Thread: OEM Windshield Replacement

OEM Windshield Replacement

My windsheild is toast,

Convinced Geico to override policy and approve an OEM product from the AUDI dealer, GEICO had wanted to replace with cheaper aftermarket ( yeah right ) they changed tune when I explained to them that it's not fair to diminish the value of the car by not providing OEM replacement parts.

The markings on my broken windshield are as follows in the lower driver side corner:

OOOO
    SIGLA
    43 R 001039
    AS 1 M 73-3 DOT 25
    VSG Tinted
    2 ....
    And an E1 in a circle.

It seems this was the orignal Windshield from production, seems that the dealer cannot guarantee that SIGLA will be the replacement brand name glass but the Glass will be OEM Spec and the 4 rings will be present.I want it done right & I think by going with the AUDI dealer endorsed tech it will be all good - they require you to leave the car overnight to set and it is replaced at a collisision center. Any one have any expreience with windshield replacement? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windshield.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	12923Thoughts?
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

I had my car one month and took a bolt to the windshield at 70mph in the drivers line of sight.
    Initially I was going to get it filled but the cracks started to run within 2 days (high heat of the day followed by cooler nights)
    I insisted on OEM glass due to the value of the vehicle and USAA approved it.

It took a week to get the glass from Audi.
    The installer was of those big chain auto glass replacement businesses and they sent out their high end glass installer.

It took about 2 hrs to install:
    removal of wiper arms.
    removal of rear view mirror
    removal of that pesky grill that lets water leak into your cabin air filter (if you can replace both at that time, do it)
    removal of glass (mine was in one piece)
    clean up of "glue"
    apply glue
    install glass by himself
    reinstall everything else.

No water or washing of car for 24-48hrs.

Even the OEM glass has waves in it but it does have the 4 rings on it.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

just get it from Audi and you'll get one that's made to spec. I just got a Pilkington last week.

-bill

Sigla (and Sekurit) are the assembly line glass for many German autos. Typically, here in the states especially, you will not be able to get a Sigla (or Sekurit) branded glass. I tried hard years ago to get Sigla windshields specific to the 500E cars....I even went as far as to contakt MB parts HQ in Hannover D-land...no dice.

The OE replacement glass by Audi is still good and shouldn't affect whatever value is left in these cars. No worries.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

2 x thru Audi dealer - I would not accept otherwise from the insurance co.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Thanks guys, I am going thru Audi dealer and they said the windshield will have the four rings on it but cannot promise it will be Sigla, the last one they installed was Pilkington..so they suggest it could be one of those as suggested by PWM above. TYA & Have a great weekend!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

just got it back from Audi and got Pilkington windshield installed, it has the four rings on the lower driver side, only thing is that there seems to be a gap at the top of the glass where the glass meets the roof, cannot recall if that was like that before, can someone advise me if this is normal? Other wise all good!

They didn't install it correctly...it's too close to the bottom frame if there is a gap at the top.

Quite common (normal) when a human installs these and usually only one person does it making it hard to get right; they'll lay the bottom of the glass in first on an angle, then lay it down. Itsa a one shot deal.

When the assembly line robot does it; it's perfectly aligned every time.

Do you notice any excess wind noise that wasn't there before?
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    They didn't install it correctly...it's too close to the bottom frame if there is a gap at the top.

Quite common (normal) when a human installs these and usually only one person does it making it hard to get right; they'll lay the bottom of the glass in first on an angle, then lay it down. Itsa a one shot deal.

When the assembly line robot does it; it's perfectly aligned every time.

Do you notice any excess wind noise that wasn't there before?

Have not checked for excess wind noise yet however I did notice the rather large gap btwn the roof and windshield....looked at an S4 parked in my parking lot and it had no gap at all. Should I ask them to refit?...is that possible?

You bet, if it's not to your liking ; make a stink. BTDT a few times myself.

Show them the other car(s) on their lot with little or no gap.

They prolly won't refit it tho, prolly another new windshield. The 'glue' cures pretty fast, like in a day or so.

You bet, if it's not to your liking ; make a stink. BTDT a few times myself.

Show them the other car(s) on their lot with little or no gap.

They prolly won't refit it tho, prolly another new windshield. The 'glue' cures pretty fast, like in a day or so.

Just spoke with the glass co on the phone and advised about the gap....suggested that maybe needs to be replaced for better centering/fit or another option is for them to eat my $100 deductible to make it a zero cost item to make up for the off center placement of the glass and just drive it as is.

Thoughts?

I complained to my insurance (100% glass coverage is included in my policy) , they then 'made' the glass company make it right....which resulted in a new windshield. But i had alot of wind noise as it wasn't sitting flush with the roof at the top.

I suggest you take it up with Geico instead of the glass company and say you are not happy with what the glass company did.

If no luck with Geico...wait a week or 2 , then rap it with a hammer and say a rock hit you on the highway, voila, new windshield time. You didn't hear that from me tho LOL

I complained to my insurance (100% glass coverage is included in my policy) , they then 'made' the glass company make it right....which resulted in a new windshield. But i had alot of wind noise as it wasn't sitting flush with the roof at the top.

I suggest you take it up with Geico instead of the glass company and say you are not happy with what the glass company did.

Geico wanted me to use safelight their preferred glass partner and I insisted on using the audi dealer glass partner...so I think taking it up with Geico will be useless since I did not use their preferred glass provider. I will work it out with the company directly so that I'm happy however right now the glass is not sitting flush with the roof at the top either will report back on wind noise....