Thread: Transmission- 517 vs IPT Rebuild Experience

Transmission- 517 vs IPT Rebuild Experience

My original transmission went south at 115K miles. I had it rebuilt by IPT at that time. As chronicled earlier, Ty (IPT's representative) was full of promises about turn around time and how strong the transmission would be upon return. Well- as some of you ol timers know- the rebuild took forever. During the rebuild- Ty was full of sh!t and was very difficult to contact and deal with during the process. Ty had trouble speaking facts due to a forked tongue. After the rebuild, I sent a complaint to the IPT owner with supporting documentation of the sorry service. IPT's owner never responded. nothing..silence. At first the transmission ran okay. However; within 15K miles- it just never seemed quite right. It just never had the "solid" feel. This past spring, the IPT transmission went south with approximately 40K miles rolled.

Enter 517 transmission. I contacted Sam at 517 and discussed having them rebuild the transmission. Sam was a breath of fresh air after dealing with Ty at IPT. Sam made his proposal and pitch to me. Sam was very responsive and was easily reached via phone during the entire process. The process did take a couple weeks longer than anticipated. There was a axle seal leak when the new transmission was installed. However; Sam picked up the cost for my indy tech to repair without issue when I contacted him. I have now rolled for several months and put about 6K miles on the rebuilt transmission.

The 517 transmission feels great. The 517 transmisson just "feels better" than the IPT transmission felt. It rows through the gears crisply, and I could not be happier with the performance. It tames the brute torque force monster putting the power to the ground...

My less than .03 worth...
    210K miles rolled

Thank you for sharing your experience. This sounds like $5000 worth of advice, not just 2 cents.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Wow Randy! Didn't even realize you were having these problems. Verrry good to hear about your expeirience. Give us any other findings/updates.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Glad it's working out, thanks much for the heads up!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience. This sounds like $5000 worth of advice, not just 2 cents.
    Ditto.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I had the same experience dealing with Ty / IPT. Absolutely terrible customer service. The had my car for over 3 months and the run-around they gave me all the time was ridiculous.

Thankfully in my case the transmission has been rock solid. The only issues I've had are an axle seal leak and a small leak from the pan that the dealership caught and repaired last time it was in, but other than that it locks up nice and hard and feels great.

If I had to do it again I'd try someone else like 517, or I'd ship IPT the tranny. Don't take your car to IPT.