Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Guide on How to Take and Graph Logs ****

**** Guide on How to Take and Graph Logs ****

Since this took me a lot of hours to cobble together myself, and a good few days to get everything working together, I figure I'd put up a step-by-step 'How To' thread to help shorten that learning curve to like 30 mins for people. Shout out to Tony@NefMoto for creating the forum, Setzi for creating the powerful logging utility, j2mc for creating the logger GUI, and for Nyet for developing (and maintaining with upgrades) the ECUxPlot. Extra props to them for not only developing them, but for releasing them for the public to use.

This is just a "quick start" guide to start logging your car. To learn how to interpret the logs and tune your car, it's going to require a lot more substantial of an effort and research. For that, I suggest the forums over at www.nefmoto.com.

COMPLETE GUIDE ON HOW TO TAKE LOGS:

0. Buy the blue "409.1 FT232RL OBD2" cable from this seller:
    http://stores.ebay.com/alpha-bid

0.5 Go to www.nefmoto.com and register for the forums (you need to be registered to download the attachments).

1. Download the driver for that cable from the first post here (it's FTDI D2XX), and install it:
    http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...c=2200.0title=

2. Go to this thread and download/unzip the latest version of Setzi's ME7logger (as of this post, it's V1.17, it's attached to the first post in that thread):
    http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...hp?topic=837.0

3. Go to this thread and download the GUI attached to the first post. Place the GUI in the ME7logger folder. Make a shortcut for the GUI on your desktop:
    http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...c=1079.0title=

4. Go to one of the following links to download your ECU's .bin file. Place the .bin file in the ME7logger folder.
    --Audi RS6 4.2TT BCY 0261207857 4D1907558 366304
    --Audi RS6 4.2TT BCY 450HP 4D1907558 0261207857 367724
    --RS6 4D1907558 0004 0261207857 367724 (not sure if this is the same as the first one or not)
    --Audi RS6 4.2TT BCY 450HP 4D1907558B 0261208051 1037368087
    --Audi RS6 Plus 4.2TT BRV 480HP 4D1907558F 0261208728 1037370934

-Optional method of getting the .bin for your ECU- Use 'NefMoto ECU Flasher' to read your own .bin off of your ECU. Go to this forum, and the latest version of his flasher should be one of the first few sticky posts at the top:
    http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...c=2200.0title=

5. Click on the GUI shortcut on your desktop. Click the "Create ECU File" button, and select the .bin file from step 4.

6. Still in the GUI program, click the "Create Template File" button and navigate to the .bin file from step 4 again.

7. In Windows (not in the GUI) navigate to the "logs" folder inside of the ME7logger folder and locate the .cfg file that was created in step 6 (it'll be the same name as your .bin file from step 4). Open the .cfg file in notepad and erase the ";" in front of the variables you want to log (see end of this post for the common variables in the regular "Mark P" excel graph templates that you see posted here). You can also change the "SamplesPerSecond" up at the top of that file as well. I'd probably put it at 20 samples/sec and leave it alone if it isn't giving you any connection issues when logging.

8. You're now ready to log. With the car running and the cable plugged into the car's OBDII port and connected to the laptop, open the GUI again, highlight your .cfg file in the window, select the COM port that your cable is plugged into, and click the "Start ME7Logger button". You'll see !! and . as it's logging. Press ctrl-c to stop logging. The log file is now automatically saved in the "logs" folder inside of the ME7logger folder.

9. Any issues, consult the README file in the doc folder (which is inside the ME7logger folder, open it with wordpad), consult the ME7Logger thread in step 2, and finally consult the GUI thread in step 3. After exhausting the previous resources, post a new thread in the logging section on Nefmoto if need be.

------

Heads up that I wrote this guide for the B5 S4, but the variables for the RS6 should be pretty much the same, just there's two MAF's and the cylinder numbers keep going up to 8 of course

Common variables to log that you see in excel graphs (so to log these, just delete the semi-colon in front of them inside of your .cfg file):

nmot_w ;{EngineSpeed} ; {Motordrehzahl}
    pus_w ;{BaroPressure} ; {Umgebungsdruck ohne Umschaltung auf Ersatzwert bei Sensorfehler}
    plsol_w ;{BoostPressureDesired} ; {Soll-Ladedruck}
    pvdkds_w ;{BoostPressureActual} ; {Druck vor Drosselklappe von Drucksensor (word)}
    ldtvm ;{WastegateDutyCycle} ; {LDR Tastverhältnis , moduliert (Endergebnis)}
    mshfm_w ;{MassAirFlow} ; {Massenstrom HFM 16-Bit Größe}
    tans ;{IntakeAirTemperature} ; {Ansaugluft - Temperatur}
    wped_w ;{AccelPedalPosition} ; {normierter Fahrpedalwinkel}
    wdkba ;{ThrottlePlateAngle} ; {Drosselklappenwinkel bezogen auf unteren Anschlag}

dwkrz_0 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl1}
    dwkrz_3 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl2}
    dwkrz_2 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl3}
    dwkrz_5 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl4}
    dwkrz_1 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl5}
    dwkrz_4 ;{IgnitionRetardCyl6}
    zwout ;{IgnitionTimingAngleOverall} ; {Zündwinkel-Ausgabe}

rkrn_w_0 ;{KnockVoltageCyl1}
    rkrn_w_3 ;{KnockVoltageCyl2}
    rkrn_w_2 ;{KnockVoltageCyl3}
    rkrn_w_5 ;{KnockVoltageCyl4}
    rkrn_w_1 ;{KnockVoltageCyl5}
    rkrn_w_4 ;{KnockVoltageCyl6}

vfil_w ;{VehicleSpeed} ; {gefilterte Geschwindigkeit (16-Bit)}
    gangi ;{SelectedGear} ; {Ist-Gang vom CAN bei AT oder aus n/v bei HS}

lamsbg_w ;{AirFuelRatioDesired} ; {Lambdasoll Begrenzung (word)}
    fr_w ;{LambdaControl}
    ti_b1 ;{FuelInjectorOnTime} ; {Einspritzzeit für EV's auf Bank1}
    tats_w ;{EGTSensor}
    tats2_w ;{EGTSensorBank2}
    tabgm ;{EGTModelBeforeCat}
    tabgm2 ;{EGTModelBeforeCatBank2}

usvk ;{O2SVoltageSensor1}
    usvk2 ;{O2SVoltageSensor1Bank2}

rl_w ;{EngineLoad} ; {relative Luftfüllung}
    rlmx_w ;{EngineLoadSpecified}
    rlmax_w ;{EngineLoadCorrected}
    rlsol_w ;{EngineLoadRequested}

-------

Long Term Fuel Trim Partial (note, the fra's are in a scalar form (so you need to subtract 1 and multiply by 100 if you want a percent, for example an fra_w value of 1.02050 is 2.050%)):

fra2_w ;{AdaptationPartialBank2} ; {multiplikative Gemischkorrektur der Gemischadaption (Word) Bank 2}
    fra_w ;{AdaptationPartial} ; {multiplikative Gemischkorrektur der Gemischadaption (Word)}

Long Term Fuel Trim Idle ('per time', which just means that these variables aren't necessarily the real final 'idle fuel trim' percentage that the ECU is multiplying the final fueling by, rather these just give you an idea of which side the idle fuel trims are on (+ means that the ECU is adding fuel because it's too lean, - means the ECU is pulling fuel because it's too rich), so these just you just show you which direction to adjust the fueling, not necessarily the magnitude to adjust it. The real variables for the final value of the idle LTFT's (rka_w/rka2_w) aren't defined automatically in the .ecu file created by the ME7Logger program. Also note that these values are in percentages, so a value of 1.0500 is 1.0500%):

rkat2_w ;{AdaptationIdleBank2} ; {additive Gemischkorrektur (pro Zeit) der Gemischadaption Bank 2 (Word)}
    rkat_w ;{AdaptationIdle} ; {additive Gemischkorrektur (pro Zeit) der Gemischdaption (Word)}

Short Term Fuel Trims:

frm2_w ;{LambdaControlAvgBank2} ; {schneller Mittelwert des Lambdaregelfaktors (Word) Bank 2}
    frm_w ;{LambdaControlAvg} ; {schneller Mittelwert des Lambdaregelfaktors (Word)}
    Last edited by jibberjive; December 20th, 2012 at 20:13.

HOW TO VIEW THE LOGS:

1. Go here to download Nyet's ECUxPlot (which also works with ME7Logger). Right click and install as administrator.:
    http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...=1714.0title=/

2. Take an hour to play around with ECUxPlot to see what it consists of. Read the FAQ here http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...16497#msg16497 . There's no help file, but it really is pretty self explanatory if you spend a second looking at all of the options. It has a filter that you can turn on-off, that filters out 3rd gear FATS pulls so that you can get graphs containing the data that you're used to seeing on the forums. You really don't need to play with any of the options if you don't want to.

3. You'll want to add your own graphs and save them as presets so that you can easily load them in the future (see logs below for the graphs that I've added to get the same MarkP info, you might want to add a couple of more, or different ones). After you have all of your common graph presets saved that you want, from then on when you open a log file, you can go to "load all presets" under the options bar, and it'll automatically pop up all of your graphs. If you want to save them as picture files to post online or review later, with all of the graphs open go to "export all charts" under the file bar.

4. Tweak your tune and go faster[]

----ECUxPlot tips & tricks: When you load it, it will load the graph to the size that it was when you last closed it. In addition, the graph size that it first loads is the size that the 'load all presets' command makes all of the other graphs. So if you want all of your graphs a certain size, open ECUxPlot, resize the graph to the size you want, close it, re-open ECUxPlot and load your file. Also, leave the "show FATS window" unchecked until after you've done the "load all presets," or else you'll have a FATS window for every graph. When you save the graphs, the legend is smaller in the saved image than it is on the graph on your screen. Pay careful attention to the axes, as they are filled automatically (so, for example, a 2 degree difference could be shaped like a 20 degree difference IAT curve).

------

Graph preset examples (nevermind the actual values in the logs, REALLY, don't compare your logs to these as any type of standard, these are just some random logs to illustrate the ECUxPlot graph presets that you might want to make):

Cool man, thanks alot for putting this information up for everyone.

Or you could just buy the the VagCom and hook it up to your laptop. Then use all the other cool features of the VagCom.

Oh god....overload.....Ross-Tech, and I think they make the pretty graphs too....can you really judge HP accurately with a computer anyhow?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    can you really judge HP accurately with a computer anyhow?
    No. Well, yes, but all of the specific variables of the car have to be right for it to be usably accurate, so I'd say the "HP estimate" for the ME7Logger is more of a novelty than anything. Though that's definitely not where the power of the ME7L lies.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroRS View Post
    Or you could just buy the the VagCom and hook it up to your laptop. Then use all the other cool features of the VagCom.
    I fully support and love Ross-Tech and VAG-COM, but this ME7Logger is a whole different beast. I use ME7Logger in parallel with vag-com, as I'll use vag-com to check/clear codes, change settings and log blocks where transient stuff doesn't really matter (like long term fuel trims and idle O2 voltage), and I use ME7L for when I want to do any real logging. I don't know how the performance of the vag-com on the ME7.1.1 ECU of the RS6 is, but on B5 S4's, the logging resolution of vag-com is terrible, and you could only log a handful of variables at a time. APR came out with the logging utility ECUx in early-mid 2000's, and that was a godsend for people because they could get some real resolution in their logs, and they can log more than 5 or 6 variables at a time. Then the developer that came up with ECUx parted ways with APR a while back, so for the past like 5 or so years ECUx has been in a weird limbo state where APR doesn't 'support' it and doesn't try to sell it (they wouldn't sell it to me when I called them on the phone to try to buy it a few years back). But you can still buy ECUx at certain places, like ECS. Kinda weird.

Anywho, since then, a user on Nefmoto.com named Setzi came up with his own logging utility (ME7Logger), and released it as freeware. Though not the most user-friendly utility, ME7L is very powerful and is key to telling the health of a car/tune, or is key to making cars go faster if you're custom tuning. It can log like 30+ variables at a rate of 20+ hz, and can log just about any variable you could ever want. One doesn't need to know the in's and out's of Motronic ME7 to use it though. And that's precisely why I put together this writeup, so that people who may not knowledge/desire to get deep into the ECU can still get this setup and installed with their variables and graphs pre-set, so they can log and graph with just a couple of buttons.

I know it's not for everyone though, just thought I'd throw this up here for those who might be interested.

I really appreciate you attempting to spread the knowledge. I have minimal knowledge on engine tuning and I am sure this will really help. Thanks.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

The performance of the Vag on the RS6 is respectable in turbo mode. That said, you are correct as it will only log 3 items at a time. This info seems really cool but for the most part the owners here have simple Stage 1 or 2 RS6s. I will save this link and thanks for putting together such a complete guide to the parts and pieces.

Even those that are on stock turbos, I'd highly suggest logging your cars with ME7L. Just my opinion.

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    Great write-up. Thanks for sharing.
    Agreed. This is really going to help me out. Thanks for taking the time to do the great writeup!

Hi
    I'm going to try this but I'm using my Vag-Com cable and the flasher says that it is suppoerted..

But I don't understand about the BIN number:
    4. Go to one of the following links to download your ECU's .bin file. Place the .bin file in the ME7logger folder.
    Can I find this number inside my ECU or can I read it in Vag-Com ?

Or how do I find it with the 'NefMoto ECU Flasher' ?
    If I read the ECU info I can see for exampel ECU Software Number "037358187" and a hardware number
    But I can't find any of these numbers ?
    --RS6 4D1907558 0004 0261207857 367724 (not sure if this is the same as the first one or not)
    Last edited by RS8; January 3rd, 2014 at 14:30.

Great write up.

I've been using ME7logger for some time now, the data rate and amount of ECU variables available make it far superior than VAG. If you only want the basics the stock PID's that VAG will display are fine. If you are doing your own tuning and trying to follow the ME7.1 function sheets to understand how the ECU work ME7logger is a must.

jibber,
    You should note that some tuners have safeguards to prevent map reading, some of which can be nasty. If you have a tuned ECU you should really try get a stock .bin file for your ECU before you try read it out.

Here is a example .cfg .ecu file for the 558E (Canadian ECU).
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ogger_558E.zip

I don't understand?
    I can use Ross-Tech Vag-Com to read fault codes and logg data..

So all I want is to use ME7logger so I can logg all sensors, do you say now that I can't do that because I have a custom made chip in my ECU ?

What can happen if I just try one of this .bin file. ?

Quote Originally Posted by RS8 View Post
    I don't understand?
    I can use Ross-Tech Vag-Com to read fault codes and logg data..

So all I want is to use ME7logger so I can logg all sensors, do you say now that I can't do that because I have a custom made chip in my ECU ?

What can happen if I just try one of this .bin file. ?

You should read what model and software your current ECU is with VAG-Com. The model should be 558(x), then you can find a stock .bin that matches.

From my knowledge
    558B is Euro
    558D is US
    558E is Canadian
    558F is Euro RS6Plus

As long as you're using the correct ECU model then the software version shouldn't matter.

ME7logger connects to all the ECU with the same protocol, and then reads the memory locations defined in the .ecu file. If you load the wrong .ecu file it will simply read the wrong data which won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KWest View Post
    You should read what model and software your current ECU is with VAG-Com. The model should be 558(x), then you can find a stock .bin that matches.

From my knowledge
    558B is Euro
    558D is US
    558E is Canadian
    558F is Euro RS6Plus

As long as you're using the correct ECU model then the software version shouldn't matter.

ME7logger connects to all the ECU with the same protocol, and then reads the memory locations defined in the .ecu file. If you load the wrong .ecu file it will simply read the wrong data which won't hurt anything.
    Thanks.
    But I don't find 558 anywhere ?
    I have cheked boat with vag-com and Nef moto ecu flasher but I only see other numbers?
    And on my ecu label there is no letter after 558 ?

Quote Originally Posted by RS8 View Post
    Thanks.
    But I don't find 558 anywhere ?
    I have cheked boat with vag-com and Nef moto ecu flasher but I only see other numbers?
    And on my ecu label there is no letter after 558 ?

That would match the first and third download then.

Audi RS6 4.2TT BCY 0261207857 4D1907558 366304

Thanks.
    But the second download don't have a letter either? Whats special with that one?