Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I paid too much for my BEAST

I paid too much for my BEAST

I bought my beast 3 months ago. I paid way too much for the car. I went into a local exotic / high end used car dealership looking to test drive a Mercedes C300 4matic they had for sale. (Looking for something pretty my wife could drive when I was not using it). I had no interest in Audi. I am more of a classic car guy. Love my 68 Nova. The salesman insisted that I drive the RS6 they recieved in 3 days ago. He said that he would be happy to sell me a Mercedes, but that I had to drive this car. Keep in mind that I am stubborn and cheap. My last daily driver was 1995 Camry with 225K miles on it and I was completely happy driving it. Carmax took that beast off my hands for $800. I kept test driving cars only because my wife was on my case. The day I bought my RS6, she actually said, "YOU BETTER COME BACK WITH A NEW CAR!" Yeah, yeah, whatever, I thought. Anyway, when I got into the drivers seat of the RS6 for the first time, I was HOOKED! I couldn't let it go. I told him that I needed time to research price and such and learn more about what I was buying, so I could make a fair offer. He said, "This car could easily be gone tomorrow."

Ebony on Ebony with Carbon Fiber trim
    48,000 miles
    Price: $35,000 (he held a folder of over $10,000 worth of dealership work done in the last 6 months)

They were not willing to budge on price that day. They were confident that that car would sell within 10 days at or around $35,000. They threw in a set of all weather tires (junk… not the PSS's you all have), and I bought the beast at $35,000.

After reading more and reviewing the posts here, I know I overpaid. To be fair, I would not have even heard of an RS6 if it were not for this salesman. The salesman pointed me to this forum, which was another great introduction. But paid too much.

The real question is this, have I had buyer's remorse?

None. Zero. Zilch. I am just pumped to get in and drive this beauty every day. You all might think I am crazy. Some of you would have sold me your RS6 for that kind of money. Regardless, its worth it to me and I am happy. Strange I know.

Has anyone else paid too much for their beast? Or am I the only one?
    Last edited by 1uglymug; August 8th, 2012 at 16:53.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Don't even talk to those of us that have owned their cars for 5~9 years and mention paying too much
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I bought mine in January for $27K, and I thought I was paying a premium, but it was worth it to me. One owner, all records, new TB/alignment/tires, immaculate. There aren't many one owner RS6's out there anymore, so I figured it was now or never. I love the car. It hauls ass. It certainly gets attention. I just hope to get two good years out of it before that inevitable engine/transmission pull. When that happens, I will be going all in again with all niggly stuff replaced, ACE converter, and some kind of tune. And then it will be a new car again - just like my 94 S4 was when I took it full RS2.

I would not feel bad about 35K for an immaculate 48K mi car. In the overall scheme of things, you could have done so much worse in so many ways.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Don't even talk to those of us that have owned their cars for 5~9 years and mention paying too much
    At least you got white!!!!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

I absolutely paid too much, and I know it, but like Craig says, I was willing to pay more for a well-maintained one-owner car with all of the service records available than I would have been willing to pay for a multiple-owner car with sketchy records.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Paid $26k at 87,000 miles last year, pretty good shape and lots of recent work done. Got a few scratches here and there but not bad. Sometimes I think I overpaid when I see similar or cleaner models for $23k or so, then I realize that I got the perfect color and package (Mugelo, Black, Carbon, Warm Weather), and I was able to have the chance to buy this car, and it's well worth it!

I don't think you overpaid that much for such a nice clean model, and package, enjoy the car!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

With a vehicle as rare as ours, it's very hard to define a definite price that's it's worth at a given time / mileage / etc. If you like the car you got and it was the right time for you to purchase it, who's to say you overpaid?

If I plot out a line between a zero mile RS6 @ $85k and what I paid for a ~95k mile RS6, your price per mile is below the curve, so in terms of dollars/mileage you did good

there is one on ebay for $37,950 with 28k miles ....on another note, the prices in US for the beasts are one of the highest compared with the other markets, i am sure it has to do with the fact that less than 1500 units got there, here are also very few, maybe less than 100 hundred were imported to UAE, but they're not as appreciated as in other countries, mainly us as expats coming from Europe or USA know their true value and love them . So, I've paid for mine $15k with 69k miles on the clock and FSH with Audi, in a very good condition(outside/inside) and i've spent another almost 10k so far on pure maintenance(timing belt, vacuum hoses, spark plugs, tires, different seals, CV-boots, brake booster, etc....all the common things ) and a few mods, and still will have to do an engine pull in the winter to do a TC and other preventive small things...initially i wanted to buy one with only 25k miles for, obviously, a much higher price, but then after doing some research on the forum i've come to the conclusion that i will end up spending the same money to fix the same things, i would've paid the difference just to buy some time, maybe 1 year, and i am not sure if it was a good deal in the end so i preferred to pay less and do all the required work on the car and have peace of mind...then again the resale value on the beasts isn't great either, not too many are really interested in buying them if they do some researches before and see how expensive these cars can be to run...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

I've been smiling for 8.5 yrs/117k. My wife even called it attractive the other day - an adjective that I am not used to hearing her express. Enjoy!
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Paid $33k for a 2 owner with 32k miles. But I have tune/exaust, and every receipt from every time the car has gone near a dealer(was serviced every year by first owner who only put 11k miles on it!), plus all receipts for all the upgrades that were bought from stratmosphere and installed by Audi dealer! I literally have a manila folder that is overflowing and I have all 3 keys. So I'm satisfied
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    I've been smiling for 8.5 yrs/117k. My wife even called it attractive the other day - an adjective that I am not used to hearing her express. Enjoy!
    Although less miles, I'm in a similar boat.

I also came from a "regular" commuter: Accord.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Nice story. Any photos of your car, plans to mod it? Must feel very quick after the Camry.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Amar View Post
    Nice story. Any photos of your car, plans to mod it? Must feel very quick after the Camry.
    There will be many mods I am sure. My plans are to keep it a subtle nice daily driver… add to the looks… add to the enjoyment of the commute… add power, without adding noise. I want to keep it quiet. My Nova roars (3 inch pipes from headers back). Whole neighborhood shakes when I fire it up. For the RS6, its unexpected. I could be playing classical music at a red light, but when that light turns green, the BEAST will blow your undies off. No one knows, unless they know. I love the sound of downpipes and catbacks but its just not what I'm interested in at this time. So we will see where this goes.

Right now, I am waiting on my MTM chip to return from Montreal. I did the RNS-E swap. I did the Sportec Cooling. I am sure I am just getting started.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    Paid $33k for a 2 owner with 32k miles. But I have tune/exaust, and every receipt from every time the car has gone near a dealer(was serviced every year by first owner who only put 11k miles on it!), plus all receipts for all the upgrades that were bought from stratmosphere and installed by Audi dealer! I literally have a manila folder that is overflowing and I have all 3 keys. So I'm satisfied
    Great deal! This is what I am used to going after. Congrats on a great car and a killer deal! Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    OK, you got me there. By the way, how did you get white?

I bought mine with 47k on the clock in immaculate shape for $28.5 almost 4 years ago.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

If you check the vin number sticky you will see I'm tracking many low (<50k) cars and IMO 35k for an excellent example is a little on the high side, but not outrageous, those receipts are worth a lot of potentially spared headaches and cost too.
    Most $30k+ have 20-30k miles, but we've heard of problems with low mileage cars from sitting anyway.
    I say good job and enjoy the shit out of it - it's only money