Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front rotors - weird wear

front rotors - weird wear

i have noticed a few days ago, after i heard some strange noise when braking hard, that both front rotors have some strange marks on them. The brake pads seem to have at least 1/3 left but still i get the noise when braking hard....should i change the rotors as well? the lip on the rotors is barely noticeable when i cross my finger over...both brake pads and rotors are OEM ...last time when i changed the front control arms i took a look at the pads and they seemed to have all kind of little cracks, i guess this could be the cause of the marks? i've never tracked the car nor did i heat up the brakes...

Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

The OEM pads have 5 rivets about 1/2 thru the pad material and THAT is digging into your OEM rotors!

Get that crap out of there and get some Hawks before it is too late and the rotors are ruined!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

this means they're out of their life? if so, how come no warning light on my dashboard? i am 100% sure the wiring is ok and the sensor is working...do these rivets come out before the sensor does?

which Hawk should i go for? i see quite a few on ecs...

Yep, I swear my pads were 1/4 through and posts started digging into rotors. Yep one off the may oddities of the car, stock pads dig into rotors with no warning, dunno.....

Stocks bit good, but dusted a lot, Hawk HPS very predictable, low dust, nice and grabby once heated....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

ben916, your sig says EBC Reds, tell us about those
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I also received no brake warning indicator but you could hear/feel the grinding from the OEM pads onto the rotors...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    ben916, your sig says EBC Reds, tell us about those
    little to no dust but under moderate to aggro braking = blue crap on the rotors... ready to switch to Hawks...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

has anyone bought from partsgeek.com? they have good prices for the drilled rotors...i would buy them but honestly never heard of these guys, found them by mistake on google...i see they also have Zimmerman rotors, are they better than OEM?

I have bought some OEM Audi parts from them in the past, good prices.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

i am now between Hawk HPS and Ferodo.. any thoughts? Ferodo is indeed a bit cheaper but looks like they're pretty good...

Just did mine. Hawk Ceramics on all four corners from GummyGrip for $250 delivered. Just did the bedding today so we will see. Turned all four rotors and still above spec (1.25 front, 0.80 rear). Never got the brake pad warning light on mine even though they were shot. Put the Hawks on and now I get the friggin brake pad light. Any ideas to get rid of this?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Just did mine. Hawk Ceramics on all four corners from GummyGrip for $250 delivered. Just did the bedding today so we will see. Turned all four rotors and still above spec (1.25 front, 0.80 rear). Never got the brake pad warning light on mine even though they were shot. Put the Hawks on and now I get the friggin brake pad light. Any ideas to get rid of this?
    Interesting....

I do remember a thread where someone (early 2005/2006) that changed the pads from OEM to something else and they were provided essentially a terminator (for lack of a better term) for the sensor by the brake pad manufacturer.

Hmmm, my Hawk HPS's don't throw a code, cable not connected all the way?

i've ordered TRW for 90$ for the front....since it will most likely be the last set of pads before i'll change the rotors i said i would give it a shot for the cheaper ones...in Europe TRW has a good reputation and it is the OEM brakes manufacturer for many car makers...i think they should be ok for the daily driving, TRW says it's better than the OEM Pagids, less dust, increased durability and also comes with the sensor...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Hmmm, my Hawk HPS's don't throw a code, cable not connected all the way?
    That's what I'm thinking...I know they are plugged in, but must be a bad connection. Also, no boost the last couple of drives. Did the German's decide "you stupid American, you have no brakes therefore we give you no boost"? Brakes don't throw an ECU code so I would think not, but who knows.

Seems like a scan would show a code, although not enough to throw the CEL. My radio and battery show up on a scan with minor issues. Sorry about no boost, no fun...I utilized mine a bit this morning

Only codes I get are P17535/17537 Bank 1/2 too rich. Otherwise Hawks breaking in nicely. Found this on bedding brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I have hawk ceramic pads. I would advise my fellow RS6 owners to avoid them. The first day out with them I melted the wear sensors out of the pads, they dust about as bad as the OE pads did, and now with about 4000 miles on them they are due to be replaced. I'm not happy with them at all.
    www.jsmotorcar.com

....got the new TRW pads today and have already changed the old ones, here is how they look...no wonder they did those marks on the rotors...btw, the old ones were Pagid, OEM...

...now we're both happy again