Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
Importing to the EU is WAY easier than importing to the US. We would have to crash test 3 of them, then make modifications, pay for EPA testing, etc.
The USA crash testing keeps a lot of 'special' european cars out of the USA. However, Audi Australia imported I believe 10 C6 RS6's (3 sedans, 7 Avants) into Oz and all sold at US$260k! (note 50% of price is australian luxury import tax- soak the rich is always popular with the voters). Oz population only 22 million. Crash testing not required in Oz for EU compliant imports if already crash tested in EU.

I cannot believe that AOA did not import the C6 RS6 into USA. Even at ~US$130k, it would have I believe sold enough to break even, even after crash test expenses. More importantly, it would have lifted the profile of Audi significntly at the top end of the market as a even a lightly mapped C6 RS6 blows away all the top end merc, bmw opposition plus the cache of a Lamborghini derived V10 modified by Audi.

However that is now history. I cant believe that if the C7 RS6 is as good as it sounds, that AOA will let this opportunity slip again.

BMW and merc go to the trouble of qualifying their top end cars for the US market. Perhaps they are loss leaders and this is the price to pay for enhancing the marques prestige.

just my two cents worth.
john

ps I am a member of the Ayn Rand fan club.