Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current A6 owner needs some love for future RS6 purchase

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    For me, purchasing a RS6 made no rational sense at all:

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
    ---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
    ---Many 1-2hr DIY repairs on other cars require an engine drop on the beast
    ---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
    ---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

Why did I do it?... I've had a driver's license for 35 years:

---This is the ONLY car I've driven with the radio "off" more than "on."
    ---Every time I walk into the garage, I catch myself staring at the damn thing.
    ---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
    ---The car is the definition of a "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
    ---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.
    ---I look forward to a 30 mile daily commute.
    'nuff said !!!

^^+2
    You're really doing you homework on this purchase! Gotta admire that.

Am I glad I bought my car, and would I do it all over again? Yes, without any hesitation.

It just feels "special," and makes me happy every time I drive it. It is quite a bit larger/heavier than a B5, of course. It's also my DD, and reliability hasn't been a big issue thusfar.

Re: brakes, I think the brake "feel" has a lot to do with your pad choice.

I wish you luck with your choice!

thanks everyone.

Here's another question; how's headroom with a helmet? I'm ~ 6' 2"

In the B5 I litertally had to cock my head at a slight angle to fit in there with just a half-shell

The Avant has enough room-- bearly-- with the sunroof, but it has the comfort seats.

Quote Originally Posted by blmlozz View Post
    JS, do you go to Jenroes or any other of the local get togethers?
    i ocassionally go to haygood shopping center, but its a little juvenile. been busy with life and the daughter since i got back from the box.

im available today and tomorrow if you want to come out this way. Bring your helmet, lol, so you can check for clearance.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I'm 6', keep my seat a bit high, hair practically touches, low I would say...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

My service advisor at Hoenh in Carlsbad was 6'8" and about 260lb... He fit in my car
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If helmet clearance is an issue, well, you may want to consider the kanuter valve replacement intervals also...along with the lack of a windshield washer pressure sensor monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    i ocassionally go to haygood shopping center, but its a little juvenile. been busy with life and the daughter since i got back from the box.

im available today and tomorrow if you want to come out this way. Bring your helmet, lol, so you can check for clearance.
    I agree, I haven't been out in a while, I just don't know of anything else out that way really.

Thanks! I may take you up on your offer tomorrow, I'll PM you for your cell or we'll figure something out.

If helmet clearance is an issue, well, you may want to consider the kanuter valve replacement intervals also...along with the lack of a windshield washer pressure sensor monitor.
    lol, eye see what you did there.

I couldn't agree more with this post... am absolutely amazed every time I drive this car - would think I would be used to it by now. Time in the shop has been an issue (one repair, but the stealership couldn't get it right the first 3 times), but tolerable with the Audi loaner. Gotta love the Fidelity warranty. I'm good for almost 3 years and 34k miles and don't dread the 25 mile commute. I suspect the warranty won't be renewable at 108k and 12 years (come 2016) at which point I'll have a tough decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    For me, purchasing a RS6 made no rational sense at all:

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
    ---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
    ---Many 1-2hr DIY repairs on other cars require an engine drop on the beast
    ---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
    ---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

Why did I do it?... I've had a driver's license for 35 years:

---This is the ONLY car I've driven with the radio "off" more than "on."
    ---Every time I walk into the garage, I catch myself staring at the damn thing.
    ---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
    ---The car is the definition of a "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
    ---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.
    ---I look forward to a 30 mile daily commute.