Quote Originally Posted by Dr99 View Post
But continuing your analogy, there are many different shaped glasses that people see through that affect the appearance of half empty or half full. I'm still struggling with the the vibe I'm picking up here that I should sit on the sidelines and not voice my opinion constructively.
If you’re getting that vibe from me, then I’m not being clear. I’m not trying to keep people from lobbying for cars. On the contrary, I’d love to see those cars come over and the more boisterous the better. However, undue criticism of the product planners and execs making the call is unproductive. Those guys are enthusiasts, but they’re also tasked with growing the Audi market and they’re very good at what they do. They freel the frustration themselves as well as from the frustrated, so the louder the requests and the more handraisers they find, the more likely something is to happen.

What makes me think that is the fact in ten years of ownership of regular model line, S, and RS Audi vehicles, Audi has never contacted me regarding anything, much less my future interests. I've also provided dealerships feedback, and am reluctantly adopting social media to help communicate my preferences. All of that has gone unanswered, unacknowledged, or dismissed. Meanwhile, I have direct access to MBUSA/AMG in their Private Lounge, constantly looking for feedback and directly allowing customers to interact with decision influencers. They seem to find the balance of keeping their customers informed without tipping their hat to the competition. I also receive regular surveys as a Porsche owner.
That’s well worded and I think would hit home for Audi. I know they do conduct focus groups, repeat customer programs VIP programs, etc. but am not 100% on how that is chosen. I know I’m not considered for those because I am “press” so handled differently. I don’t have any real first hand knowledge there, but sharing that with them (especially the part about MBUSA and Porsche) will likely grab their attention because it’s constructive and/or shows you are on the radar of some key competitors if not for some reason with them.

“No doubt there are more S cars, and even more RS on the way. But the difficult pattern of US RS cars makes it difficult to stay with the brand over time. What is the purchase path for the 2003 RS6 owner? As a former RS4 owner what am I to purchase supposed to purchase next? An RS7? Subjective, but I don't like the looks at all, and its a big price jump. TTRS? RS5? Not practicle for a family. S model...perhaps, but it difficult for me to take a step down when I've had Audi's best and most exclusive. Why was it achievable before for the two sedans when Audi had dramatically less volume? “

If I were you I’d look at the S6. You don’t like the S7 and the RS 7 is priced too high. If that’s the case then an RS 6 Avant would be priced too high as well. The Avant model is (would be) already very expensive for Audi so would be priced higher and the RS 6 has bespoke fenders (those awesome flares) that would raise the price even higher. The S6 is a monster, even with just an S-badge and I’d encourage you to drive one.

RS 4 Avant? This could still happen, but it’s far from locked in as sometimes is suggested. There are lots of fans of this car in Herndon but right now what Germany expects them to commit to and what their models tell them the US will purchase are too far apart. The last thing any of us want is for them to bring a car like that in and have a failure whereby cars are sitting at dealers and end up being discounted just to get rid of. Cases like that really hurt the chances for future models. On the other end, RS 4 Avant would DEFINITELY be more easily imported than RS 6 because the A4 Avant bodystyle is still here and the 4.2 FSI high-rev is already homologated for RS 5.

Audi has been about innovation in their cars recently...FSI, DSGs, LEDs, TDI, Etron, and so on. Perhaps it's time to look at the evolving model of how products come to market with the likes of kickstarter, indigogo, etc. Obviously there are regulatory challenges, but what about committed demand helping set milestones for what is offered and at what price. That communicates the volume numbers and puts it in the hands of its customers to show their commitment. If it fails, we only can blame ourselves.
Funny you should mention that (great minds think alike ). After using it for the first time to donate funds to ‘The Little Red Sportscar’ story book, I threw the kickstarter idea past Scott Keogh as a way to make RS 4 happen. He liked the idea, but not sure where that went. I’ll follow up. Thanks for the reminder.

Lastly, it is common that data be interpreted half empty or half full depending on who's looking at it. If Audi brought an RS4 or RS6 avant here it was a flop, then I'd go back and crawl under my rock and let it be. But right now it feels like theres just speculation on both sides that makes it difficult to remain a customer.
Rome isn’t built in a day. They have a clear strategy for continuing to grow the brand. With new volume comes new models. With the weakening EU market, comes new pressure to grow the USA even faster. That rapid growth sometimes leaves it a human resource (man hours) problem versus a budgetary one, but they have many projects on their plate and the good thing is that RS is important to them. They want to try to make it happen and clearly TT RS (just ending), RS 5 coupe, RS 5 Cabriolet, and RS 7 (about to drop) are the most RS models they’ve ever had in the USA at one time. I’d mortgage a limb and trade my wife’s Touareg TDI in on the RS 6 Avant if it comes, but I see their strategy in bringing the ones they have brought and it appears to be working.

Seriously, test drive the S6. Let me know what you think… and let your voices be heard (constructively) on what you want. Herndon and Germany ARE listening.