Thread: Amazing - even the new A8 (not just the S8) is quicker and faster than the C5 RS6...

Amazing - even the new A8 (not just the S8) is quicker and faster than the C5 RS6...

Yes, I know that it's 8-9 years later, but to me it's stunning that Audi's executive class luxury sedan runs a 12.5 second 1/4 mile:

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a8/2013/...est-specs.html

It runs even with my tuned B8 S4, at least in a straight line, and gets pretty decent gas mileage for such a large car.

We're truly living in the best "golden age" of the automobile so far....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_audi_a8_sedan_30t-quattro_rq_oem_1_500.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	13358  

Especially with a Weight as tested of 4693lbs. Similiar TQ to a RS6, but less power. Shows how much better there tranny is for one thing.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Especially with a Weight as tested of 4693lbs. Similiar TQ to a RS6, but less power. Shows how much better there tranny is for one thing.
    Agreed. These numbers are almost against physics but I think the new transmission could be the answer. How much quicker are the ones that have the manual conversions I wonder...
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'd bet that it's a combination of the 8 speed transmission PLUS Audi seriously under-rating the engine's true output. If the S8's results are any indicator, then this A8's version of the 4.0T is probably putting out close to 500 hp.

The S8, while rated at 520 hp, actually put down 580 hp in a recent Motor Trend Comparison test.

Way better transmission + underrated output numbers would be my guess. It's probably more like 420 Hp at the wheels.

edit: beaten by ZCD2.7T

My 2013 S6 with the 4.0T motor put down 369 on a mustang dyno and 391 dynojet dyno, stock. Not sure what the drivetrain loss % is but I'm sure the crank is above 420.

I believe launch control is the answer to the low 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which goes back to the tranny. my next car will be an used 2013 s6, can't wait to see what it would do with an apr chip.

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    I believe launch control is the answer to the low 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which goes back to the tranny. my next car will be an used 2013 s6, can't wait to see what it would do with an apr chip.
    a lot of this is due in part to a steep 1st gear and an ass ton of low-end torque. The faster gear shifting contributes a bit, and then these 4.0T's are obviously way under-ratted. If you look @ the edmunds review, they actually achieved ~ 1/2 second slower results with the traction control turned on.

regardless..edmunds is basicly saying this A8 is as fast as a CTS-V or F10 M5 in a straight line. Nevermind a decade old super-sedan.

Yeah and with a $100k price tag
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

If money grew on trees, none of us would be here.

I thought the saying went "If money grew on trees, it would be worthless."
    But as Dave would say, " That's what the damn Fed is doing. In a few years, our dollar will be worthless!"
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yep!! and I still wouldn't be able to afford a new A8....my paycheck would double, the price of a new A8 will double.....Potatoe, Potato....

Oh even better.

FED prints trillions. Hands trillions to the banks in return for all the mortgages. We pay our mortgage to??? The FED? Well, how in the hell did they get the paper? Why they printed paper to get the mortage paper. Oh right. And who owns the FED? A private group of bankers.

Then inflation hits us like a brick and water is 2 dollars a gallon.

I'am not complaining. This is the way it is and I have 2 RS6s out in the garage and a big smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I thought the saying went "If money grew on trees, it would be worthless."
    But as Dave would say, " That's what the damn Fed is doing. In a few years, our dollar will be worthless!"

2 RS's??!! Damn, I need a 3rd to keep up And a little inflation would be nice, just to get someone to buy something today that they think will be more expensive tomorrow instead of cheaper, like real estate.

I've been driving my new A8L with 4.0 for a few months. It's impressively fast and quick.

I was concerned I may miss the RS too much and end up leaving the A8 in the garage....

I'm curious to see what the aftermarket coders will have to offer for the 4.0 T.

The S6 is ham stringed by the transmission as the DSG 7 speed is limited to 450 foot pounds of torque (um, limited by it's transmission, sounds familiar) while the A8L shares the same transmission as the S8 (like to know what differences there really are before tuning).

Mike

Mike,

Put a proper flash on your RS6 ecu/tcu and watch the A8L in the rear view mirror.

Doh

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I've been driving my new A8L with 4.0 for a few months. It's impressively fast and quick.

I was concerned I may miss the RS too much and end up leaving the A8 in the garage....

I'm curious to see what the aftermarket coders will have to offer for the 4.0 T.

The S6 is ham stringed by the transmission as the DSG 7 speed is limited to 450 foot pounds of torque (um, limited by it's transmission, sounds familiar) while the A8L shares the same transmission as the S8 (like to know what differences there really are before tuning).

Mike