Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letter to AoA for review

Stephen,

Could it be that we all want to be like you? Just kidding but your neighbors story is really how it works. I think there was a movie about that family that was planted in the rich neighborhood and so on.

Audi's have become cool in the culture. Say its the motorsport or the German engineering but people notice them, they are comfortable, reliable and sneaky fast even in the base models.

That being said, you still dont sell A8L's, S8's, S7's and so on to uneducated population. After riding in my RS6 over the years and years of trouble free miles and a certain R8 V10 test drive in the mountains. My wife simply stated "sell my xyz $80k pos that always sits in the shop and buy me an A8L or a sport tuned wagon" Period and end of story. That never happens if she didnt ride in my RS6 over the years and ride in the R8 V10. Never ever. So there is much to be said about Stephen and his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post

As far as the dealer network is concerned, yes you nailed it, they are run by complete morons who are far more concerned with numbers of SKU's sold rather than the enthusiast base that supports the brand. If you think for a minute that the rise of Audi popularity is because the A4 is a great family car, you fit right in with the dealer network. Audi's popularity has sky rocketed because of 3 main factors. 1) Success in motorsport. Winning Leman's over and over again gets customers thinking about the benefits of trickle down technology. 2) Audi started importing RS models. Starting with the RS6, then the RS4 etc, etc, the enthusiasts drive and promote significant amounts of word of mouth referral.. For example, when I moved into my little group of houses, I had the only Audi's. (2) I rave about the RS. My neighbors listen to the burbling sounds it makes as it goes by. In the last 4 years, all of my surrounding 4 neighbors have bought AUDI's. This NEVER happens without me driving my RS6. NEVER. 3) AUDI started building reliable products. Maserati still hasnt taken hold in the US because they cant get quality right. They make a beautiful car with a Ferrari heart, but the cars still spend WAY too much time in the shop with mega repair bills for cars out of warranty. (ask me how I know this one )

Again, I am not sure of what your angle is. But the bottom line is if we dont try, it will never come. It is the way it works...it worked for the TTRS and it sold out before any of them ever hit the showroom floor. Same with the RS5. It can happen with the RS6 as well.

Stephen

Again, I am not sure of what your angle is. But the bottom line is if we dont try, it will never come. It is the way it works...it worked for the TTRS and it sold out before any of them ever hit the showroom floor. Same with the RS5. It can happen with the RS6 as well.

Stephen
    I am not against the letter at all, I just don't think there is any chance for the Avant for the reasons I have stated, but for the RS6 sedan there might be. AoA should be getting a good read on potential sales with S6 vs. S7 sales.

I'm gonna jump in the thread with a perhaps silly question, but is there a plan by Audi to make an RS6 sedan at all?

Could be an RS4 Avant/RS5 story copied to RS6 Avant/RS7.

Qisha,

Thank you. I will add appropriate content as suggested above. Please feel free to PM me with contact details.

Warm regards,

Stephen
    Dear Stephen,

another note:

i would recommend to ask for a online survey, like the one for the Audi TT RS. The more potential interest is shown, AoA will start to recalculate.

The two person in charge to address your questions and suggestions are:

Mark Dahncke
    Audi of America Communications
    Phone: +1 703 364 7414
    E-Mail: Mark.Dahncke@AUDI.COM

John Schilling
    Audi of America Communications
    Phone: +1 703 364 7345
    E-Mail: John.Schilling@AUDI.COM

Personally i would advise you giving either one a call, the more the better.

I agree, it is not necessarily the customers responsibility to make AoA reconsider its long-term business plan. But sometimes sales alone do not reflect the true interest for different reasons. If the US Audi Dealerships miss to point out interest for a specific product to AoA, the marketing counts numbers in first place. I dont say there are no direct inquiries, but too few and far between. How come? I can only speculate...

Qisha

I hope this gives you motivation to continue the "fight"!

http://www.audi.se/se/brand/sv/model...s-6-avant.html
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

call me crazy but i'd like to see the RS7 before i'd make the decision to buy an RS6.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I have been advised that MB will be bringing an E63 Estate 4matic in 2014. If GMBH doesn't get it's act together and bring products I/we want, then vaya con dios Audi...

Simple as that. I'm sick of having to lobby to get them to bring their best cars to the US. I would go buy a Ferrari FF today, but for how hideously ugly the thing is.

CW

Well then, I think we should stop bit#hing on the forum and start some action.

1. Contact the AoA managers above.

2. Contact your local Audi dealer. Talk to the General Manager. Leave your contact information for the purchase of a S6 Avant,S4 Avant or RS6 Avant. Take a photo copy of a 15,000 deposit to order any of the above mentioned vehicles.

3. Start a Facebook posting campaign to generate the buzz on Audi's FB site.

If we really want this it can happen. How many of you are willing to drive down to your Audi dealer and speak with the GM? That is where the rubber meets the road on this deal.

I dont give a rats a$$ about some A4 Allroad Avant. I wouldnt even test drive that nasty looking contraption.

Guys...i feel your pain. I have owned several Audi's over the years. I am currently considering picking up a used rs4. I currently own a RUF Porsche 997 turbo chassis, golf r, and range rover full size supercharged autobiography. Had the rs3 been made available for purchase in North America, that golf r would have never found its way into my garage. The RUF is a 250k car brand new. The range is 139k brand new. They are both very very good cars...in fact i would argue they are amongst the best cars available for purchase anywhere. I will replace my range rover should Audi bring the RS6 avant. Note one cavaet, i will not purchase an rs7 or s8....the appeal is not the same for me. They are not special enough for me to part with the big range. The rs6 avant carries with it a cult status just as the rs2 and b5 rs4 did. This is a big part of the appeal for me. Its a special car. It has meaning. It is rare and it has incredible performance for a people carrier. These are the primary reasons for me to want one.

I reckon the demographic for customers looking at purchasing the rs6 avant is as follows...we own at least 3 cars, some of them very special and we have the means to replace one or two with an RS avant with little difficulty. Really surprised AOA is so out of touch with who actually buys special models such as an rs6 avant.

Yep. I have 6 cars as well. Most of them over 500hp

Quote Originally Posted by quattrogeek View Post
    Guys...i feel your pain. I have owned several Audi's over the years. I am currently considering picking up a used rs4. I currently own a RUF Porsche 997 turbo chassis, golf r, and range rover full size supercharged autobiography. Had the rs3 been made available for purchase in North America, that golf r would have never found its way into my garage. The RUF is a 250k car brand new. The range is 139k brand new. They are both very very good cars...in fact i would argue they are amongst the best cars available for purchase anywhere. I will replace my range rover should Audi bring the RS6 avant. Note one cavaet, i will not purchase an rs7 or s8....the appeal is not the same for me. They are not special enough for me to part with the big range. The rs6 avant carries with it a cult status just as the rs2 and b5 rs4 did. This is a big part of the appeal for me. Its a special car. It has meaning. It is rare and it has incredible performance for a people carrier. These are the primary reasons for me to want one.

I reckon the demographic for customers looking at purchasing the rs6 avant is as follows...we own at least 3 cars, some of them very special and we have the means to replace one or two with an RS avant with little difficulty. Really surprised AOA is so out of touch with who actually buys special models such as an rs6 avant.

Well if us costumers could afford euro prices in general, maybee Audi would think about it.
    But imagine a rs6 with 170 tausend usd... ( well i imagine the car would hardly be sold in the us)
    maybe thats as well a Problem for Audi as long production is just around 6000 cars ( Last rs6 c6, i think)

the Production numbers for AMG or m cars are mutch higher, so i guess they can afford low us prices with high number production

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroRS View Post
    Yep. I have 6 cars as well. Most of them over 500hp
    Only 2 here: my RS6 and I recently picked up an H2 SUT. I would part with both in a heartbeat for a chance @ a new RS6. But I plan to keep 1 of them (will be a tough decision)...
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

I am currently in the market and would love the opportunity to purchase the new RS6 in sedan/avant form. I doubt they will bring it, may be time to move. Keep us posted!

I implore your efforts OP, however, realistically I gave up on the brand's willingness to invest in the N/A Market a long time ago.

Audi is simply the smallest of the luxury brands in terms of volume for hot-sedans or wagons. Add this to the fact that their 'signature' are wagons.. which typically plummet into deep dark regions of negative profits, and you at some point just don't offer some products here.

The B5 RS4 didn't make it here, neither did the C5 RS6 plus (or wagon), nor the C6 RS6 and in all likely-hood neither will the avant-only B8 RS4, nor the new RS6.

Is it not evidence enough that the *one* RS6 import over here end up shifting a little more than a thousand? Compare that to the 10K CTS-V's or the thousands of E39's/E60's sold during the same period.

Enthusiasts may have a liking for wagons, but enthusiast sales alone are not enough to sustain entry of a car like this. I mean, the E63 comes in wagon form over here, and I'm pretty sure Mercedes has imported less Wagon E63 AMG's than I have fingers on one hand. Even the great 6MT CTS-V wagon only existed as a final middle finger from Bob Lutz, and with all the praise, perfect scores and grown 30-40year old men acting like school children around it, they've sold < 2,000 vehicles iirc.
    Last edited by blmlozz; December 10th, 2012 at 22:39.