Thread: Dealer offered me $10k trade in value for my RS6...HELP

Dealer offered me $10k trade in value for my RS6...HELP

Brought my RS6 with 90k miles to an Audi dealership in the Seattle area and got the dreaded torque converter call. I have been looking at a new A7/S7, but they are offering me $10K trade in for my RS6 because they are telling me a new torque converter would be around $7k.

I have owned my RS6 since it was new and it is completely stock. I have been using the search function to educate myself on the rebuilt ACE Converter...does anyone know a reliable shop in the Seattle or anywhere in Washington that they would recommend to install a rebuilt torque converter at a reasonable rate? Also, are there any other modifications you guys would recommend for reliability if I go forward with the new torque converter?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Go ahead and pay to have your tranny fixed and then sell it privately....you should get low to mid $20k for it.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

For reference, I recall my torque converter replacement at a local Audi dealership coming to around $5500.00. If you do find an independent shop, and are leaning towards keeping the car, I would recommend replacing the primary and secondary O2 sensors, as well as the EGT sensors while the torque converter is being replaced (if they haven't already been addressed).
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by UW_RS6 View Post
    Brought my RS6 with 90k miles to an Audi dealership in the Seattle area and got the dreaded torque converter call. I have been looking at a new A7/S7, but they are offering me $10K trade in for my RS6 because they are telling me a new torque converter would be around $7k.

I have owned my RS6 since it was new and it is completely stock. I have been using the search function to educate myself on the rebuilt ACE Converter...does anyone know a reliable shop in the Seattle or anywhere in Washington that they would recommend to install a rebuilt torque converter at a reasonable rate? Also, are there any other modifications you guys would recommend for reliability if I go forward with the new torque converter?

Clear the code and dump it on a carmax? No but seriously that seems really low offer, and an expensive repair....typical stealership....
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

8 years without a post? You could be straight up about the condition, sell for 15k or so? TC and trans $6,500 with labor, roughly...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

There are a number of folks on the forum from the Seattle area, hopefully someone can direct you to the right shop to do the TC/trans work. If you also add in the O2 and EGT sensors- which can only be replaced with an engine pull and are worth doing at this point- you'll be out more than $7k. That said, you should then be able to get >$20k for your car, especially with a rebuilt trans. Tough call, but as is usually the case, the dealer is trying to make $$ on you...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Spot on what all have said...so what about keeping the car as a classic?, very cool that you're original owner, congrats!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Your car can be driven for a few k more if your easy on it.

Clear the codes and it may not come right back.

Offer it up on the forum as a known condition and you may get 16k for the car if its clean.

Tozo in Chicago can rebuild the entire trans and install a new converter for 5k. Run as fast as you can from the stealer.

BTW the dealer will just clear the code and take it to the auction. Manheim prices will bring 16k for that car at the auction.

Offer it up to the forum at that price if your thinking of selling. Fair price for a known condition.

I sincerely hope you didn't go to Barrier for that quote as they are notoriously high.
    Based on your username, I can only think that you went to University Audi.

Redmond European.

If you are keeping it:
    ACE Torque Converter ($500 or something like that) and get your transmission rebuilt by TozoM8 ($3k - ish).

OR:
    You could just convert it to 6 speed manual for $10k and never have to worry about the slush box.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

$10K. Dealers have no shame.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I second Redmond European. They did my 75K service, and a few other things. It was a good experience all around and it cost me a good deal less. I won't go near that other place anymore, if I can help it.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue, Wagner IC's, Hotchkis, MTM Bimoto 19", RNS-E

Wow...thanks for all the quick and extremely helpful responses. I have been a frequent lurker for 8 years, just never really posted because I promised myself I would not modify or try to save a dying Audi after a disastrous experience with a stage 3 (C4) S6 years ago. But here I am...

I ended up buying an A7 yesterday and I am leaning toward keeping the RS6, just too much fun to drive. So if I go ahead and fix the TC, is it advisable to send the transmission to Tozo and have it rebuilt? Can I just fix the TC drive it for awhile and send the transmission to Tozo when it finally fails or has my transmission most likely sustained permanent damage from driving with the bad TC? I will definitely do the O2 and EGT sensors.

For 10K I would seriously consider the manual swap...but from all the threads I have read this does not seem possible yet?

I want to do this right the first time, any other parts I should be replacing with 90k miles while I have everything out? Thanks again for the help!

The labor is $2-3000 per engine pull depending, so with the amount of miles I would highly recommend a trans rebuild also. $3k for trans, $500 tc, $400 shipping, Tozo. Just got my car back today and his rebuild feels good! And the failing tc probably put some strain on your trans, along with you've got max miles already. Mine went south at 94k, modified the last 15k though. Cheers on the A7, beautiful car with sloping back.