Thread: RNSE question. How difficult is it to take a European RNSE from an 03 A6 and update..

RNSE question. How difficult is it to take a European RNSE from an 03 A6 and update..

it to work for a north american car? Seems there are a few RNSE units for sale on Ebay in either DE or UK and if I can purchase one for cheap my wife fly's over there often and can pick it up from a relative I have living there. What is the effort (or is there effort) to recode a Europen RNSE so it'll work in the US or Canada? Are there specific model numbers that work? I've done some searching for answeres but not found a clear on yet.

Thanks.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

I am pretty sure it is just a matter of updating the software. The one in my car has a "CD/TV" button which I believe means it is Euro market.

I don't remember what the exact procedure was, but it was fairly simple. I put a Euro A6 RSN-E in my S4 about 6 years ago. Got it off ebay.uk.m

Seems like some of the DIY resources I used back then have vanished. So if you find them please post them back up. I felt like the RNS-E was antiquated and expensive back then. Very surprised to see that they are still selling for such a high price. If I could find one for cheap I'd probably put it in the wife's S6 just for looks. Otherwise I don't feel they are worth the money. You would get better options and performance (and save money) just mounting an ipad to the dash!

If you are familiar with computers it is pretty easy. However, there is always a risk of bricking the unit.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    If you are familiar with computers it is pretty easy. However, there is always a risk of bricking the unit.
    What do you mean by Bricking? There is also talk of getting a new A3 2012 unit and then trying to find the correct faceplate. I've seen them for sale here for nearly $1500 but I'm not working with that kind of budget.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Brick= corrupt the software, and make the unit a paperweight.

Here is a DIY on how to convert; http://audiforum.us/threads/diy-conv...version.12109/

I did the 2012 unit in our A4, and it was not fun (sourcing faceplate, replacing faceplate, EU to US software...), but well worth it!

Keep an eye out, the old RNS-E can be had for good prices. I paid less than $700 for mine and it was converted and ready to install.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement