Thread: Issues with fuel gauge dial

Mech Issues with fuel gauge dial

I have to admit I have >>>NOT<<< noticed this yet on the RS6, but wanted to see if someone has.

My nephew was driving the car recently, and when he filled up the tank, the fuel gauge dial remained at 3/4 tank.
    He went to the next gas station, tried to fill up again, and it took $2 worth of gas, which in the US is a shot of whiskey's worth (aka nothing).
    The gauge went up by a little bit, but not showing full tank.

He drove it around a bit, and once he got home, it finally had reached the magnetic north point as expected.
    The car was not cold when he filled it up fully, since it was towards the end of a good 60+ mile run.

Anyone experienced this with their RS6, and if so, what was the problem and fix?
    Anything I can do myself, or take to dealer?

Keep in mind I did the Sportec cooler setup with my nephew, so we are somewhat capable of DIY jobs.

Thanks.

as i am aware, many RS6 owners have reported issues with the fuel gauge, i have the same problem, when it drops below 1/2 tank, or sometimes even 2/3, it keeps fluctuating so i can't rely on its readings...looks like the problem can be solved by replacing the fuel sender but the tank has to come off and i don't wanna go through all that hassle for such a minor issue, i just keep full all the time , i rarely leave it drop below 1/2...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Mine is faulty aswell. It shows alot less than it actually is, so I guess it's okay. But still quite annoying.
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

Typical behaviour of mine: fill up, it goes to full usually, rarely hangs right below full for awhile then makes it the rest of the way. City driving, it takes 20-30 miles before it even moves. Highway driving, I can go 60-70 miles before the gauge moves. Then it'll hang again when it gets just below 3/4 tank for awhile. Finally it'll uncatch and get to 1/2 tank pretty quickly. The rest of the way to 1/2 it acts normally, if I let it get past a half, usually only when highway cruising to the next station.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    My nephew was driving the car recently, and when he filled up the tank, the fuel gauge dial remained at 3/4 tank.
    My fuel gauge does this- gauge reads 3/4 full- from time to time after a fill up. I just ignore it when I know I just filled it. After a short while (usually within 20 miles), the gauge will begin reading normally. Otherwise, the gauge works well for me.
    210K miles rolled

Is it a possibility to install a sender from the C6 or C7 to resolve this issue and prevent it from happening again? Or does that mean changing the tank (which most likely doesn't fit)?
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. I usually keep the tank above half full, so not so worried.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    My fuel gauge does this- gauge reads 3/4 full- from time to time after a fill up. I just ignore it when I know I just filled it. After a short while (usually within 20 miles), the gauge will begin reading normally. Otherwise, the gauge works well for me.
    This has been exactly my experience a handful of times. I always make it a point to know how much gas goes in.

I'm more impressed with the nephew! Making sure he brings it back filed up, he knows it's a privilege!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

I had this issue as well. It started after my gas tank replacement. Audi looked at it and said my Fuel senders were dirty and needed to be cleaned. They cleaned them but it still is not super accurate.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6