can get the parts minus the transmission local (when in stock) for $600.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yeah..much easier to find a 01-04 A6 2.7t at a junk yard to rape.
    2013 Audi S8

Yeah, the more I've been researching since posting, I have come across a lot of the same issues you just brought up.

The search continues!

Steve - will you be at Carlise next month?

There are junk yards that sell "kits". If you can find your own transmission, Steve's option/offer is best. If you want a TDI box, Marc at EFI Express usually has some.
    2013 Audi S8

I'm not sure the newer b6 tranny's will work. I thought i had run into someone that said the speedo pickups are different between the years and there was no way to get it to work (that they could figure out)...something about the newer tranny's passing the speed info to the computer differently then the old ones and they couldn't get them to talk to one another.

i'm a big fan of "there's a first time for everything" though i say have at it, after you do the proper research of course.