Thread: Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control gone bad

Dynamic Headlight Dimmer Control gone bad

Hi All,

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I didn't find it on a search.

A few weeks ago I got a flicker or two of the headlight dimmer control warning light. This warning came one as I pounded over some rough road in my neighbourhood. A day or two later, over some more bumps, the light came on for good.

Looking in the owners manual, it says, dynamic headlight dimmer control, take to dealer for servicing. I took it to my service guy and he'd reset the lights, but the light has stayed on.

They are aimed perfectly but they don't dip and reset when the lights are turned on and that annoying warning light is always on. I checked the link to the front left suspension arm and it appears to fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Is there a rear link? Thought there was but maybe not. Check the plugs? (wifes' idea)

Transmission is probably going south...
    2013 Audi S8

its the box itself that is bad. the level sensor with the arm that is connected to the control arm. i have the same issue. they are like 50 bucks iirc.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Transmission is probably going south...
    Correct 100% given enough time

You talking about the little level control boxes front and rear, was just looking at those earlier today. Off topic, but ever since lowering car headlights have been very low, someone mentioned messing with those boxes to trick the lights? I'm leveled out with vag settings...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

For those that have no idea what we are talking about...it's this little box with the linkage on it, connected to your front left control arm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight Adjuster.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	13283
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    For those that have no idea what we are talking about...it's this little box with the linkage on it, connected to your front left control arm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight Adjuster.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	13283
    Mmm, salty, and i thought mine looked bad
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

no salt..dirt..with a reflection of the flash...
    2013 Audi S8

Thanks - I'll replace that critter and see what happens. You think that one in the picture looks dirty, mine was covered with at least 1/8" of road grit and salt.

Front and back just to confirm, they look easy to access, on a lift...

My car just threw this code. Any follow ups on this? Is it the little motor boxes? Not surprising, given this is now an 11-year old car, I suppose!

CW