Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE...RS6, Ace Torque Converter, no waiting...already boxed up and ready to go!

I asked about a warranty thinking that it was new being that it was discounted $25 from the new price. Instead of a simple straightforward answer, it was coupled with a wiseass remark and comments about needing to change his add. If someone is going to act like a tool with their comments they should expect the same in return. I didn't ask for his explanation of why it didn't have a warranty, or where I should buy it if I needed one....I asked if it had a warranty.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Well that explains it. I seriously doubt you will find anyone else on this forum that will find ANYTHING I said on page one a "smartass comment", but I was wrong once before. (OK,THAT was a smartass comment)

For the record, I NEVER expected anyone to assume that I was selling a NEW Ace TC, as MOST here know that I had one and I am now doing a manual swap (it's in my sig). BUT, since you asked about it, I thought it would be a good idea to repost that tidbit in my original post, JUST IN CASE ANYONE ELSE ASKED.
    If you took anything I said as a smartass comment..SORRY. But for the record, If you didn't want it, or didn't want to make an offer, all you had to do was never repost in my thread. Sorry for the confusion and have a Happy New Year.
    2013 Audi S8

2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

MIke, working today.... nose to the grindstone....
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Gentlemen, this is rs6.com, not Audizine. Just saying.

Now that's funny stuff!

Keep Smiling, Jim

(Non-mechanical guy thinking out loud here - I fix teeth for a living)

I just turned over 122k miles, but no tranny issues to date. It's the TC that fails and leads to the demise of the trans correct? Does it make any sense to replace the torque converter to prevent future tranny failure? And are these ACE converters an "upgrade" of some sort to the OEM model?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    (Non-mechanical guy thinking out loud here - I fix teeth for a living)

I just turned over 122k miles, but no tranny issues to date. It's the TC that fails and leads to the demise of the trans correct? Does it make any sense to replace the torque converter to prevent future tranny failure? And are these ACE converters an "upgrade" of some sort to the OEM model?

Jim
    Yes to all of your comments...except the last one. It's not necessarliy an "upgrade" to the OEM, as it is a cheaper reliable replacement. It would be an upgrade if you changed the charactaristics of it, such as stall speed, how it locks, etc...
    If your trans is already bad, a new TC will not help..and may exacerbate the problem. If your trans is good, it could prolong the inevitable (if you continue to mod). Mine lasted a year and a half longer...
    2013 Audi S8

Interesting discussion. According to ACE, some of these cores are not rebuildable. So how do you find a TC then? It cross references to what? Nothing from what I can tell.

Very good question. He never mentioned to me the possiblity of not having a rebuildable core, but way back when, when I first spoke to Andre about a core, I remember him saying "Good Luck". He said he very rarely comes across a core. Very nice guy and knowlegable too. He told me to find my own core and send it in to him, otherwise, I could be waiting months for one from him.
    So I did my research here and found out everyone buys a core for $200, has it sent to Ace, when you get it back, install it and sells yours for $200 to get your core money back. All this really does is save you the downtime shipping to and from Ace and Andre's time, which only matters if your car is taking up someones lift. I am glad I did it as think I got an extra year out of my transmission, which stalled for me to get ready for my manual swap.
    2013 Audi S8

Andre talked with me about some cores not being rebuildable, or taking more time or cost if they were in bad shape. I'm guessing some of the seals get trashed when a TC gets goes bad?

Yep, 200 for core, 50 shipping to me, 50 shipping to Andre, 50 shipping back to me. Just buy ttboost's, it's got 4k but should go 100k....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Andre talked with me about some cores not being rebuildable, or taking more time or cost if they were in bad shape. I'm guessing some of the seals get trashed when a TC gets goes bad?

Yep, 200 for core, 50 shipping to me, 50 shipping to Andre, 50 shipping back to me. Just buy ttboost's, it's got 4k but should go 100k....

Sounds like you have it all figured out.
    Last edited by na1mt; January 4th, 2013 at 08:49.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Just interested in the details of the tc build/failure...bump if the tc is still for sale!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Continuing my questions of ignorance:

I'm not interested in a manual swap, so once the tc & tranny go bad, what are the options? Meaning are the new tc/tranny going to be prone to the same fate? Or are there improvements to prevent a similar demise?

There are companies out there that can rebuild the transmission to hold whatever power you need. You will pay though. Most people do the manual swap as it is a cheaper route, albeit a pain in the a$$. I just delivered my original transmission to 517 Transmission in New Jersey as a favor for the buyer. My guess is it will be $5k-$7k to do it right. They have pricing on their website.
    2013 Audi S8

Don't want to TJ but, since I've never seen one with a manual swap for sale, what's it worth? Less? More? Same? I know guys do it for their own personal preference, kinda like my house is pink.....but what's the $$

SteveKen sold his. I would think he got more than he would have if it was an auto? I think if you buy a manual RS6, you are buying a car that will likely NEVER have a transmission or TC problem. Priceless? I'm doing mine because I know I can do it cheaper than rebuilding my auto, no other reason.
    2013 Audi S8

It's a personal preference for the manual swap. Mine will never be because the wife can't drive it to the grocery store and smoke the 911 next to her. I won't because well, I suck at driving a stick....IMHO this is a gentleman's car. Some car's faster, some cars better, but not a better car for me at this point in my life.

Yeah.. I may not keep mine..I kinda miss my 996 Turbo...but we'll see...
    2013 Audi S8