Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current A6 owner needs some love for future RS6 purchase

Current A6 owner needs some love for future RS6 purchase

Hi everyone, I've been trolling around for a few days now, and I must say I'm impressed with how tight-knit this community is, with that said I'm hopeful you might be able to give a current Avant owner some tips on what it's like to own these cars.

Generally, I'm trying to decide between an E39 or a C5 RS6. Essentially the turning point comes at the decision whether the RS6 would turn into a money pit and if it's going to be as special to drive as the E39.

There are a few factors that complicate this question however. Foremost being that my VAG wrenching experience is vast.. I've owned a B5 A4/S4 and currently own a C5 Avant.

needless to say, The RS6 would likely prove to provide little difficulity (other than working around a twin turbo V8) for me in repairing/diagnosing.

The second being that I swore I wouldn't buy another automatic 'fun' car again, and we'll.. the RS6 doesn't fit that bill from the get-go and the M5 does. It's true I would be using this as my DD, and I did like the auto V better in that respect, and I also like the paddles on the RS6 (being that they're *real* paddles and not after-thoughts like on the V).. However.. as I'm sure you'll agree, there's simply no replacement for a clutch pedal.

So the questions;

a) generally, I'd like to figure out if my 99 2.8 Avant is somewhat similar to what it's like to drive a C5.

I find the Pedal extremely soft, and it doesn't seem to really have a hard stopping point, it's possible something's wrong with my car but I've also seen the old reviews indicate the 8 pots have a soft initial travel. Note that my car has fresh pads and fresh fluid.

I find the steering to be fairly dead, and it's very boosted, there's *some* feedback, but currently owning a 2012 CTS-V, there's oobviously little comparison. I know the RS6 has aluminum uprights (and possibly a different rack?) so I'd like to know if this is any different.

Also, I've always found that the understeer point on this generation of quattro is fairly early.. and it sort of spoils the fun. How much of a difference will some swaybars and suspension help in correcting this?

Lastly, how's the power delivery with the 4.2? The most thing I loved about my APB was that it was visceral and kicked you in the pants, it felt a lot faster than it was. By comparison, my CTSV has 506whp.. and it's so smooth It's hard to get excited rowing through the gears.

b) The goal of the car is essentially to go autocrossing and maybe some controlled HPDE's.. nothing professional or even ameature , purely recreational. Still.. I'd like you to keep this in mind for the following;
    As far as cost of ownership is for this car, is it going to kill me? As stated prior, the work I can do myself, but parts costs will be a concern, and the major parts that get stressed for stuff like this are also the weakest, and seem to cost the most. Don't get me wrong, I like wrenching on my car, even if it's to fix something, but when I see people with 4,5,6 or 9K in repairs for the trans multiple times, it concerns me. At that point I might as well garage it until I can swap an 01E, and if it's garaged I'm not enjoying the car..

Eventually, I'd like to covert it to an 01E anyway..I saw the thread where someone is offering a conversion set for $2100 but I haven't found an acutal swap thread, fab work is not my strong suite. Is this something I can bolt on with a6 drivetrain with someone to tune the ABS/ESP back in or will it require some custom work? I would think it would be considering what I know about the powertrain, but you never know until you do the deed..

C) do you generally have any regrets of ownership? Which would you personally choose?
    I've gone over the pros and cons of both, including the rarity of this vehicle, which means the nearly non-existiant aftermarket and the fact that there's a lot of 'OEM' modifications I could do that could easily buy me a supercharged E39 by itself.

it also means insurance will be high, and It may become an abyss of cash by shear fact that there's so much expensive stuff I would want to do with it (recaro seats, RNS-E, brake upgrades, upgraded turbos, things of that nature.. aside from the $8K 01E swap..)

Generally, I'd like to know, compared to the other vehicle's you own how 'special' the RS6 makes you feel. I have a tingle right now, the idea of owning something more rare than the Gallardo at cars and coffee, of a twin turbo V8, and wrenching on a VAG again, but I've made impulse buy's on what I 'Thought' I was buying and then I acutally had to live with it for a year. My only real car love was a B5 S4.. it was visceral, it was small and tossable and it made me feel good.

If the RS6 drives like the S4 I'd be hooked. If It doesn't though, I don't think I'll be able to made the move based on the 'idea' of the car again and I'd pick the safer E39..it's already well established to be 'the defacto' super sedan.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by blmlozz; November 20th, 2012 at 23:53.

Wow!... Lot's of talking points. First off:

Where are you located?
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

haha, I had a lot to think about while waiting for my account to be cleared, and my thread over on audizine made me scratch my head on some oher things.

I'm located in Suffolk, VA.

there are a few for sale ~ 2hours away. Naturally that's a long drive..

Torque beast, awd, paddle shifting, money pit...nuf said...puts a hurt on the E60, steering is more responsive too...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

If I didn't need Quattro, I would have put a 1000 hp blower motor in my Vic. That said, GOD I LOVE THIS CAR!!...so smooth, so competent and I can't get it to slip for nothing. It has become my DD, and if it needs 6-10k for maintenance, so be it.

Perfect car for my environment. You have to be the judge for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by blmlozz View Post
    So within a 240 mile range, right?

i live in vb, but mines not for sale.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

haha, I had a lot to think about while waiting for my account to be cleared, and my thread over on audizine made me scratch my head on some oher things.

I'm located in Suffolk, VA.

Hi and I am over here also
    LOTS of great information and several for sale
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Hi and I am over here also
    Confused...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I you already have a CTSV .... ? They're great cars. These old dawgs might disappoint you.

An E39 is equally as cool; just not AWD , not for one year , and not 1 of 800 or so cars for the USA.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

I have considered this as well, but I have to get rid of the v to free up some cash. I do miss my old B5 truthfully..I'm hoping some of that nostalgea will resonate with the C5.

JS, do you go to Jenroes or any other of the local get togethers?

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Confused...

I'm confused as well. I inquired where he was located due to a "Cars n' Coffee" comment in the OP.... Just thought he may be from MN?
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Cars and coffee is national :P

theres a gallardo superleggera over in va beach here

ben posted over in my poll post on audizine.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...39-M5-or-CTS-V

For me, purchasing a RS6 made no rational sense at all:

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
    ---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
    ---Many 1-2hr DIY repairs on other cars require an engine drop on the beast
    ---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
    ---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

Why did I do it?... I've had a driver's license for 35 years:

---This is the ONLY car I've driven with the radio "off" more than "on."
    ---Every time I walk into the garage, I catch myself staring at the damn thing.
    ---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
    ---The car is the definition of a "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
    ---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.
    ---I look forward to a 30 mile daily commute.

Cars and coffee is national :P
    I'm aware of this... Just thought I'd ask.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    For me, purchasing a RS6 made no rational sense at all:

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
    ---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
    ---Many 1-2hr DIY repairs on other cars require an engine drop on the beast
    ---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
    ---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

Why did I do it?... I've had a driver's license for 35 years:

---This is the ONLY car I've driven with the radio "off" more than "on."
    ---Every time I walk into the garage, I catch myself staring at the damn thing.
    ---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
    ---The car is the definition of a "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
    ---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.
    ---I look forward to a 30 mile daily commute.

I feel the same for most of the above reasons and a few more of my own

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    I feel the same for most of the above reasons and a few more of my own
    Could it be the 850lb/tq?!?!?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Could it be the 850lb/tq?!?!?
    750 lb/tq or 950 nm for us euro lot and YES that just makes me love her even more ........she may be a 10 yr old girl now but I don't know very many exotics that have that even from new, be they a day old car or 10 yrs old one!!