Thread: S6 transmission question

S6 transmission question

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've got a 2003 S6 with 190,000 km on it. It's currently up for sale and the last guy who came by to take it for a test drive discovered the transmission in a "limp home" mode. When he shifted from Park to Drive, he found it clunked rather heavily. Then, it drove like a dog. When I jumped behind the wheel I realized that it must be stick in 3rd gear. It didn't shift up or down. It didn't matter if it was in "D" or "S" or tiptronic. It wouldn't shift from that gear. Additionally, the display had all the letters lit up "PNRDS".

I shut off the ignition and restarted it and then it ran fine.

It had never done this before, but needless to say, it scared the potential purchaser away.

Any ideas on the issue? Thanks.

F125 switch.
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Wow, looks like the S6's are conspiring against us. I was on my way to work Friday when the same thing happened to my '03 S6. Funny thing is, I was about to put mine up for sale. I probably shouldn't have mentioned selling her while driving So it looks like I will most likely go 6-speed Good luck with yours, hope it's an easy fix!

I have an extra rebuilt S6 trans. Email me at tozoa8 at yahoo dot com
    Last edited by TozoM8; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:15.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
    Wow, looks like the S6's are conspiring against us. I was on my way to work Friday when the same thing happened to my '03 S6. Funny thing is, I was about to put mine up for sale. I probably shouldn't have mentioned selling her while driving So it looks like I will most likely go 6-speed Good luck with yours, hope it's an easy fix!
    I just finished a 6-speed swap into my '03 S6 and it was worth every penny. We're somewhat fortunate as the OEM ECU code already exists from the European S6 6MT. Once you flash that and code out the TCU it'll be like you have a new ride all over again! I had the itch to sell my S6 back in March and I'm glad I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GTA_S6 View Post
    I just finished a 6-speed swap into my '03 S6 and it was worth every penny. We're somewhat fortunate as the OEM ECU code already exists from the European S6 6MT. Once you flash that and code out the TCU it'll be like you have a new ride all over again! I had the itch to sell my S6 back in March and I'm glad I didn't.
    Good to hear! Who did the work on yours?
    I've talked to or emailed a number of guys on the forums. Gabor (Tozom8), Steve Kendrish, Scott Dewitt, Pete, and Linus have all been very helpful; I feel confident enough now that this can be pulled off without too many hiccups. I just need to find someone in the SF bay area to do the work for a decent price, as I don't have the room or equipment to pull this off.

PS. Sorry cgyrs6 for the thread hijack! Have you scanned it yet? Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
    Good to hear! Who did the work on yours?
    I've talked to or emailed a number of guys on the forums. Gabor (Tozom8), Steve Kendrish, Scott Dewitt, Pete, and Linus have all been very helpful; I feel confident enough now that this can be pulled off without too many hiccups. I just need to find someone in the SF bay area to do the work for a decent price, as I don't have the room or equipment to pull this off.
    I'm on the East coast of Canada so I had a local shop (Eurotech) do the work. I sourced a rebuilt 01E transmission from Scott Dewitt and he was great to deal with. Honestly if I did not have such a strong relationship with my local shop I would have shipped my car to Texas to get Scott to do the work.

There should be no hiccups at all since the S6 is the cleanest car to do the swap on. PM me if you have any questions. I hope cgyrs6 will be taken care of with Tozo's transmission. As I understand 190,000 kms is a long time for the tip trans so it was on borrowed time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cgyrs6 View Post
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've got a 2003 S6 with 190,000 km on it. It's currently up for sale and the last guy who came by to take it for a test drive discovered the transmission in a "limp home" mode. When he shifted from Park to Drive, he found it clunked rather heavily. Then, it drove like a dog. When I jumped behind the wheel I realized that it must be stick in 3rd gear. It didn't shift up or down. It didn't matter if it was in "D" or "S" or tiptronic. It wouldn't shift from that gear. Additionally, the display had all the letters lit up "PNRDS".

I shut off the ignition and restarted it and then it ran fine.

It had never done this before, but needless to say, it scared the potential purchaser away.

Any ideas on the issue? Thanks.
    Need the codes. 100 reasons why the trans goes to limp mode.

Had a chance to connect up today. The codes were:
    18232 - pressure control valve short to end valve 3
    18227 - pressure control valve short to end valve 2
    18222 - pressure control valve short to end valve 1

The car has been fine ever since.

What in the world does that mean?

Thanks

Water in TCU area, dirty wiring connector on the trans (above the trans pan on the front). #27 on the pic.
    http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...m_DSCN1322.JPG
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Water in TCU area, dirty wiring connector on the trans (above the trans pan on the front). #27 on the pic.
    http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...m_DSCN1322.JPG
    If it turns out to be water-related damage to the TCU, I have an extra from my 6MT swap that I've not sold yet.