Thread: '14 Porsche Macan - diferent from Q5

'14 Porsche Macan - diferent from Q5

Interesting stuff in this small interview, read it...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...e-macan-not-q5

Very interesting car this. I always liked the idea of the Porsche Cayenne, but it was just a bit too big for London and the badge just didn't say the right things...

...How times change. The Macan should be a lot like the RS3 but a bit bigger, a bit faster, a bit more space, slightly more comfortable, slightly better perceived quality, and a lot better off-road. I think it'll sell very well, depending on how much they ask for it. Let's hope they get the styling right. It could result in a very desirable machine. Of course, if it's too desirable, it may eat the market share of many more expensive cars including models from Audi and Porsche.

When they release Macan with 2.0 diesel engine, and they will, you gona see enormus number of this, I must say, so called Porsches...

Same thing happend with Cayenne, I'm talking about Europe, when 3.0 diesel was introduced selling gone "sky high"!

I think its gona look very nive, this upcoming Porsche Macan...

video last testing phase (with less camo too)

http://www.quattroruote.it/notizie/f...-debutto-video

I know this is an old article and I know the guy has to sell his brand but saying that the Macan is not a Q5 is being a bit disingenuous to Audi egnineers. How about the platform, you know the thing that makes up the car, the electronics and other systems. Audi always gets a ton of crap for sharing platforms, not saying it's right, but Porsche gets a pass on the Cayenne. People call the Q7 a Touareg but somehow think the Cayenne is its own thing.

On a different note, is the Macan going to use the current Q5 platform or is riding on the MLB Evo? I guess Porsche won't be telling this part.

Macan is here, but I'm confused with this 3.6 V6 turbo engine...?

Displacement is same, but I doubt its V(R)6, is it "regular" V6 engine...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Macan is here, but I'm confused with this 3.6 V6 turbo engine...?

Displacement is same, but I doubt its V(R)6, is it "regular" V6 engine...
    I think it's the 3.6 from the Panamera with turbos. It's weird that the 3.6 TT has a pretty low (underrated on paper probably) power rating considering the updated Panamera has a bigger rating from the 3.0T. Seems a bit of an overkill with both a 3.0T and the 3.6T but I think the China 3 liter rule plays a role.

Panamera has 3.6 VR6 N/A engine, you think that engine with turbow have find its way into Macan turbo...?

That would be my guess. The 3.0 turbo from the current Panamera is is based of that engine I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    That would be my guess. The 3.0 turbo from the current Panamera is is based of that engine I believe.
    Nope...!

3.0 T from Panamera S is "regular" V6 engine, with two cilinder heads, while 3.6 found in Cayenne and Panamera is VR6 engine, it has small deegres angle between cilinders so it packs all of them under one cilinder head. Its basicly VWs engine, last car to have it was Passat R36...

Macan S, I belive, has same engine as Panamera S, engine in Macan turbo is probably based on that 3.0...

Nope...!

3.0 T from Panamera S is "regular" V6 engine, with two cilinder heads, while 3.6 found in Cayenne and Panamera is VR6 engine, it has small deegres angle between cilinders so it packs all of them under one cilinder head. Its basicly VWs engine, last car to have it was Passat R36...

Macan S, I belive, has same engine as Panamera S, engine in Macan turbo is probably based on that 3.0...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Nope...!

It's actually more complicated than that. The base Cayenne has the Volkswagen VR6 but the base Panamera actually has a Porsche V6 that is the old 4.8 V8 with two cylinders cut off. I think the 3.0 turbo and the 3.6 turbo are both versions of that V6.

...the base Panamera actually has a Porsche V6 that is the old 4.8 V8 with two cylinders cut off. I think the 3.0 turbo and the 3.6 turbo are both versions of that V6.
    I was sure that same 3.6 VR6 goes into Panamera to!

But, I did a double check and you are wright!

Base Panamera has regular V6, and that engine is probably the base ror the 3.0 turbo and 3.6 turbo engine...
    Last edited by AndyBG; December 1st, 2013 at 12:39.